main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Sometimes I think Star Wars should have just been a trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MisterJedi2002, Nov 8, 2023.

1. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    The beautiful thing about Star Wars is that it can be just a trilogy. There are dividers between the films of both time, creators, and marketing.

I'd rather let the audience members pick and choose what they like and leave the rest to me. I can honestly and unabashedly say that I genuinely love each Star Wars film. I am just a sucker for the the genre and for this particular fantasy world.

Clearly, there are some films/shows that I like better than others. As time goes on, my opinions change on these as well. Yet, I am able to find sheer enjoyment and good in each new iteration (and re-interpretation) that has followed in the wake of the 1977 original.

2. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Master star 2

May 3, 2018
    For me, there's ONLY the original 1977 - 83 trilogy and the 1978 Holiday Special. I ignore the two Ewok films from 1984 / 85 - too juvenile - even for me. Lol.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Our DVD/Blu-ray shelf spells it out for me... the SW section is "I, II, III, RO, IV, V, VI". I've watched everything else too, of course, but nothing else counts enough to be owned in a physical format. The PT is well below the OT for me, but still good enough to be included.

BlackRanger and darth-sinister like this.
  4. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    For many folks it is still a trilogy and see everything since 1983 as alternate eu fan fic , for me i consider Star Wars as 1-6 , prequels and the original trilogy so im glad for the prequels, as for the sequels they dont exist to me lol

Jo Lucas, Sith Lord 2015 and CLee like this.
  5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Anything made after A New Hope does not exist for me...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's a big assumption to say many people see it that way.

darthvader88 likes this.
  7. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    A lot do, though

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A lot, but it isn't a huge number.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think when it was just 6 movies alot of the first generation did decide the OT was main trilogy and the PT was trilogy that people wanted to forget. But once Disney started making loads of Star Wars it became hard to accept the OT as its own thing.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, I don't think it's too hard to view any movie/trilogy as if it's a stand-alone story even if I'm aware of a bigger context. This trilogy can definitely still be experienced as an isolated thing.

There's something about the mood of the last act of ROTS, particularly the Mustafar section, that to me feels completely true to the feeling I got from IV-VI in the past, though. That part is usually somewhere in the back of my mind when I watch those films. Not that that's a problem :)

only one kenobi likes this.
  11. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    For me the only REAL Star Wars content is that which was created by Lucasfilm prior to Disney purchasing it.

12. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    You can rip my Naboo Starfighter sleeping bag out of my cold, dead, elementary school kid hands.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm not a PT fan, but those chromed-out Naboo ships were super cool designs.

14. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    As a kid who grew up on the OT, there are times I feel a level of nostalgia for, and focus my viewing to only the OT. It takes me back to when my imagination told the stories not seen in the movies. Back to a time before those stories were filled in for us.

That said, and while many of the results may have been underwhelming to me, I am happy that we have gotten the PT and the ST. I'm happy we got the stand alones. Rogue One is my second favorite SW movie. Without the additional, we don't get RO. We don't get the Mandalorian. We don't get the Clone Wars. There has been a lot of great outcomes only made possible by the expansion past the OT.

darthvader88 and Sarge like this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I love the PT as much as the OT, but I do sometimes recall a certain magical feeling that I think Star War lost a little bit through the expansion of the world in the prequels (to say nothing of what it’s become since), and I think I wouldn’t mind if only the OT existed.

And it isn’t just the result of aging, although that certainly does amplify it.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The original trilogy will always be top dog, but I have nostalgia for the prequels too. I don’t like everything Disney have done, but I like quite a lot of it regardless. It keeps the brand alive with new content, to the point we wonder if there’s too much and they need to slow down. Not many brands have that problem.

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You would never satisfy Star Wars fandom. With as good as the OT was, people would crave for more. Between 1983-1999 the question that was always raised at Cons was when GL would create the next movie.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Correct. If GL didn't make it, I would've made it, and it would've been sooooo bad.

19. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    The story of a group of Rebels defeating a dictator Empire will never be an old story even if you dont believe it there are people who only care about the original Star Wars movies

only one kenobi and Sarge like this.
  20. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    Same. I bounced on Disney as a company way back in 2020 for my own reasons, but nothing I've heard about since makes me feel like I'm missing out on anything. Star Wars is a purely a nostalgia trip for me now.

SWfan2002 likes this.
  21. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Things like Star Wars and Star Trek probably would not be as remembered today if they simply stopped early.on...

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its true, its hard to say where Star Wars would be today if it was just the OT. We would have entered the era where a generation probably wouldn't have grown up with it. Unlike the 90s that was still fairly close to the 80s.

But then of course what happens when something starts to fade generations on? they remake it.

23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If the OT stood alone, it may be more of a revered curiosity than a culturally relevant staple by now, but I don’t necessarily think that would be a terrible thing. And I’m sure the universe would have continued to be expanded through other media, so it wouldn’t have died out completely anyway.

only one kenobi likes this.
  24. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    The irony being that Star Trek became a success because it was stopped early on. It was only after its cancellation, in syndicated re-runs, that the original series became popular enough to make it a viable competitor in the post-Star Wars cinematic landscape.

It was also a victim of franchise fatigue in 2005, long before the MCU and current rush for content coined the phrase. You'd think they'd learn!

BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  25. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I think it'd be about as culturally relevant as Jaws, E.T. Back to the Future, or The Godfather.
    Star Wars had already cemented it's place as an all time iconic film right there in 1977.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024