main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Spoilers] Inconsistencies with the rest of the saga

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by 11-4D, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I... just... wow...

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    A Chorus of Disapproval

Apparently this thread has run its course, I recommend to close it as the sarcastic recent posts suggest that there is no longer interest to discuss "inconsistencies" or "continuity errors" but rather to mock / harass people that bring these up. Thanx!

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Calm down. I thought your post was pretty interesting, but I also find it kind of funny - in a totally non-offensive way - how we, as the nerds we are, can disect these movies down to the smallest details.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I am calm and I've seen worse given my experience in this and other message boards. But maybe you consider asking yourselves if a "Who cares?" attitude is attracting newbies to enlist and participate here at the JCF. I find this aforementioned attitude rather counter-productive, nothing less and nothing more.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Once a certain level of minutiae starts getting nitpicked, you need to expect a bit of eye rolling, IMHO. Keep in mind that the image insisting on strict consistency couldn't even get the name of Revenge of the Sith right.

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Artoo-Dion

I fail to see why a spelling error taints the essential findings, but thank you for the heads-up. ;)

[​IMG]

7. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    One inconsistency that bugs me is that there weren't any shield effects on the space ships during the space battle. Every laser that hit a hull made huge sparks and a large plum of smoke as if it were vaporizing metal instead of a splintering laser bolt effect or a bright white flash.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

Looks familiar....but not the same person even though they both are members of Vader's SD crew.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think it was meant to be the same person by Edwards as an easter egg for fans but Pablo Hidalgo totally b***sed it up, just like he did with the BlasTech A300 and BlasTech A310.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The more I see Rogue One the less inconsistencies I see. In fact I can't remember what I may have said earlier in this thread about them :confused:

I think my initial concern was over the plans being beamed to the ship and how this tied in with the originals dialogue, when RO actually showed a disc being passed to the ship instead and wether or not Vader saw that disc. But TBH I now think that RO was so well done and enjoy it so much that I don't even consider it to be an inconsistency.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Not sure if this may have been suggested earlier in the thread - but it's possible that the plans WERE remotely "beamed" to the Tantive IV, and the troopers at the end of RO are just carrying a hard copy. That would also explain Vader's relative lack of urgency in getting hold of the hard copy in RO, as he knew that they would have to chase the ship down and capture it anyway.

Of course that kind of ruins the dramatic tension of the scene in RO, but it's one way of getting around it.

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I don't think Vader's too interested in splitting hairs....we don't know if he's even aware of what the troops were carrying over to the Tantive. As far as he knows, the plans were "beamed" to the Tantive...even if the Tantive crew and audience know otherwise.

Vader's not perfect, after all:

"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion
    has not helped you conjure up the
    stolen data tapes, or given you
    clairvoyance enough to find the
    Rebel's hidden fort..."

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Probably an inconsistency for those which believe both corvettes to be the same, not an inconsistency for those that believe both corvettes to be different Tantives. ;)

CT-867-5309 and Snafu55 like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have discovered a new inconsistency between Rogue One and the rest of the Saga. I consistently re-watch Rogue One infinitely more than I revisit any of the films in the Saga.

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Me too...! It has sooo much depth. What i thought I didn't like the first time I watched it (The planet hopping) turned out to be one of the best things about it as far as re-watchability...

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If I only have an hour to spare, I start the film at Krennic's visit to Mustafar.

The inconsistency is that I cannot recall the last time I put one of the saga films in my blu ray player.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  19. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I personally think Vader didn't know for sure what they were passing along. It could have just been the ship's log for all he knew. And the transmission that Jyn and Cassian sent out was not a targeted transmission. It was to any ships who could receive it. Tantive may have (even only partially) received the transmission from Scariff, and that could have been what Vader was referring to in ANH.

Sarge likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rogue One handled this plotline really well IMO.

In the ANH crawl they say Rebels managed to steal the secret plans.
    In ANH, Vader asks for the transmissions they intercepted.
    Vader then says tear the ship apart to find the plans.

Nothing in Rogue One contradicts this dialogue.

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    themoth wrote

In the ANH crawl they say Rebels managed to steal the secret plans.
    In ANH, Vader asks for the transmissions they intercepted.
    Vader then says tear the ship apart to find the plans.

Nothing in Rogue One contradicts this dialogue.

I'll have to continue to disagree, as the original context in ANH was different:

IMPERIAL OFFICER The Death Star plans are not in the
    main computer.

This tells us that the Imperials had expected to find the plans there which makes sense because they believed that the plans had been transmitted and stored in the main computer.

VADER Where are those transmissions you
    intercepted? What have you done with those plans?

Since the plans are not in the main computer, Vader wants to know what physical shape the plans have taken, i.e. he is certain they were copied to a data carrier before the main computer banks containing the plans had been erased. Therefore

VADER Commander, tear this ship apart until
    you've found those plans

A little while later, his search teams still haven't located the data carrier, so he now asks the princess

VADER I want to know
    what happened to the plans they sent
    you.

Leia doesn't provide this information either, it's Commander Praji who wraps it up:

Lord Vader, the battle station plans
    are not aboard this ship!

Then where could these have gone?

And no transmissions were made.

So the Tantive IV didn't re-transmit the plans somewhere else and then erased their computer banks. It's very interesting that Praji mentions this option as if they'd seen something like this before... ;)

An escape pod was jettisoned during the
    fighting, but no life forms were
    aboard.

That's the only explanation left where the plans could have gone, therefore Vader concludes

VADER She must have hidden the plans in
    the escape pod.

Of course, another option might have been that Antilles or Leia had destroyed the plans / the incriminating evidence, but Vader would not have accepted that explanation unless he made certain that the plans really didn't go somewhere else, as it could have been a lie.