main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Age of Rebellion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senpezeco, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MarcelloF91

MarcelloF91 Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2015
    I had a good laugh about Tarkin fantasizing about taking his shirt off and beating the crap out of his subordinates.

I liked both issues, but they haven't grabbed me like the first two issues of Age of Republic. Might just be because this era is more explored than the Republic era, though.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I read it again. Only six of the gunners were spaced, out of 168. Which leaves 162 left to destroy Yavin.

Supreme Leader Woke and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I expected to see more leading skills and tactical movements from Tarkin, instead we just see more savagery from Tarkin. This is the guy who blows up an entire planet, of course he is savage.

Other than that, not bad. Tarkin showed how careful he is when it comes to choosing his own crew, otherwise he couldn't be one of the top officers of the Emperor.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Did you not read Tarkin-by-Luceno?

Yes, taptalk I know what I'm typing.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    No Death Star? Not My IG-88.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    What if...

The Resistence special features Palpatine?

He's strangely missing an issue if not

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I read Tarkin but I heard the shirtless spoiler during the Celebration streaming coverage. Oh well. No big deal. It's kind of cool they were able to fit a little story in between Rogue One and ANH for him. Other than that, it was fine.

It sounds like Tarkin's homeworld was revealed in the recent Tarkin novel so I'm guessing everything in the book jelled with this comic? Seems like they had the book in mind when they wrote the comic.

9. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    yeah, it's completly consistent with the novel, both in story and in themes.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Did anyone read the Age of Rebellion Special comic? The IG-88 story was fantastic, and Yoda's story was great too. However...

WTF was that Biggs and Porkins story??? I'm sorry but that was absolutely terrible.

11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, the Porkins story was... weird. It's nice that they were trying something stylistically different, but it didn't really gel for me. The dialogue felt very childlike, and it seems much more suited to a non-canon story than a canon one.

Also...what on earth is Biggs's timeline now? If his deleted ANH scene with Luke is canon (and it apparently is), he's intending on joining the Rebellion on the day of the Tantive IV's capture. But here he's just a regular fixture of the Rebellion able to spend eleven days on vacation, and apparently returns to some base other than Yavin 4. I don't remember anything really straightening out how much more we see of Rebel Biggs than ANH implies we should.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Biggs/Porkins story reminded me of something one might have found in Star Wars Tales back in the day. I'm guessing it's intended to be non-canon.

13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I loved the Biggs and Porkins story, timeline issues aside. The art was great, I loved all the weird aliens.

ColeFardreamer and Senpezeco like this.
  14. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Seconded, the Star Wars Tales vibes were major and the alien designs were really fun.

Biggs: "I know a secret bar inside an asteroid. It's called Mermeia's. They've got everything you could imagine, and even some things you can't."
    [​IMG]
    I can feel my creation!

15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Oh its so canon! It better be canon. True Tales vibe and quirkyness aside, it asked some pretty deep questions about war and fighting, the costs, the individuals fighting it etc. and that was contrasting all the quirky art and fun jokes. I think a great antithetic mix of style and theme that perfectly drove some important grave questions home. This comic needs to win some award for that!

Well Biggs was out of character and timeline issues are there plenty (weeks that do not fit ANH), but we have seen weirder. In the end its like Lego SW, a canon story as told through a twisted noncanon style and all fits in the end. But its gravitas is important and needs to stay!

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    It's not a hill I'm willing to die on by any means, but just to throw it out there, it could do all that and remain just as meaningful while also being non-canon. Its canon status neither adds nor subtracts from the quality and depth of the story.

Sly442 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Isn’t the deleted Tosche Station scene from the film non-canon anyway? Also, even in Legends, they had it so Biggs had already defected to the Rebellion at that point and was just lying to Luke that he hadn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's cited in Biggs's Databank, and generally the Story Group tends to preserve actual complete deleted scenes in canon. Also, elements like Camie and Fixer are only really found in that scene, but they've been used elsewhere in canon, so it seems strange to write one aspect of the scene off but keep several others.

And yeah, the need to start retconning or fudging the hows and whys by suggesting Biggs isn't being truthful is kinda why I'd rather the SG didn't overlook when Biggs is meant to become a Rebel.

19. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh, I'm so excited by the preview of the Vader one! not that I'm expecting to see Trachta back in canon at all (secretly crosses fingers) but the idea of meeting some new Grand Moffs, and their interaction with Vader, seems absolutely intriguing to me!!!
    About the new issues
    I rather liked Tarkin´s, but was disappointed by the Yoda one. Didn't find it that interesting, and besides, I've always pictured him as a vegetarian...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Jarrus likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Loved IG-88 story, it as my favorite story of this issue. I also liked how Yoda's story echoes Luke's story in TLJ and failure being the greatest teacher. Interesting how he said Jedi don't need lighstabers, only the Force which helps them better when their mind is at peace, which may partly explains why Rey does this so quickly. The last story is silly but also useful to show that SW is more than simply good vs. evil, imperials also have a life and some rebels are revengeful. That mustache though. "Arnold" also pulled me out of the story for a moment.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The IG-88 story was awesome. The EU treated him horribly and they’ve injected a new level of mystique and badassedry into his character.

The Porkins one sort of reminded me of Saga

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just read the Special. I echo the above statements. The IG-88 story was very cool. The Yoda story was good. That Porkins/Biggs story was really out there. It was very wordy. The use of a narrator for the first two stories were great. Not sure why they departed from that formula for the final story.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The Yoda story validates what Luke wanted to do in the last Jedi. I thought that was good

24. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    You know, as much as I may preach "story is more important than continuity" I have to admit
    my inner continuity geek was pretty jazzed to see relevant references to Smuggler's Run and the Princess Leia miniseries in that preview - and Greg Pak doesn't just reference them, he clearly understands the timing and interaction between the two stories. That's good stuff.
    Pak's work on Age of Rebellion has been pretty solid so far, and it gives me strong optimism for what lies ahead when he takes over the mainline series.