main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Adella7, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    This was almost good enough to earn one of those Luke "Every word ..." memes but then none of it is either amazing or impressive. Ahh well ... some other time perhaps. Actually on second thought probably not.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  2. Huyck

Huyck Jedi Knight star 2

May 5, 2019
    I didn't try to impress you to be honest.

3. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Oh well, it's alright. Though, I find it a big possibility that we'll see major expansions to Galaxy's Edge in the years to come. I find it very interesting and a big opportunity that they used the blank canvas of a new planet, Batuu as an outpost where people across the Galaxy drop by to tell their stories and I think this is how it can connect the current trilogy and Skywalker Saga to future sagas that present new and different content. As it's a place of many diverse set of stories and characters, we can see new attractions that takes audiences to new stories and experiences that can relate to future films/TV series and yet, it'll all fit in well because Batuu is where all these stories collide to be heard.

So we'll have Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance for the present Skywalker Saga and maybe we could see more attractions if there is the potential for it to be told. Then, we could see attractions related to the new sagas by D&D and Rian and the KOTOR, where the experiences can take place in the past, present and future and yet all fit in. I don't expect there to be a standalone Star Wars theme park as it can be unsustainable but I can see them taking a 'a park in a park' approach where we'll have Galaxy's Edge expand expansively and contain up to 6 or more attractions in the perimeter of Disneyland.

A tour of Disneyland’s Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge in 30 photos
    The Star Wars universe is real, and in California
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/29/18644706/disneyland-star-wars-land-galaxys-edge-map-photos-images

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Dedication Moment
    with Bob Iger, George Lucas, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford & Billy Dee Williams

First in the Galaxy | Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
    This is going to be all of us when we visit for the very first time :)

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Walking Tour of the Land! Disneyland, California

Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run POV

ChrisLyne likes this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    If you're so bothered by its presence you can PM a mod instead of spamming the thread.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    That Falcon stuff looks bananas. :cool:

Great work on Hondo too, he's awesome.

Def Trooper likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This thread is fine here. Other sub-forums have threads about this too, and it's sometimes just so that regulars of specific sub-forums have their "own" version of a thread for certain topics. Other topics might get locked or redirected, but this one is fine here.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm a bit surprised that none of the next generation cast were there last night as part of Iger's presentation, given that Galaxy's Edge is specific to the sequel trilogy. I guess maybe they'll be in Orlando?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Some of the Marvel stars were there. Well one of 'em anyway.

9. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    My guess they will be at the opening of the new dark ride “Rise of the Resistance” which opens later this year. Daisy, John, Oscar, and Adam all play their characters it in. It takes place between episodes 8 and 9.

10. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    So reviews of the ride are coming in mostly positive but the big problem is that it's interactive. This is something Disney has been pushing for a long time and it's something that they shouldn't be. So the way it works is one person is the pilot and everyone else has a button to push at specific times. Problem with this is the pilot has a signficant control of how the ride plays out and the buttons everyone else has to push are off to the sides so you have to turn your whole body away and look away from the screen.

They did the same thing with Mission to Mars in Epcot and it's awful.

Rides should not have this level of interactivity.

but yeah can't wait to ride it though

11. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I was able to visit the park during previews and it is fantastic. The most immersive theme park experience I've ever seen. They really did a fabulous job with it.

12. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    lucky

reyvision likes this.
  13. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I have no interest in merely watching a video in a shaky chair. Interactivity is what makes is worth doing.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    But it would be annoying if the pilot sucks and makes the ride less enjoyable for everyone, and having to look/turn away from the screen to press your button seems kind of lame too. :p

15. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    exactly if you have ever been on Mission Space on Epcot then you know the interactivity doesn't make the ride better.

the concept of an interactive ride is cool but when you have 6 people in the vehicle it becomes hard. Immersion is the better choice such as with Star Tours or The Indiana Jones ride. 0 interactivity but amazing immersion

Cave of Erised, Def Trooper and EHT like this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Interactivity sounds like a cool concept, but yes, I think it would often be hard to pull off in a way that actually makes it more enjoyable for most riders.

17. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I was able to try out the pilot and engineer both. The pilot was much harder and yeah, if you have a bad pilot, your entire flight basically fails. I liked the engineer better because it was still fun but I didn't feel as much pressure as the pilot. Most people will probably like being the pilot best though.

18. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I also wonder if gunning is difficult. It looks nearly impossible to see out of the Falcon's cockpit and stay on target, unless it's just the angle of the recording and in-person there's a wider field of view.

19. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    the trick is you have to make it where it's fun and add's to the experience but if you don't want to participate you aren't punished.

Guidman , Cave of Erised and EHT like this.
  20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    call me when there's a 100mph podracer ride

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    fanboys: Disney doesn't do enough world building!

Disney: (builds world)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  23. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    To jump off this a bit, Disney Parks fans on sites I read complain Disney doesn't create new lands anymore and just replicates movies. The second they create one that, though based on movies, allowed them to build a whole new world for the parks custom-made to blend with Frontierland and Critter Country... "But I wanted to go to Jabba's palace!"

24. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    yeah that is a an issue a lot of people have and I can see that. Instead of creating new rides based on new ideas they just take what's hot and make a ride tie in even though the property might not last.

My bigger issue is they aren't investing enough in the parks. What I mean is Star Wars shouldn't be a land with only 2 rides it should be a whole park. Have the Coursacnt be where you enter and walk up to the Jedi Council and then have lands for Naboo, Tatooine, and others.

I mean look at their other additions recently. Frozen the largest animated movie of all time just got a reskin of an existing ride.

In an investor call a year or so again they said they didn't like investing in the parks because they believed the market wasn't growing. Meanwile Universals market share increased by 20% since Harry Potter land opened.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i've felt the same way, it seems like Star Wars could support a larger area, not just shoe-horned into a corner of the park.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.