main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016

Maybe Ken Leung might be a better choice :p

2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Oh my god what a bad mix up there on my part. Thanks for correcting me.

Haha, though now I want Ken Jeong in a Star War.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Did canon say what happened to Statura? I don't remember him even being mentioned in 8 when everyone was fretting after Ackbar's death and Holdo was brought in.

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    That's making a lot of assumptions that DS2 is the same design as DS1 or that either of them are similar to Star Trek, I think what we've seen is so limited in terms of real details that the idea Galen has created a specific weakness that wouldnt exist otherwise is plausible.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If ds2 were different from ds1, it wouldn't have blown on the reactor being hit.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

6. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    One hit vs. multiple hits. I don't even know what position I'm arguing for at this point, just, stop pretending the two movies depict the same sequence of events.

BigAl6ft6, vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, to go back to what Galen actually says:
    As opposed to multiple blasts directly into the middle of it.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And yet Dodonna emphasizes how it's necessary to have a precise hit: "The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station."

This is emphasized very much in ANH itself. The movie emphasizes again and again how the shot is extremely difficult (not impossible for anyone other than Luke, but it would be like asking someone to beat Serena Williams in a tennis match. Most won't be able to do it).

If the reactor were so unstable, even the debris and blast wave from Red Leader's missed hit would have destroyed the station. Proton torpedoes are not nerf balls. From TFA Incredible Cross Sections on proton torpedoes: Upon impact with a target, the energy warhead would release clouds of high-velocity proton particles.

Once again Galen's line doesn't match up with what we see in ANH itself.

"The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations."

R2 could have told

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You need a precise hit to the tiny hole leading to the reactor. If you miss the tiny hole, it just hits the wall of the trench. The reason they used proton torpedoes is because the shaft was ray shielded.

I think Galen was expecting more like an infiltration team to be standing like right in front of the reactor, in which case they could've just shot it or something.

10. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes, that's why Dodonna's readout, and the events of the movie itself, show the torpedo having to travel down into the core of the station to even find the reactor. It's not like the whole damn station is made out of "reactor", and Erso does NOT say "a hit anywhere in the entire station will bring down the reactor".

But just keep saying things.

vncredleader and Sarge like this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    That would kill the infiltration team. They don't have transporters in Star Wars.

The interesting thing is that amidst all the Death Star blueprints, technical manuals, etc. out there, no one on this thread has been able to tell me how Galen realistically intended for the reactor to be hit without the exhaust port when they say the exhaust port is not his flaw. Period. Or as Leia would put it, "This is some sabotage, you didn't even have a plan on how it would work?"

I for one think it was the exhaust port, and an infiltration team hijacking an Imperial shuttle (a Tydirium) could "accidentally" drop a torpedo into the exhaust port during a ceremonial flyby of the Death Star. Without the TIEs and turbolasers, a top pilot and a targeting computer could do it easy and it won't be a one in a million shot that only few people could do that ended up happening in ANH's trench battle.

(Disregard my R2 line in my earlier post, for some reason my draft didn't discard properly)

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, what’s your point? Wouldn’t be any more dead Rebels from that method than the Battle of Yavin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader, Jedi Princess and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And probably a lot fewer than the number of rebels who died getting the plans on Scarif.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    To be fair, they could just send a droid infiltration team. But that might fail for a number of reasons (greater Imperial suspicion towards droids, reprogramming etc).

And I wouldn't expect droid recruitment into the Alliance to boost after word of this gets out. :c3po::r2:
    My point was made in that very post. If Galen's holomessage hadn't been interrupted, then he would have been able to give them the plans or coordinates painlessly without a fight.

Next, an Imperial shuttle manned by Rebels would then fly by the Death Star and "accidentally" hit the port. By this plan, no Rebels would die.

Pretending to be Imperials seems to be second nature to the Rebels, that's how the Rebels even get to Scarif at all.

I've kind of said most of what I need to say at this point. The only reason I'm repeating again I guess is that there seem to be some borderline personal comments from those who disagree (not going to name names but you can see one on this very page, and to be fair I don't see those posts anymore).

I am glad I was able to resolve the issue with @BobaMatt on his comment months back about someone other than Luke making the shot being about Sequel hate or whatever, since I thought that was really out of line at the time but didn't know how to report it or whatever. But that's resolved, all is good. :)

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

sidv88 likes this.
  16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Also the explosions themselves are different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Which goes beyond the more detailed shot, there is more time, and clear signs that the station is undergoing serious damage what with the hanger Luke is in falling apart and eventually blowing up prior to the station going up.

there is a clear difference in how they blow up. Plus like Positive said earlier about TPM; the main reactor for an exponentially smaller vessel is a different animal entirely. My take on the DS1 is that a hit to that main reactor would be a problem but a single torpedo would not ignite the whole thing, or at least not set all the reactors off. The DSII I always thought might have been helped in part by the station being right about to fire after the reactor was taken out. Yes the DS1 was as well, but one was completed the other was not.

Maybe not the best comparison, but I imagine it is like the reactor being hit otherwise would be like several boiler rooms being taken out on a battleship, with the hairtriggered to explode main reactor being like the Bismark hitting a magazine on the aft of Hood and taking it down so quickly.
    [​IMG]

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    By the canon novel Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel, the hypermatter reactors of a smaller vessel and the Death Star are basically the same tech.

"The hypermatter reactor, the drives, all the rest, are merely elaborations of the armaments our finest engineering firms have been able to provide to Star Destroyers and other vessels."

Going by this line, the instant destruction of the Vuutun Palaa upon reactor hit in TPM is indeed relevant to how the Death Stars are destroyed.

Considering that the whole Battle of Naboo was intended by Lucas to echo and homage his ANH film, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas himself was thinking along those lines.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh for sure, but an elaboration would easily and understandably include a larger scale. It would have to be, we saw how huge the DSII's reactor was, not hard to imagine that that thing going off is inherently a heck of a lot more destructive than the one on the Vuutun Palaa. Heck we dont even need to imagine.

[​IMG]

One blew the vessel into wrecked big chunks, the other took a station and made it into scrap. I mean if the TROS object is the DSII then that did survive, but like still the level of destruction is profusely different and TPM referencing ANH does not change that fact. Relevance is not enough. Not when we see the difference in scale. The DSII and Lucrehulk both got torn apart with the DS being way larger and utter of a destruction.

With the DSI seemingly being far more complete and instantaneous. The reactors are relevant, but different beasts. One quickly blew apart the vessel and ripped it to several husks; the other in mere seconds and in seemingly one blast destroyed the whole station. I think the similarity between the DSII and the scaled down Lucrehulk exhibits how particularly rigged to blow the DSI was. Neither of the latter examples went up that completely, nor as quickly

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm also wondering how we know that what Anakin shoots in TPM actually is the Lucrehulk's main reactor. Why would it be sitting there off to the side in a hangar bay? Honestly, what we see in the film suggests that isn't the main reactor at all -- the small explosion of whatever Anakin hit with his torpedoes leads to a chain reaction of small explosions that lead to the bigger one (the one that actually looks like a reactor explosion) that takes out the main sphere.

Sarge likes this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    There seems to be a problem with the main reactor.
    Impossible! Nothing can get through our shield.

Keep in mind that even if Anakin didn't shoot the main reactor directly but a part of the reactor module, that supports the idea that a hit to any part of the reactor would destroy the entire vessel, indicating this is a common occurrence long before Galen's supposed sabotage that supposedly made the reactor more unstable (hard to see how it could get any more unstable than its predecessors in TPM honestly).

21. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I did forget about that line, though I'm not convinced that proves that what Anakin shot was the main reactor. (Whatever it was, putting something that could blow up the entire ship if damaged out in the open, in a landing bay, was an epic design failure. A crash-landing vulture droid or an accidental weapons discharge could -- in fact, did -- wipe out an entire Lucrehulk!)
    Which again hinges on the illogical assumption that the reactor on the Lucrehulk (or any ship) is exactly the same as the reactor aboard the Death Star except for physical size. There are any number of reasons why that doesn't make sense.

Rogue One retconned the exact nature of the flaw in the Death Star design in a minor, almost negligible way. Honestly, I think a lot more is being made of it here than the nature of the retcon really requires.

Sarge and Jedi Princess like this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And to be fair, a lot of stuff in Star Wars does not make sense scientifically, and I am indeed shaking my head watching/reading some of the bad science in it as a licensed engineer.

What I can say though, is that everything I've said is backed up by evidence found in canon works and I've quoted the lines etc. Now it's certainly possible characters were making mistakes or misspeaking. Regarding the reactor in TPM and the Death Star, I did quote the appropriate line in Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel that seemed to indicate that the Death Star reactors were analogous to smaller vessels' as scientifically unsound as that may seem. It does point to the writers' intent that they be similar.

We all know what Galen said, but given the preponderance of evidence I feel shows that SW reactors blow upon hit anyway, those are the evidence I'm quoting/referring to in my posts.

Note that not once in 3 Lucas movies did anyone remark upon the oddity of a vessel blowing up upon reactor hit. The only time this comes up is in Galen's holomessage, in a movie not made by Lucas. (Yeah I know Disney is all equal canon now but I feel when we get contradictory messages I find myself falling on the old G-canon, T-canon, C-canon tiers again).

Add into the fact that Galen had to prepare for the possibility his holomessage would be intercepted. If he said "exhaust port" and the Empire found it--sabotage over. By saying "reactor", he could still be guiding the Rebels along the right path of thinking while simultaneously sending Imperial spies on a wild goose chase wondering what's wrong with the reactor if they actually found his message.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So I'll actually side with Sid here, in TCW the clones discuss blowing up a Seppie supply ship. Fives mentions that Anakin blew up a reactor that downed the vessel

sidv88, The Positive Fan and Daneira like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Don't know if this adds to the conversation but here are the various explosions the DS 1 had, throughout the decades. Two of which are actually legit.

Although fun fact about Star Wars Empire at War : Forces of Corruption, there is a mission were you go to Yavin IV and there are HUGE chunks of the DS 1 around

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Well, that settles that, at least. I still think that's a weird place to put a main reactor, though. :p

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.