main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jun 12, 2020.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, it will be balanced against the TIE Fighter, and the B-Wing will be balanced against the Y-Wing.

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    don't get my hopes up

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Yeah, Imperial ships that don't get shields get powershunting instead, letting them through a lot of energy in either weapons or engines all at once, Defender won't have that.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm wondering if we're going to be able to do this...

[​IMG]

...or if that capability didn't survive past the "Blade Wing" prototype stage. It would certainly add something interesting to Fleet Battles.

Dawud786 likes this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's pretty similar to that one TIE Bomber component

IG: @jedisufism

BigAl6ft6 and Wrinty like this.
  6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I've been playing dogfights recently. I'm pretty terrible, but at least not totally useless to the team.

I am only level 11. Havent been doing much multiplayer.

7. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    That weapon is already available as a component for the Y-wing (and Quarrie is even credited as the creator), so I'd guess it'll also be available for the B-wing, since the two appear to be sharing a lot of the bomber components.

CooperTFN, DarthJaceus and Dawud786 like this.
  8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Just wondering, is it possible to create a match with yourself as the only player and no bots...and then just watch the capital ships shoot it out? Or, as I'm guessing, do the capital ships do nothing to each other?

9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Right now you can't so custom matches. I havent gotten a fleet battle to the point that flagships go head to head.

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Only one capital ship can take damage at a time, and they have shields which recharge but the defending capital ship tears apart the attacking corvette fairly quickly, which generally add the most points towards which side is on the offensive so it would just go round and round for ages until the timer runs out.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So I finally managed to unlock the PS4 trophy for completing the campaign on pilot (and story, retroactively) when it didn't unlock the first time. basically if you finished the campaign and didn't get the trophy, go back to your mission list and see if any completed missions (aside from the two prologues) that you didn't get mission complete medals for (some early missions I didn't get any!), go back and replay those ones so you get mission complete medals and viola, it'll unlock the trophy. I actually did it by finishing the 3 New Republic missions and got the medals and even finishing the one Imperial mission didn't matter, it seems to be connected to the New Republic missions and getting medals. This may have been a day one bug that got patched out but anyway (I noticed these were the early missions that I didn't get the medals in but all the later missions I had all the medals) you have to make sure you have medals on all missions to unlock the trophy.

I seem to be doing okay in multiplayer if I do fleet maches vs AI (easy) there's enough players to at least get one game going after 5 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Does it make me a bad person if I said Jedi Fallen Order was a much better game. Don't get me wrong Squadrons is OK but Fallen Order actually had a story and characters I cared about. Here we've got just trite phrases and clichés for character interaction

AusStig likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Squadrons clearly wasn't meant to be a blockbuster game with an excellent original story or much post launch support given the price tag. The DLC ships are surprising.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they could go a lot further with story and character creation, if they are so inclined.

I can see this as a franchise that spans the Clone Wars, GCW, and Resistance eras easily.

A lot about this game is bare bones and it is clearly aimed primarily at being a multi-player experience. It could be a *very* immersive story experience, though.

fett 4, Mia Mesharad and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah it would be great if they spanned all eras, but it's mainly a multiplayer fracas however we get a cool story and single player experience complete with a few cameos from across the saga. I've been booting around on Fleet Battles vs AI (easy) and been enjoying it for multiplayer, no extreme hardcore players spacing me every five minutes unlike dogfight. even got a Baby Yoda bobblehead with free points they dished out somehow. When you use the boost Baby Yoda's head bobbles hahaha. While I could see more multiplayer incoming (and there is), I doubt we'll get more single player. Oh and the new multiplayer map forstar heaven I had like 3 deaths due to pilot error smashing into the space station.

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I wish there was a CorSec paint job, Corellian Jed Cred bling, and the Rogue Squadron crest in this game.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Plus, it is a flight sim.

It is not like Rogue Squadron or X-Wing or Tie Fighter or X-Wings vs Tie Fighter were known for their memorable cast of characters or deep plot development.

Frankly, by flight sim standards I would say squadrons is pretty good on those fronts.

Dawud786 likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The B-Wing/Defender update is tomorrow according to the new 'This week in Star Wars' video

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  19. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    The update is out

The Defender's screens have a sort of LCD effect on them, compared to the other TIEs which is more LED like

[​IMG]

One small nitpick in the cockpit, the inside rear does not match the exterior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might that hexagonal thing on the inside, be a screen rather than a window - projecting, live, information from a camera that only looks like an "outside hexagonal window"?

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    So ... what do you reckon the odds are of there being a sequel to this just in time for Rogue Squadron?

Jedi Ben, BigAl6ft6 and Dawud786 like this.
  22. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Ah cool, the TIE Cadet helmet from that Solo deleted scene

[​IMG]

You could rationalize it that way.

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    "solo flying" that can't be a coincidence. [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think I'm gonna have a long learning curve on the TIE Defender. Did a practice run against X-Wings and got wrecked. That hull is flimsy.

The B-Wing is almost as slow as those Resistance bombers, but boy does it pack a punch! Not sure how useful the gyro thing is, other than having that design quirk. I doubt it's worthwhile enough as a feature for me to sacrifice some other useful aux.

25. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I always preferred how the original Defender had that rear nacelle as a larger powerplant, which made sense. Sacrificing internal volume just to put a tubular rear viewport through it seems rather questionable, so I'm good with the idea of it being a screen (in fact, I'm good with that on all TIEs - the view anywhere but dead ahead is abysmal, so the only way it would actually be a workable cockpit design is if they had some kind of external visual feed in the helmet eyepieces like the F-35's helmet-mounted display).

So how heavily nerfed is the Defender to make it balance with the Fighter and Interceptor? I gather the B-wing is just more sluggish than the Y-wing to trade for heavier firepower and maybe durability.

Iron_lord likes this.