main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Super Mario Bros. Movie (Starring Chris Pratt? Yes, Starring Chris Pratt)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Nov 14, 2017.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Charlie Day - Luigi - I can live with. His Always Phili character fits

Jack Black - Bowser - Yep

Chris Platt - Mario - Jury still out.

Is it wrong to believe that this version of Mario is more Bob Hoskins that the Mario in the 90's?

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It looks great, but eon’t top Sonic for me. You can’t make Mario cute like Sonic.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don’t think they were aiming for cute when they went with portly Italian plumber.

4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    This is the closest Chris's Pratt gets to playing a kid from Brooklyn

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    It looks....surprisingly...almost shockingly....good.

I think my 3 year old might like it. We'll stream it.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It literally sounds like the joke he made about not actually trying in the slightest.

On the one hand it’s a bit of a bummer because the rest of the trailer seems like a pleasant kid’s film, but on the other hand: LMAO his performance is everything I hoped for.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    We can also appreciate that "Gene Simmons of KISS" was just referenced in a Nintendo Direct for a family/all-ages movie.
    [​IMG]

Kato Sai likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, he's been cute for 31 years since Charles Martinet was hired based on his voice and accent.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 6

Feb 13, 2001
    Saw the Trailer.

Pratt's Mario isn't as bad as Ryan Reynold's Pikachu. Still, rather jarring.

But then, it is clear they are targeting the youngest possible audience here.

Still should be better then Bob Hoskins (with all due respsect...the material failed him).

I'll be curious to find out how they dub Mario for the Italian market. Might be worth watching subtitled.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Kato Sai likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They cast Chris Pratt because the stupid conventional wisdom in animated films is that you should exclusively hire recognizable big screen talent for your lead(s). That’s it. It’s got nothing to do with the age of the target audience because I’m pretty sure the kids they’re marketing towards don’t care about Chris Pratt. If anything they’ll probably gravitate towards Toad, since KMK is going for it. Then again kids are fickle and arbitrary and weirdly in-tune with subversion so maybe they’ll prefer the penguin without understanding why they like the irony, just that they do.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Rew likes this.
  11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Looks like a hit, if not a good movie. Every kid likes Mario,(or at least knows Mario) and they kind of played it safe it seems.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The NYCC panel that followed the Direct, with Jack Black on stage doing more of the Bowser voice (love how he says "Bowsah!"):

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You have to give parents a reason to sit in a theater with other screaming kids and watch this ****, for 70-90 minutes. Not to mention that many of us watched the 90's cartoons with celebrities like the DCAU. That was also pandering.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This “but it brings in the parents!” “rationale” wasn’t an accepted truism until Shrek - and even then appears to be more the product of Katzenberg pushing a marketing ideology for years rather than any actual box office evidence - so I suspect it’s not true at all but no one can push back on it. Regardless it doesn’t change the fact that Pratt is as badly miscast as everyone suspected.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer hits later tonight during a Mario movie Nintendo Direct at 5PM EST.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pics too. Little Pauline cameo in the city one.

17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016

Oh, they broke out Tanooki Mario.

DaddlerTheDalek and Rew like this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Peach is a bit... ... first Sonic trailer...

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Anya Taylor-Joy is every bit as perfect as the voice of Peach as I thought she'd be.

20. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Maybe they’ll kill off mario and peach will win the day.

Ngl though, smiled at the Rainbow Road bit. So many friendships ruined by super mario kart.

Rew likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My SMB games knowledge is scant at best, so I was definitely surprised to see Donkey Kong in this new trailer. I guess the whole "multiverse" fad is beyond just the comic films.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Donkey Kong has been a part of the Mario universe since the beginning. In the very first Donkey Kong game, Donkey is the villain, while you play as Mario, then only called Jumpman.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But that's clearly Donkey Kong Jr. having grown up and now wearing a tie.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I knew that of course, but has he been in any of the Super Mario games? I thought Koopa/Bowser have always been the main antagonist.

If I remember DK Jr. correctly, wasn't Mario the antagonist of those games?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As far as I'm aware, it's never been established that the Donkey Kong from the Donkey Kong Country series is grown up Donkey Kong Jr. As I recall (and pardon me if I'm a little rusty on the lore, it's been a while), the popular theory in the 90s was that Cranky was the original Donkey, and the tie-wearing DK is his grandson. So presumably DKjr's son.

darth-sinister likes this.