main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Sweeney Todd costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by blueeyedpadme, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Oh wow!! That looks amazing :D All the details and everything!

I have to admit I haven't seen it yet :( It came out here just as I was moving interstate and that combined with my boy not wanting to see it with me (he doesn't like musicals) I never got there to see it. I was most upset, I assure you! So now I'm waiting for it to come out here on DVD so I can borrow it out of the video store and watch it (which I'm assuming won't be for a while *stupid Australian release dates*). But I really love her red and white dress.... :D

2. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Gorgeous work, Fenig! You did an excellent job. :)

3. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks ladies! Chael, I love the red and white dress too. It's very tempting to work on that next, pairing it of course with Mr Todd's white suit from the same scene. [face_mischief]

4. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I was looking at photos from Costumer's Guide the other day, and wow it's so much more complex than I thought!! Well the design is simple enough (having already made a Victorian bustle dress myself, I think I could modify my patterns) but it's the fabric! Here I was thinking it was a pretty white and red striped cotton! Boy was I wrong! But the details make it gorgeous! I'm tempted to make a quick version of it though, with white and red striped cotton and red cotton velveteen for the front panel. I think most people wouldn't notice the difference, and I could wear it to historical events. But I'm afraid the perfectionist in me wouldn't allow that :p

5. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    So make it an "Inspired By" dress. That way you can put whatever personal touches and details on it that you like.

6. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I might actually do that! I really have fallen in love with the costume (now to watch the movie :p). If I can find a suitable red and white striped cotton, I think I will :p I'd certainly love another bustle dress (and I've been wanting to make a cage bustle).

I was writing a livejournal entry about the costume, and it completely turned into a pretty detailed costume breakdown :D So if anyone's interested, you can see my own personal thoughts on how the costume was put together here. I've allowed for anonymous postings, so if you don't have an lj, you can still post a comment (though please let me know who you are :D) and let me know what you think!

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll bug JainaMSolo and kay_dee to give their details. I looked at the dress but didn't do any detailing of it (since I was working on the opening Mrs. Lovett's dress). :

8. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Thanks, that would be fantastic!

I did my observations based on the photos in Costumer's Guide photobucket, mostly the fantastic photos of the one on exhibit (though unfortunately it didn't have the foundation garments underneath - no bustle!!).

9. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    My boyfriend's friends did an AWESOME couple costume of Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett. I had the honor of photographing them at NYCC

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2435798646_31412b9c52_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2434981605_7d26a1490e_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2435798056_e4201b0ebf_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/2434980929_e93be5a861_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2223/2434981819_7d1989ac58_b.jpg]

10. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    :eek: Wow; those are great costumes. I love the buttons on the cuff, the little fingerless gloves and the razor holster...and Mrs. Lovett's not bad, either! :) Excellent job to both of them!

Great costume analysis, Last_Chael! If I'm ever up to that costume, your notes will really come in handy! :D

11. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    Wow! Great costumes! But more importantly... WOW, GREAT CLEAVAGE!!!

(Oh, C'mon, someone was bound to say it!)

12. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    No worries! I'm just glad to help out! One of my favourite parts of the whole costuming process is the research! I LOVE the challenge of looking at a costume and pulling it apart :D

The hardest part is finding the fabric :(

13. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    I know there were some ladies that wanted to see the red undershirt. Well, I found a picture taken of Helena Bonham Carter in just the under gear. I know that the stockings, the bloomers and the chemise are the same as her poor costume, but she's wearing a different corset. Considering all the other layers she's wearing, it's likely this one could just be an under corset. It shows the undershirt sticking out from beneath the corset too. Though I don't remember seeing the garter in any other pictures of her legs. Her shoes are different too. Nice heeled feminine ones as opposed to the clunky ones she wore in the movie.

Sorry it's blurry. That's how I found it on Helena-World.com

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/2531092519_acc01de95a_o.jpg]

14. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    They really played the parts well. Mrs Lovett even had Pirelli's purse! I found that nifty.
    The razor holster was done by Ashton Synn of NyghtCraft Leatherwerks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.