main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Animated Shorts Official *Tales of the Jedi* Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I understand that, I think they used it after they made their own style in house with GL and used it since. Visions opens the door for more. Forces of Desteny was nice, same with Galaxy of adventures. This could do something different too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i wouldn't mind some less in-house studio stuff as well

Like with games

Why try to make a Nintendo like Star Wars video game and instead just go to Nintendo

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  3. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Resistance and Forces of Destiny weren't as bad as people say in my opinion, but I do hope they aim this show at a broader audience. The Clone Wars and Rebels seems like the ideal "sweetspot" to aim for in terms of maturity.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I kind of meant exile in a broad sense. As in what she was doing between ROTS and ROTJ. While she was more active than Yoda and Kenobi in this period, she was still an outlaw by virtue of being a Jedi.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I woundt be surprised if we get some small hints about what she was doing, in Bad Batch and maybe Andor. They could tell her Rebellion arc. Ahsoka tv show tell her absense from OT. If she appears in here i think as youngling or her during OT as she must hide. Ahsoka Tano seems be the link between Clone Wars to the rebellion era and post ROTJ era, maybe even close to the Resistance era with ST.

Mostly Handless and Darth Baga like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Some time ago, I remember Matt Lanter teasing that he will voice Anakin again in animation. I'm assuming he was talking about this project.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    Oh yes, making the Old Republic with design ala John Carter, in a more fantasy look is my dream

Although I love the TCW animation style, I would like it to be more diverse, let one series have TCW animation, another Resistance, another Arcane, and another also Dota or Voltron/Korra. Ah, I'd like to see some anime like 2d star wars animation, maybe in the High Republic or Exar Kun period

@DannyD

I liked supporting characters, dogfights were probably the best on screen Star wars. Overall, I really like the animation of ships and space, with half and half people. I liked the villains too, Commander Pyre was the kind of villain I had hoped for from Phasma. The series itself also gives a little more information about the period, not too much because they were still limited by movies, but a few things is what the galaxy ruled by First Order looks like, although the same can be found in paper sources, but I'm not sure. There are also some legends references, even to KOTOR like a short Dantooine show that looks exactly like in-game, a couple of droids that look like they were from that period. There is even javyar cantina music from KOTOR at one point

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2022
    Glitterstimm and DannyD like this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Thanks! I shall endeavour to watch for these things :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2022
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When TFA came out, I thought Poe was a great character. I was hoping he'd be like the Wedge of the ST, but elevated to a starring role. Then I watched Resistance and that made me actively dislike Poe. There's no way somebody as smart and talented as movie Poe would put the fate of the resistance in the hands of bumbling idiots. It was just totally unbelievable.

9. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I never noticed that. That's really cool that they would reuse stuff fron KOTOR. :D

10. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Well, to be honest, the Colossus was hardly the main battle arena in the war against the First Order and it is not that they had an unlimited choice of volunteers. The Resistance was a very small group of fighters as it struggled for resources and at that time Leia was already considered an extremist. Plus Kaz was a great pilot and at the end completed all the tasks we has assigned to and some more.

I also really don't understand the critic against the Resistance from people who enjoy Avatar (don't forget that Filoni has worked on it), Korra or the Dragon Prince. Kaz's awkward and even borderline idiotic behavior is quite typical for the protagonists or their sidekicks in this genre.

It was a nice experimental project and I loved it. I especially appreciated its small scope. Not everything must happen on a galactic scale.

On the other hand, I sympathize with people expecting the next Clone Wars or Rebels, but I think as fans we should be more tolerant to creative diversity and be open to other arts style and storytelling techniques. We should also realize that little children are also entitled to content more appropriate to their age. Perhaps Lucasfilm's mistake was that they didn't have a parallel animation series which would have keep the fans of traditional Star Wars animation satisfied (and make me double happy as I would have enjoyed both).

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The real problem with Resistance was that it just left open plot holes by the end. Wasn't something supposed to follow their story, but it never came about?

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I tried getting into Resistance but it just didn’t feel like a serious addition to the lore, felt more like SW: Visions than TCW or Rebels.

Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.
  13. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    To be honest, I also expected Resistance to end with the battle of Exegol (which actually happened in the Rise of Skywalker novelization, albeit in a flash), but, if I remember correctly, Pablo said that they decided early on to concentrate on a more personal story, i.e. Tam's rescue. I am not entirely convinced in that, but for me the story did have a conclusion on personal level as far as Colossus's crew goes. Of course, some plots such a Kaz's father, the force children and others never got resolved, but it is not such a huge deal for me. At the end, it was mainly about the people of Colossus and they largely strengthened their sense of community at the end.

Actually, the only big Star Wars animation project that tied everything at the end was Rebels (if you ignore the gigantic cliffhanger with Ezra and Thrawn, but it is more of a set-up for future adventures). Clone Wars completed very well Ashoka's journey at that stage of her life (and Anakin and Obi-Wan's fates were handled in other media), but, due to its enormous ensemble cast, left a lot of untied threads.
    I agree that it is not a serious addition to the lore, but not everything must be. It was a funny (with some dark moments) self-contained adventure on the periphery of the war against the First Order.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not trying to cause a stir or anything here, but I did find it somewhat interesting that the new Obi-Wan show has a TV rating of 9+; which is nearly on par with the animated shows.

15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think there might have been some trepidation caused by the tonal issues that both the show and the era itself have going on through them; I'd argue part of the issue is that TFA was a very heavy opening for the ST that was maybe a bit too sour for Resistance's own preferred mood, but then it gets followed up by TLJ's own chaotic and at times contradictory take on tone and mood (and where and when it should or shouldn't apply) that might have added to the clashing issues. Like, when the show peeked over at TFA's events, it got its dark moments delivered excellently in contrast to its usual tone, but could it really afford to try accepting that tone on a more permanent basis after the events of TFA? And how would the show deal with TLJ's tone, where some stuff is supposed to be an increase in darkness (the Galaxy not fighting back) but other stuff like the First Order and Kylo are supposed to be less serious (the First Order) or less dark (Kylo) now, when the actual conflict hasn't changed that much?

In general, I just think that the ST era has LFL aware of their own confusion about how to do it; there's a clarity to the tone and priorities of the PT, OT, and immediate time before and after those... but not with the ST.

Considering hw dark those animated shows could still get, this could be anything from a radically different tone to them realizing they just had one or two iffy scenes they could cut and still remain pretty mature.

Mostly Handless and Lomer2012 like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think one day soon we will get a ST show. Now that the trilogy is done. Resistance was done while there was uncertain with TROS. Filoni and others will do it. Resistance was not really a show like TCW and Rebels.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Simple you just say screw it and just go with whatever the tone the creator wants to do...Consistency be dammed cuz conistenency is overrated

Trust me in 30 years no one is gonna notice those tonal inconsistencies

Nor will they care.

Course if i had be a betting man i say they take mostly from TLJ given that was 100% a Lucasfilm product and the most "In house" so if anything i still say Lucasfilm sees TLJ as THERE own while JJ was the outsider.

Or if anything they just go a third route anyway....the little EU we have the Sequels anyway doesn't match any of the films so why not just do a third take like TCW does with the Prequels and just say that's the tone we go for now. Take the best elements (That Lucasfilm thins are th best) from all 3 films and just mesh them together ...Tonal consistency with the actual films be danged

does that kinda make the film just plot points...yeah kinda but worked for the prequels with TCW which doesn’t jive with the prequels at all

worked for Thor when Thor Ragnarok soft rebooted Thor but kept plot points from the last movies

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2022
  18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    If Lucasfilm goes enough back in the timeline with this show we could get some young Tarre Viszla content.[face_praying]

19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Given that the Obi Wan series is the first live action series where a main character from the movies (and a former animation project) is the protagonist it's not surprising that they would make it a little more age appropriate for young kids who have seen the movies and TCW to still be able to watch it.

Leaving the more adult content to brand new characters is a good plan.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  20. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I guess old Ben isn't going to be cutting anyone in half in his series.

Then again, TPM was PG, and ESB had a beheading; but that was before there was a PG-13 rating.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Not entirely sure what the rating of Kenobi has to do with Tales of the Jedi.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    If I had to take a guess the ratings wont matter.

23. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020

From what I heard Resistance has a few problems, connect with how sequels and especially IX episode (shortly, no plan) was made:

"According to co-executive producer Brandon Auman, the show suffered from this regularly due to the Sequel Trilogy's own Troubled Production brought upon by the films' method of Writing by the Seat of Your Pants. One example he cites is an episode he proposed featuring Ewoks and Endor as he was fond of Return of the Jedi, but Dave Filoni was hesitant as they didn't know what Episode IX was going to be about.
    Lucasfilm Story Group Pablo Hidalgo expands on this, as the writing for Season 2 and The Rise of Skywalker both began in September 2017, and because Bad Robot refused to communicate with Lucasfilm about the film's writing, Resistance couldn't tie into The Rise of Skywalker and ended up moving away from the movies. Not only that, but in 2017, the decision to revive Star Wars: The Clone Wars for Disney+ had also been made, leading to Resistance being dumped by Disney to focus on transitioning to streaming and by Lucasfilm to shift their animation team to a more popular entry."

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I do remember reading about the lack of communication between the entities.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It should have made you actively dislike Resistance.