main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terry Goodkind

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    But Ayn Rand did that fifty years ago. Sorta defeats the purpose.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You really didn't like the 7th book, did you? :p

And I agree about the "trilogy." Annoying, undoes WFR, and a synonym for annoying.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Pillars of Creation was decent enough, compared to most of the latter half of the series... but it barely fits in with the other books at all. Very little Richard, very little Kahlan, likewise Cara, Zedd, Adie, Nathan... no Verna or Ann... pretty much all Jennsen and Oba. Jennsen's not a bad character, but come on, make the story at least fit in with the regular characters. And get rid of Oba!

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oba was annoying. Jenn took some getting used to. Tom was cute, but he had a pretty minor role.

I was actually kinda sad for what happened to them. I know they chose it, but still :( She was a cool sister and Richard never got to meet her kid (which I think she was thinking about at the end of the last book).

I wonder what's going to happen with Richard and Kahlan's kids. I remember that there was a big deal that Confessors could only be women (and male children of confessors were killed) but that Richard needs a male heir.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think they pretty much had to go to the other word, because of the issues with magic and all... but yeah, it was sad.

The issue of them having a son that was a monster, as Shota predicted, was -kinda- dealt with during Kahlan's captivity with Jagang, though not to my satisfaction. They do say repeatedly, however, that Richard and Kahlan will refuse to kill any of their own children, so I'd say there's going to be a male Confessor presumably with the gift (and maybe both sides?) running around in D'Hara. Hopefully he's a nice guy [face_whistling]

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't remember - how was it dealt with?

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Something with Jagang creating the monster... I really didn't understand it well myself. That's why I said "kinda" dealt with, because I came off with the clear impression that Goodkind was bringing it up to say that such was out of the way, but didn't really understand how or why.

8. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I've read and enjoyed the SoT series.

My favorite was Faith of the Fallen, where Richard is brought to live under the Imperial order.

Confessor, the conclusion of the series, was I felt a bit rushed.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like the first couple best, but FotF was actually an interesting read.

10. Topper_Harley

Topper_Harley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2008
    Awesome series but I've got 3 books to go.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I hope you enjoy them more than I did :(

12. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    I think Faith of the Fallen was my favorite out of the series, but this is also the point where he gets to be really preachy. It continues to get worse from there. Pillars of Creation actually took me a long time to get started. I had finally got into it by the time Naked Empire was out (I bought all the SOT books in HC the week they were published). It really was a good book, almost a stand alone. Just the fact that none of the main characters appeared until the end threw me.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually didn't like that; I kept waiting the whole book for Richard etc. to appear.

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I have only read book 1 and really liked it. I have book 5 but no more other than Debt of Bones. Strangly enough the Debt of Bones version I got was recalled while I was a Manager at BAM. It was recalled because it said on the copyright page that the author was none other than Robert Jordan! So I picked up a bunch of the copies that we had before they were sent back just in case they would worth money one day. Now I can't find them at my house.

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I've read Wizards First Rule a couple of years ago and stopped there as a friend told me that later books are nothing special. I got into TG's universe again after I watched the show Legen dof the Seeker; I re-read WFR, read Stone of Tears and got onto Blood of the Fold now. Not bad thus far. About his general writing, I think Terry Goodkind has some pretty cool ideas and characters he created are very interesting, but there are many instances when my eyebrows get automatically raised and I have an urge to talk to him and say "Really, you just had to write that... Really?". I became a a rather big fan of Kahlan and don't really get why is it necessary to put her character in a near-rape scene all the time...

16. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Goodkind's new book, The LAw of Nines came out on tuesday. I'm only a few chapters in, but i like it.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I gave up on Goodkind; didn't even know he had a new project. Is it set in the same world or is it completely new?

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Completely new. And I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't decide. It's been enough time (a year?) since I've been annoyed by having to read it, so I might. But it's not something I'm that interested in, so it probably won't ever get done.

20. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I like Goodkind, but I don't have an opinion on his new series just yet. I'm still getting into it. I like the 25 pages that I've read.

It isn't a Sword of Truth novel, but it is a continuation of Sword of Truth. It's hard to explain without giving away the ending of Confessor. If you have read Confessor just read the description of the Law of The Nines and you'll figure it out.

I share some of goodkind's philosophical leaning, and I find a lot of what he says empowering. I don't want to talk badly about the people in my life, but a lot of them suffer from do nothing syndrome. I think a good dose of Terry Goodkind might help them.

Unfortunately Terry can get repetitive and seems to have a thing for torture, rape, and woman who beat the poop out of people. I kind of wonder what goes on in his bedroom.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Just read the description. :oops:

22. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
  23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh boy. On second thought, I think I'm going to pass.

24. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I finished it last night. I really liked it. At first I had a few doubts because it seemed like it was going to just be richard and kahlyn in modern times. To a small degree it is, but there is enough new material and mystery surrounding these characters to keep it interesting.

The book is firmly rooted in the sword of truth universe. Terry strikes a great balance between connecting this book to his previous series while not drawing on it so heavily that he alienates new readers. For those of us who read sword of truth, I believe that Terry has given us enough information between the sword of truth series and this new book, to figure out what becomes of Kahlyn and richard.

I recommend reading this book. If richard's preachyness turned you off in the later sword of truth books, you'll be happy to know that the current rahl is much less preachy.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's good (though I'm still not planning on reading it).

Any chance of (highlight-to-read) spoilers about Richard etc.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.