main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2023 Box Office Blood Barbie

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2022.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    That’s not great. I mean, it’s ok, but it’s not Top Gun Maverick good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think those 100+ Flash estimates were further out relative to release date. This, by contrast, is a couple of weeks.

I’m genuinely curious if anything will beat the portion of 2 Avatar 2 Water that was this year at this rate.

BigAl6ft6 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Though I can't explain it, I am strongly compelled to post this response.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If those two dozen people could read they’d be very upset about that joke.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Global entertainment analysts report on theatrical recovery.

Highlights:
    -Post-pandemic recovery has been slower than expected. But global revenue is expected to recover to pre-pandemic levels by 2025 (however, this is due to a combination of price increases and the expanding international markets in places like China).
    -US revenue and global admissions won't recover to pre-pandemic levels until 2027 (but will still be behind the record levels of 2019).

In contrast, streaming TV:
    -Subscription growth will slow over the next 5 years, while the overall global market for it will expand by about 25%.
    -Subscriptions will be about 62% of the market, with ad-supported pushing the expansion.
    -14 million home in the US have will have cut the cord between last year and 2027 (with cable then accounting for only 38% of households).

EDIT- correcting/completing last sentence

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You’re backwards on that last one and consequently misinterpreting the direction of streaming adoption; those analysts are predicting only 38% of homes will have cable:

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As with Uber and transportation, one of the funniest things about all this "market disruption" to me is that traditional industries are being disrupted by things that are not actually profitable either. What was the point of destroying an industry using a business model that is itself not viable?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oops, no, that is what I meant to convey (cable then being in only 38% of households), but looks like I left a few words out. I'll fix it.

Ramza likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Also, I got curious, and apparently the all-time high pay TV penetration rate was just shy of 90% of households 20 years ago. That’s quite the decay.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    62% over 27 years is definitely steep. At the same time, that's also a long period of time. Go back 10 years more and they were still selling black & white TVs. Go back 20 more and they're just introducing color TVs as an option.

So, the peak of cable to this predicted streaming-dominated, cable-minimal era spans around the same amount of time as the introduction of color to the discontinuation of black & white.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    christophero30 and Rylo Ken like this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

I am so excited for this to poison the Flashpoint well forever. I want to believe.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    If Keaton can't save DC who can? That said I really dislike that Flash actor. Will probably rent it on DVD at my library eventually, but I won't give that person my money.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Keaton Batman was, marketing wise, an Easter Egg for Gen X and older. That doesn't sell 250 million dollar movies. Apparently has bad word of mouth, but that might just be a knock on effect from opening so low. "Did you hear Flash opened badly?" "What did you say? Flash is bad?" "Flash bad!"

nilzo antonio and christophero30 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He was more than an Easter egg- they definitely hoped to give the film a Bat-boost, since the Flash isn't as big of a character. Not to mention he was effectively to become the DC multiverse Nick Fury for the next 2-3 projects, so this would be his repurposing into that role.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Right and the problem is that's ****ing stupid. You don't make a character's debut film your colossal budget multiverse exploration cross-brand MUH METAVERSE SYNERGY bull**** exercise, you make it a mid-budget building blocks film the way these movies used to do when everyone had a slightly firmer grip on reality: Flash gets his powers, Flash fights some crime, Flash has to defeat a supervillain*. But no, WBD wanted to rush to get Disney money, and it completely exploded in their face yet again.

*You know how you can tell this boring, tried and true formula works? Morbius doubled its budget. Morbius.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    A little smaller scale for a smaller scale hero would've been wise.

But, in their defense, does the audience really want another origin story?

I sure don't.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They clearly don’t care about that considering they put out Black Adam and have Blue Beetle in the pipeline, so that wasn’t the issue. To be blunt, most people don’t know the Flash, they need to see his origins. You want to save time and get to the fun stuff? No problem, you do his regular “forensic scientist gets doused in chemicals” origin and not the convoluted Geoff Johns time travel bull**** retcon about his mom being murdered and his dad being framed and what the hell ever because you don’t need any of it for a starter movie. But the basic problem is the same, because that assumes you make a movie called The Flash to make a movie about the Flash, not because you actually want to make Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness in the hopes of making Spider-Man: No Way Home money but all you did previously with the character was a Justice League movie nobody watched.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Flashpoint Storyline is about how the DC universe changes. People have to understand and care about the DC universe for it to be a successful movie. Also, the actual storyline about a giant war between the Amazons and Atlantis could have, you know, been the story for this movie and it would have been a lot better than whatever they did here with General Zod.

BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean, in this case, they introduced him here so that they could reboot and do that moving forward, no?
    They're stuck having to deal with the aftermath of the BVS/JL/SC rush job and needed to right the boat.

Well, to be fair, Multiverse of Madness was barely even a Doctor Strange movie, so maybe it's a trap these multiverse stories need to avoid falling into.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I would argue the idea that you need a movie to actually do a reboot is not only incredibly misguided - and should be self-evidently false even to WBD given that Batman is one of their own franchises - but that Terminator has repeatedly shown it’s a terrible idea. If the plan was always to ditch this Snyder nonsense, just ditch it and go back to basics in the first place. They weren’t stuck doing anything. And that’s why I think there’s a lot of evidence that they were more concerned with doing a multiverse movie than anything else.

25. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Actually the story is more complex. After this movie Keaton was supposed to become the main Batman. Hence why he was a big part in the now defunct Batgirl movie; also all the reports after the release of this movie indicate that It was Keaton, not Clooney to be there at the end ( along side Supergirl and Cavill's Superman). But the "plans" kept changing and they released that monstrosity.
    The movie could only work if BatFleck and Snyder's Superman were the ones dying in the hands of multiverse Zod, cause only then there would be some emotional weight to the plot. But, then again, in reality it should Darkseid, not Zod, the main villain to return for the last bruhahah. And yes, the movie also should bring closure to the Wonder Woman character.
    Adding Ezra's personal problems , the results, BO wise should be expected.
    Now i just don't see how they release Blue Beetle and Aquaman2 (a movie, NEVER FORGET, has its own Ezra in the figure of Amber Heard)..