main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 2.13 - Pabu - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 14, 2023.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 22, 2023.
  1. 10

1.8%
  2. 9

14.0%
  3. 8

21.1%
  4. 7

22.8%
  5. 6

21.1%
  6. 5

14.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

3.5%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I almost expect we are being told Empire is somehow causing it, I think it would perhaps be for the best if this was just a natural phenomenon this time.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Orbital bombardment was on my mind to. I would live for it to be some weird Scifi space crap like a small black hole in the planet's core. Oh well this planet could still burn under the Empire soon enough. The Mayor's if the Empire come we'll deal with it line can't be a throw away.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  3. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    That was ... well, Sominex would be too harsh, but only a little.

Sarge likes this.
  4. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I liked this episode a lot more than the Mando episode, I think it's good for the story to be away from the wider conflict in the galaxy, along with the end of being Cid's poorly-compensated retrieval squad. It's fun to venture to new locations and meet new people. It's not boring or filler, it's fun!

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I find Tsunamis and Tsunami videos terrifying but extremely interesting.

I loved this episode. I also like the idea of the Bad Batch living here. How about Tech being in love?

Anyone notice the slight homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark with the staging of the outdoor terrace being very similar to the outdoor table space at Sallah and his families house?

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The hints of a thing between them were laid on thick from the very beginning of the episode. It was almost a running gag throughout.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Er, not quite. For centuries, in most places where storm surges and tsunamis are a threat, nobody built hard structures like that at sea level. Dense, sedentary communities would mostly develop either on higher ground, or away from the immediate coast, with few exceptions. It's in modern times that such development started in earnest, and indeed, the Mayor mentions that in this episode - that lower Pabu is a recent construction.

But it is realistic today - the pressure and incentives are such that rebuilding in exactly the same spots often happens, with only minimal changes to increase resilience. My problem isn't that it's not realistic. It's that the episode presented it as the right thing to do. That said, if the next episode shows that the rebuild includes a smart adaptation to render the community less vulnerable to future tsunamis, I won't have any issues. Because the Mayor said it's only been three decades since the last tsunami. You don't (or shouldn't) just build back the same way with that kind of regular tsunami activity. It's almost a criminal level of neglect, and I doubt the writers were intending to promote that.

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Seeing the island, this was my first thought when the tsunami started.
    [​IMG]

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent animation as usual. I liked the environment -- the cross between the Italian and Greek coastline, and Mont-Saint-Michel.

[​IMG]

As for the story... sokay. I'm sure it's setting a lot of stuff up (maybe for the next episode, maybe for the next few episodes, maybe for the rest of the series), but there have been a lot of episodes that (seemingly) have been 'setting stuff up' and I wish the overall narrative moved at a faster pace.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess this episode, while it wasn't so much about what's going on in the greater galaxy (outside of the refugees being on a single planet), it was more than just filler considering it sets up extended circumstances for the squad since they've decided to stay for awhile. There wasn't much substance to the episode overall, but I didn't hate it. Like many episodes, I wouldn't rewatch it unless it's part of a much larger story.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "Pabu" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 6/10. Nothing particularly memorable about this episode, but like I said above, I didn't hate it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    There was also Pabu's version of the Horn of Helm Hammerhand. As soon as that horn sounded, I wanted to break into some LOTR battle speeches - if I knew any that was.

The Helm Horn sounds lightyears better though.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ooh, good catch! I missed that one.

Generational Fan and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Really liked this episode, gave it a 8/10. I will like it even more if there is a bit of a time jump.

my kind of scum likes this.
  16. DarthRuckus

DarthRuckus Jedi Master star 1

Nov 17, 2013
    And the homage to Temple of Doom with Phee (sic) literally figuring out the "Lao Che double-cross" where Indy didn't...

And I hope Tech and Phee get together. I miss romance in Star Wars. When's the last time anyone in Star Wars had a first kiss that wasn't with a genocidal madman?

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Right!!!. I completely forgot about the opening scene.

18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If there’s a time jump,
    We’re living in a time where Temple of Doom is more relevant than ever… between Ke Huy Quan being an Academy Award winning actor, and there’s an uptick in references in Marvel movies as well… it was cited as a primary inspiration on Multiverse of Madness, and I think the vibe of the movie sort of gels with a lot of what Marvel is doing with the Multiverse Saga.

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I find myself appreciating this episode more after the last episode of The Mandalorian. Pabu seems like a great place to live even with the tsunami. It almost seems like a happy ending for the heroes finding their place. They'll live on Pabu happily ever after and rebuild. Omega will have a better childhood. Tech will get married to Phee. Wrecker will always be full. Hunter will never worry.

Likewise, Din Djarin sort of got a happy ending. He went home to where he belonged. Got redeemed. And his new friend Bo is with him. Everyone is congratulating them. They're popular. They may be living in a cave next to a swimming Giganotosaurus but for a moment it's peaceful.

Compare that to

Crosshair is out there alone and by all appearances being tortured. The empire is likely going to be looking or Omega, the Bad Batch, or Both.

Dr. Pershing had a bridge dropped on him. His questionable research is going places. This will collide with Din.

Peace is fleeting.

Fredrik Vallestrand and IG_2000 like this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    All that fruit and veg at the feast yet no plausible explanation for where it was grown. The whole island is one big city....

cwustudent, Alarinne and Sarge like this.
  21. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Pretty bog standard TBB episode here. Not bad per se, but nothing to write home about. Unlike some others though it’s quite clear there’s some meaningful narrative work being done here. After all this time drifting around the galaxy clawing for scraps and looking over their shoulder, they’ve finally found their version of paradise, which will make it hit harder when they inevitably have it ripped away, at least temporarily, by whoever between Cid and the Empire get to them first.

Alarinne likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I give it a 7/10 rating good breather episode, be the big finale.

23. Flyer75

Flyer75 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    I was being very generous in giving this episode a 6. Fell asleep twice during the episode and had to rewatch.

24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Little downtime sandwiched between heavy episodes. It was needed episode, I believe. I got the impression that Cid will be the one to rat them out to the Empire. Did it also imply Tech had some feelings for Phee, if so it must have happened sometime after their last meeting since there was no hint of it whatsoever in that episode. Pabu might become the Bad Batch's permanent home once they settle down for good. Can't forget how far the animation has come since TCW debuted.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Let’s ask Ric Olie if there are other islands on the planet where they grow stuff. Or if they get produce from off-world.

my kind of scum likes this.