main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Baseball Draft Seven - Say Hey From Baseball Heaven

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Trust me, you're overthinking it quite a bit at this stage. It's just like a fantasy baseball draft in many ways. For now, I'd just suggest getting very familiar with baseball-reference.com. Think about what all-time historical (or current day) players you might want on your team, and maybe start making some lists and then checking their stats. There's going to be plenty of time to browse while we're drafting.

There will be some players that won't be available to you because a bunch of us have keeper picks, but you'll at least be guaranteed a fairly high selection in the first round and there are a TON of incredible players that aren't going to be anyone's keepers. And Inty will post a list of all the players that are already on our rosters before we get started.

@DarthIntegral I guess we'll take the 20 Intybucks as the 3rd place prize.

[​IMG]

Jedimarine and tom like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish/SOS Cultural expert star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    What Wang said.

But also, as we draft the players, I'll have a spreadsheet they I'll keep updated with who has been picked and by whom. There will be a running list in this thread of who got picked and who is picking next.

As Wang said, for now just think about who you want to draft, either specific players or an overarching strategy. Do you want to go after home run hitters and try to win games by bludgeoning the other team? Do you want to go after pitching and see how many games you can get to a 1-0 or 2-1 scoreline? Do you just want to draft a meme worthy team and say "I don't care about winning, I just wanna have fun!"? Do you just want to draft your favorite players and see how they do against historical greats?

There are so many ways to play this game. And almost none of them are wrong.

I'd also suggest reading the first few pages of the last draft. It'll give you a feel for the flow of the draft portion, what kind of players get drafted early, etc.

Jedimarine likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Note you can also do this and win. I went with a mostly roided up team (plus Old Hoss Radbourn who was roided up on fury) for the first three seasons and won two titles!

Anyway I'll be purchasing an additional Keeper slot and using the 4 keepers on (drumroll please):

SP: Old Hoss Radbourn (Franchise Keeper)
    SP: Jacob deGrom
    SS: Honus Wagner
    RF: Larry Walker

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024
    tom, LMTShawn, mnjedi and 1 other person like this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Only a bit; WWI was July 1914 to November 1918, so only 1.5 seasons of that range falls in WWI.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The best part of the WWI and WWII seasons is that there's a non zero chance that one of your players might join the army and leave your team. Don't know if they've kept that for the new OOTP

Juliet316 , LMTShawn, dp4m and 4 others like this.
  6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 6

Feb 13, 2001
    And, most consequentially...the early years of the war did not involve the United States, and thus, major league baseball, in any significant fashion.

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, let's go ahead and announce those keepers.

Looking for a bounce back season, of course we're keeping Sandy Koufax.

[​IMG]

No surprise we're keeping the home run king of the FBC, Cleveland's Own "Big" Ed Delahanty.

[​IMG]

Like we weren't going to keep him after he was in the discussion for both the Cy Young and the MVP? The incomparable Satchel Paige.

[​IMG]

Can't leave out The Franchise, George Kenneth Griffey Jr.

[​IMG]

tom, heels1785 , mnjedi and 2 others like this.
  8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    *Slowly watching the all-time WAR leaders being keepered...*

This is gonna be a rough expansion season.

LMTShawn likes this.
  9. LMTShawn

LMTShawn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 20, 2022
    When I won the draft lottery in my first season, the player I took with the #1 overall pick was hitter Babe Ruth (whose previous team owner left, thus making him available) who I eventually traded prior to the next season. This is a game where you can't really go wrong. Although my two years here, I've been way more successful at mid-late round picks and free agent signings/trades working out than higher round draft picks. It's a total crapshoot.

Jedimarine likes this.
  10. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

I did this and then couldn't stop...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

@Jedimarine Welcome to the ballpit pal

Wang Chi, tom, Juliet316 and 7 others like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish/SOS Cultural expert star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    heels I demand that you update your avatar

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    And I am considering as a keeper an undrafted player that I signed as a free agent a month into the season.

This is freaking me out for many reasons.

Amazing.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yep - so many success stories through the years from the guys you wouldn't expect. An undrafted free agent leading the Gales to the Playoffs two years ago. Steven Kwan playing an integral role for the Bandwagoners as they win a championship. The rise and fall of Doc White. How many of you knew who Toad Ramsey was before we started playing?

And ... LFG

FODEUSS Draft 7 - Lottery, Division Assignments, and Era Selection
    Time: Jul 3, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81887350134?pwd=LsYKSveIa5YdlNVpo3ITaafLuvPx13.1

Meeting ID: 818 8735 0134
    Passcode: suckitnarx

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    omg

my keepers will be gehrig (franchise), mantle, bonds, and then i'll happily pay my 75 intybucks to bring back our lord/saviour/hero playoff bryce.

after the fever dream that was the fbc and the disastrous tenure of judge fuchs (currently buried under a cement slab in idaho alongside fodeuss season one john wetteland) - we welcome back judge judy in her rightful role, her 18th season at the helm. and again, we look forward to playing in front of the best fans in the world at taichung intercontinental baseball stadium.

Wang Chi, tom, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  15. LMTShawn

LMTShawn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 20, 2022
    I will probably end up regretting this keeper strategy. But here we go...

Jose Ramirez, the GOAT, Enriquito, Hosey, Tim Anderson's nightmare, my favorite Cleveland player of all time.
    [​IMG]

Napoleon Lajoie, Nap, The Frenchman
    [​IMG]

Stan Musial, The Man
    [​IMG]

Smoky Joe Wood, the Ace of the Staff, the Smokiest of all Joes
    [​IMG]

Bob Gibson, Gibby, Hoot, the Co-anchor of the Staff
    [​IMG]

Roberto Clemente, The Great One, Bob

[​IMG]

Welcome back as the cornerstones of The Sithi of Osten Ard! That's right. 6 keepers. And I will save my 75 Intybucks and surrender my original picks in the first 10 rounds (keeping the 5th-round pick I acquired from Northern Shores).

Wang Chi, tom, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  16. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I don't get keepers from the last time I played years ago correct?

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Correct. Your players were put up for draft last season, and you're considered an expansion team again.

Draft Seven Rosters Spreadsheet has been created. @heels1785 can you edit it into the OP?
    Can everyone check for accuracy? I got the rewards from the FODEUSS Baseball Classic in there, any already named keepers in there, any franchise keepers (plus joke keepers) in there (let me know if you want to give up your joke keeper to get back your 32nd round pick and .05 Intybucks), and any traded picks known about. But, as always, IntyErrors are likely, so please call out any errors ASAP.

Juliet316 , LMTShawn and heels1785 like this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    here are the stone temple pilots' keeper selections for draft 7.

franchise keeper -the say hey kid, willie mays

[​IMG]

he's got more pitches than a used-car dealer, more control than an 18-hour bra, he is pedro martinez

[​IMG]

next we have charles alber bender. “If I had all the men I’ve ever handled, and they were in their prime, and there was one game I wanted to win above all others, Albert would be my man.” -connie mack

[​IMG]

and next, for the price of 75 inty dollars we are keeping toad ramsey, and his patented drop ball.

[​IMG]

and lastly, for the price of a 1st and 2nd round pick, he's the league mvp, he's heavy johnson

[​IMG]

and that's a pretty good start of a squad.

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I am gonna be stuck with John Rocker and Javier Baez at this rate.

20. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    @DarthIntegral Wait, whose got the last expansion team because I'm pretty sure I asked for an expansion team on the first page of the draft and you noted it on Post 13? And if it's still me, I'll keep my team name from last draft (Brand New Ballplayers).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    @SithOverlord101 - I got you on there. I screwed up the already named team, so DLotE is on twice in the list. But you're on the spreadsheet

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    So where can I find the eligible parks to choose from? Or do I just toss something out and get a thumbs up or down?

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Chris Hoiles is available.

Amazing.

24. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    He's a HOFer...

Kinda...

25. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    While I'm at it, Brand New Ballplayers will retain 2019 Davey Martinez as manager and play at Nats Park in Washington, DC.

And I guess I'll throw up my three keepers (Inty, please make sure I'm doing this right):

1. Oscar Charleston
    2. Rickey Henderson
    3. Juan Soto

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024