main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    "Ferguson has lost it!"--my dad, as he, me and my brother in law watch the utter crap that is Man United's performance on this match. LMAO! Someone give a medal to Everton, they deserve it.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 3 Portsmouth.

EDIT: Tottenham Hotspur 4 - 3 Portsmouth.

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Well what do you know, United are going to win afterall...

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    OMG!!1! wTF!?!11 United beat Everton, fire Ferguson now!! They are a whole 2 points behind Arsenal, they suck ass!

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Well Saha certainly is having a dream start.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I feel extremely hard done by. Everton did not deserve that. :(

8. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I'd still say Everton deserved a medal. A very good effort.

The Red Devils, on the other hand, barely deserved to win. They looked like 11 Jar Jars on the field relying on slapstick instead of skill. And Ferguson really should have put Ronaldo in sooner, that Fletcher guy is just dssapointing so far.

All in all, Man United still needs a good defender and a focused manager. I'm not saying Ferguson should be fired (yet) but I can't help but feel relieved that so far, they have only signed a one year contract with Fergie, rather than the six year or whatever it was that Fergie originally wanted [face_plain]

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Good hard fought match.

10. GIANT-FUZZBALL

GIANT-FUZZBALL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003

* top of the league ... still * :D

11. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    I'd still say Everton deserved a medal. A very good effort.

The Red Devils, on the other hand, barely deserved to win. They looked like 11 Jar Jars on the field relying on slapstick instead of skill. And Ferguson really should have put Ronaldo in sooner, that Fletcher guy is just dssapointing so far.

All in all, Man United still needs a good defender and a focused manager. I'm not saying Ferguson should be fired (yet) but I can't help but feel relieved that so far, they have only signed a one year contract with Fergie, rather than the six year or whatever it was that Fergie originally wanted

I think you need to get the facts straight. Ferguson wanted a rolling contract, he didn't want a six year one. The reason why he and David Gill agreed on this contract was because Ferguson doesn't know when he wants to retire and doesn't want the situation where he has a set date of retirement, as before.

As for his abilitys as a manager, we are champions for christ's sake, I don't get your moaning.

As for todays game, you've got to give the Toffee's some credit. I can't remember any team coming back against United like that, since the premiership started. I'm just thankful we got the 3 points.

* top of the league ... still *

Counts for nothing, lets see who's there in may. You know what happened last year.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Lurking_Around: United will never sack Ferguson. Calling for him to be sacked simply informs the rest of us of your lack of knowledge about football.

13. FORCE_SKIN

Oct 17, 2003
    Exactly!

14. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Wow, I merely express my views and suddenly I'm being executed for committing blasphemy against Saint Fergie. [face_plain]

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Calling for him to be fired is naive. He's won countless more trophies than any other manager in England, and is up there with the greats.

16. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Calling for him to be fired is naive

I said he shouldn't be fired yet. Let's wait for the end of the contract and see the results. I just don't think of him as some sort of infallible, indisposable saint for the Devils. He should be subjected to criticism if he's not making right decisions and not focusing on his job.

The way fans have sent death threats to families of the Irish duo Fergie is arguing with is disgraceful. Much better to demand Sir Alex concentrate on his job rather than be such a greedy old goat. Thank God Saha seems to be a good buy...so far.

Also, it seems to me that the Man United players just aren't "hungry" anymore. When I look at the sheer determination of the Arsenal lads (though the red cards still provide lots of laughs, as do the reactions of Arsene "I didn't see the tackle!" Wenger [face_laugh]), and the Everton team that clawed up from 3-0 at halftime, I can't help but admire them. The Man United fat cats seem content to play at neutral gear [face_plain] Well, let's see how that works in Europe.

17. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Manchester United lost the offensive flair when Beckham was kicked out. Huge mistake, selling Becks. Saha has been good so far, but I don't think it'll last long. Reyes has been a waste of 10m atleast for Arsenal, so far. I hope he turns things around.

I can't wait for CL to start again.

AC Milan 2 - 1 Perugia

Empoli 1 - 0 Siena

Modena 2 - 1 Ancona

Parma 0 - 3 Lazio

Reggina 0 - 0 Brescia

Sampdoria 1 - 2 Inter Milan

Nearly at an end.

Roma - Juventus later tonight..

18. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Manchester United lost the offensive flair when Beckham was kicked out. Huge mistake, selling Becks

Amen!

Reyes has been a waste of 10m atleast for Arsenal, so far

[face_laugh]

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Reyes is a big piece of class IMO. Young players always take some time to settle in the Premiership. Football is played at a much faster pace here than in Primera Liga, Reyes will have to adapt himself before his ability can show itself. I think he'll come good. Very good.

Of course, some players' skills don't adapt to the Premiership, sometimes it just doesn't work, but it's far too early in Reyes' Premiership career to know that yet.

I don't think it was a mistake for Manchester United to sell David Beckham, because it became obvious that him and Alex Ferguson were not even on speaking terms anymore. The side has suffered, that's for sure (Darren Fletcher and Cristiano Ronaldo are not good enough and not yet mature enough as a footballer respectively), but I think things would've been worse for everyone had Beckham stayed. The national side would've suffered if their captain was at odds with his club manager and perhaps not even playing regular football.

Manchester United no longer have reliability on the right hand side, and therefore no longer have that perfect balance that Beckham and Giggs used to provide. Maybe Cristiano Ronaldo will come good in the future, for he undoubtedly has great ability, but at the moment I don't think he has a clue just what to do with it! (Although I must admit his cross for RvN yesterday against Everton was brilliant.)

So selling Beckham a mistake? No. Everyone had to move on. Things were getting nasty. Selling Beckham unfortunate? Yes.

I think David Beckham got the best deal out of everybody.

Louis Saha is an interesting one. He has some considerable talent, that's for sure, but is yet to show that talent can be made consistant. Next season will be his test, because at the moment he is feeding off the enthusiasm of being at a club the size of Manchester United. I think he'll continue to score on a semi-regular basis for the remainder of this season, but next... who knows? Next season Saha will be settled... settled into a hugely comfortable situation. Next season it will all depend on how hungry he is now that he can go no higher in terms of English Club Football. His behaviour towards Fulham this season in orchestrating his move could be desvribed as both strong willed (standing up for his career and progression as a footballer - geniunely wants the challenge) or two-faced (simply after the kudos of Man Utd and the obvious finincial boost, then content to slack off). His performances next season will determine which it was.

Here endeth the speech. :)

20. FORCE_SKIN

Oct 17, 2003
    Manchester United lost the offensive flair when Beckham was kicked out. Huge mistake, selling Becks.

As a united fan I was sad to see becks go, but he can be replaced. Ronaldo is not the finished article yet, but he's young and improved even in the short time he has been at old trafford. Beckham's strength was his ability to cross the ball and looking at Ronaldo's set up for the winning goal yesterday, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Saha has been good so far, but I don't think it'll last long.

Why? He has had a fantastic start and you can see the ability is definitely there. He is playing with better players now, than at Fulham.

Reyes has been a waste of 10m at least for Arsenal, so far. I hope he turns things around.

Give the guy a break. He has only been there 5 minutes and he's looked pretty sharp to me.

Chelsea 1
    Charlton Athletic 0

Manchester City 0 FullTime
    Birmingham City 0

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Apart from that unfortunate own goal, Reyes has showed a lot of promise.

22. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I'm yet to see this wonderful amazing talent of Cristiano Ronaldo. All I've seen him do is step-overs and falling down after that. He's had his share of decent crosses though, but people are appreciating him mainly for the tricks he pulls.

Give the guy a break.
    That's why I said 'so far'.

23. FORCE_SKIN

Oct 17, 2003
    That's why I said 'so far'.

You said he was a waste of £10m!!!

And as for Ronaldo, for an 18 year old who has never played in England before, He's done great. His cross won us the game yesterday. Great goal by Reyes in midweek BTW.

24. NHR-57

NHR-57 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 24, 2003
    Hope noone minds me turning this into a general football score thread.

Three games in the Premiership today:

19:45 Arsenal - Southampton
    19:45 Leeds - Wolverhampton
    20:00 Leicester - Bolton

Reyes will make his first Premier League start.
    Leicester - Bolton live on TV here in Sweden and probably elsewhere.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    ^^^ That's a good idea. About time there was a thread devoted to football on the JCC. :) ^^^

Predictions:

Arsenal 4 - 1 Southampton.
    Leeds 1 - 1 Wolves
    leicester 0 - 2 Bolton