main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    It's a nice site, but horrendously out-of-date :)

Floyd Mayweather has said he wants to fight Hatton as recently as yesterday on Boxingtalk.com. I think it would be a big fight, but an easy win for Floyd. Hatton does not have the hand speed, athleticism, or boxing skill to beat Floyd.

Mayweather is extemely fast on his feet, no doubts there. but as far as I am concerned he lost to De La Hoya. The latter in my opinion was robbed.

Mayweather uses his speed to his advantage yes, but I have doubts about his punching power. I don't think he has what it takes to KO Hatton, and the best he could do, as he did against DLH, is hold on for the decision. One thing I could see happening during the fight is Hatton's style smothering Floyd's hand-speed.

If trapped in a corner and unable to get out of it, Mayweather who is excellent on defence, would probably cover up both body and head, but Hatton's punching power is definitely a factor that enters into it. If he traps Mayweather, Hatton will unleash a rainstorm of blows onto Mayweather, and if they're anywhere as hard as the shot that got Castillo, Floyd will go the same way.

Of course, that's if he gets forced into that position. He's very fast on his feet, and I admit, the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, at the moment. I just happen to think that Hatton is ready for him.

2. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

I agree to a certain extent. I think De La Hoya could have easily gotten the nod, but he forgot to keep jabbing. I think the judges saw Floyd take Oscar out of his game plan and gave Floyd the close rounds.

Let me be clear, I don't want to sound like a Hatton basher. He proved a lot to me by dominating Castillo, no matter what condition Castillo might or might not have been in. I think that if Hatton did catch Floyd in the corner, he would hurt him. If Hatton turned the fight into a brawl, I have no problem saying Hatton could win, and win big.

I just think Floyd would use his speed and athleticism, and make it a boring fight, like he has done throughout his career. If he does that, he wins easily, and boring.

I loved Hatton's parting shot at Floyd though, at the end of the fight interview. Saying that there was more action in his fight with Castillo than Floyds entire career! He might have made me a fan with that shot!

3. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I loved Hatton's parting shot at Floyd though, at the end of the fight interview. Saying that there was more action in his fight with Castillo than Floyds entire career! He might have made me a fan with that shot!

It's certainly got the Floyd Camp's attention, judging by the press statements of, "Floyd's taking this personally etc" from his uncle.

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I think Ricky Hatton should fight Paulie Malignaggi (Who called him out). This would be a perfect test to see if Hatton is really ready to fight a true "Boxer." Malignaggi is a good young fighter that has made a name for himself fighting on HBO. I think Hatton needs more experience fighting skilled boxers that have good handspeed.

I think that Hatton would also have to fight on Floyd's terms. Would he do that? Hatton would have to move up in weight, and be willing to take a lot less money than Floyd, since Floyd has the bigger name, been in bigger fights, and they would most likely be fighting for Floyd's title. Hatton has stated he would fight at a catch weight, he would have to agree to whatever weight Floyd wants to fight at.

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Floyd's last fight was 147lb, which is probably what Hatton would agree to move up into. So the welterweight belt.

6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Floyd fought De La Hoya for the 154 LB title at an agreed upon catch weight of 150 lbs. I think Hatton would move up to 147 to fight floyd, but Hatton stated he wanted to fight at a catch weight. If his position has changed, I don't know, I haven't read anything that says he has.

Hatton said: "I?m a junior welterweight, but the pain would be worth the gain, so maybe we?d fight at a catch weight."-Boxingtalk.com

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Floyd fought De La Hoya for the 154 LB title at an agreed upon catch weight of 150 lbs.

Whoops, my mistake. Got confused 'cos Floyd holds WBC light middle and welterweight belts.

Think Floyd would (for that matter, could) go back down to 140 and play Hatton at his own weight?

8. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I think Floyd is too arrogant to do that. I think Floyd and Hatton are at their best at 140. I think we would see the best of both men, with no excuses. I think Floyd thinks he is one of the big boys now. (relatively speaking)

But, I am just a fan of the sport...I could be wrong...maybe:p

If/when they do fight...I would go for Hatton, as I can't stand Floyd!

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Away from Hatton - Mayweather, we're going to have the first Heavyweight Unification bout since Lewis vs Holyfield.

WBO heavyweight champion Sultan Ibragimov versus WBA title holder Ruslan Chagaev

So, my thoughts on this is that Chagaev will win this one. He's been dubbed "the White Tyson" and beat Valuev to take the WBA title. Ibragimov is also unbeaten, which means there'll be some contest, but I still back Chagaev to take this one.

As for Klitchsko versus Brewster, this will be a good fight, especially with Klitchsko burning to avenge his 2004 defeat to Brewster in their first meeting. I'm thinking Klitchsko will get his wish and win this one. He's currently the No. 1 Heavyweight in the rankings, and has undergone quite a resurgence since the aforementioned defeat.

10. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I hardly pay attantion to the Heavyweight division these days. The division is in total chaos. There are too many beltholders, with obligations to the promoters and sanctioning bodies, the worst being the WBA. There are so many also rans getting title shots (Mercer, Briggs come to mind). The promoters have a stranglehold on the division. Don King seems to have a deal with the WBA, because it seems like only his fighters fought for that title for about ten years. I already mentioned that a dead guy moved up in the WBA rankings.

I am glad that two fighters are trying to unify, but I am not excited about either fighter. Klitchsko is the recognized number one in the division (by the only legitimate ranking system of the Ring magazine), so the Chagaev V. Ibragimov fight should be viewed as an eliminator bout for alphabet titles.

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    You're right about the sanctioning bodies. I try not to think about them though. Prefer to look at the fighters and wonder who would beat who. The only reason I'm enthusiastic about this fight is that the winner could fight Klitchsko and we could finally have a proper undisputed heavyweight title holder after that fight.

And then one of the fighters in the merry-go-round of the British heavyweight scene can have his shot and get slaughtered :p

12. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see these fighters slug it out and have one become the unified champion too.

I just get tired of seeing the also rans like Ray Mercer, Oliver McCall, and Shannon Briggs get title shots. It is only a matter of time before we see Hasim Rachman and Chris Byrd getting another shot, without having earned it.

And, as much as I hate to say it, My favorite fighter of all time (But should retire), Evander Holyfield will get a shot. The sad thing is, He could probably beat some of these belt holders!!!

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I agree with you regarding Holyfield.

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    In other news:

Golden Boy and Top Rank promotions have reached a deal, or settlement, so Barrera and Pacquiao will have a rematch on October 6th.

I would like to see Barrera, Morales, and Pacquiao get out of the sport before they end up with brain damage. Pacquiao is the freshest, but has been in some wars. He should make as much money for one, maybe two more years then get out. Barrera and Morales should bow out before they get hurt "Poimanent" like Mickey said in Rocky III!!

Another exciting fight coming up is Margarito and Williams. Williams has been calling out all 147 lb champions for the longest time. He is a dangerous fighter.

15. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    It's hard to convince Holyfield to retire when he beats the crap out of a still game Savarese. Holyfield is 4-0 in his last four fights. He has not been fighting bums either. He beat Fres Oquendo, who arguably beat Chris Byrd.

I think "Real Deal" should retire, because he has nothing to prove.

But, I think he could beat 3 of the 4 belt holder out there. I would only say Dr. K. would hurt him bad.

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Klitchsko yes. I think Chagaev could as well tbh. The rest, no way.

17. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    You might be right, I just think that Holyfield would be able to get inside on Chagaev. Klitchsko has that long stiff jab, and knows how to use his hieght, now that he is trained by Steward.

I have only seen Chagaev fight 4 times, so I am not an expert on him. But from what I saw, I don't think he has the skill of Klitchsko.

But yes, he would probably be the favorite in a fight with Real Deal, and being a hungry, new champion, could retire Holyfield. I just never count Holyfield out, because of his chin and heart.

Also, did you catch the Holyfield fight? Holyfield surprized me with his hand speed and stamina in his fight with Savarese. I saw the fight, and he did not fight "old".

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Chagaev I judge from his performance against Valuev. He knows how to fight against bigger (albeit slower) fighters. Against either of the Klitchsko's though, he would have no chance. But, he is a cut above the other heavyweight title holders. If Holyfield wants to get a title, he wouldn't have a problem against, say, Maskaev, who holds the WBC belt.

I didn't catch the fight (British television is terrible for broadcasting boxing). I'll find clips from youtube no doubt. My curiosity is piqued now, from what you've said about his speed and stamina.

19. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    It has been reported by Boxingtalk.com that De La Hoya is very interested in making a fight with Ricky Hatton. It looks like the fight is being discussed by both parties.

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I had heard that DLH had phoned him after the Castillo fight. Would be an interesting fight to watch. Not sure how Hatton would cope with the weight difference, though.

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
  22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Dr. K's jab is the best in the division right now. I say he beats every other belt holder easy, if he sticks to Stewards game plan of standing tall, jabbing, then unleashing the right when the opponents face is bruised and swollen.

Klitchko's left hook is also a nice change of pace punch. Like Lennox Lewis said.."It gives your opponent something else to think about."

23. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Hopkins/Taylor is near.

I pick Hopkins. Discuss.

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Don't you mean Hopkins V. Wright?

I pick Wright in a boring fight. I hope I am wrong, but this does not look like an action packed fight. Winky is a defensive fighter that jabs for twelve rounds. Hopkins is a notoriously slow starter that counter punches most of the time.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002