main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Canadian Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The knives are definitely out for Trudeau. But who would want the job now? Freeland, I suppose, but anyone in parliament is tainted by association. Despite the positive press Sean Fraser was getting a while ago, the minister of housing is not a great gig to move up from in this political climate. Mark Carney is waiting in the wings, but he's waited this long, he can probably afford to wait longer and go down in the next election's slaughter.

I'm going to hate the coming four to ten years of Conservative rule.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Liberals were reduced to fourth place. At this rate, I'm expecting the Bloc to form Official Opposition, with the NDP as the de facto progressive wing of the Commons unless the Liberals rally in the election after this one under Carney... who reminds me far too much of Ignatieff to come across as an inspiring figure.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think people dislike Justin so much even if he leaves the liberals are still boned. At this point I'd be happy as long as it isn't a conservative majority

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  4. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Dominic LeBlanc has been interested in the leadership for quite a while. I think he and Fraser have the best odds to save the furniture in the Atlantic (and the Liberals need to save the furniture here if they don't want the CPC to become the new "natural governing party" ) and he's probably savvy enough to avoid pissing off Québec in the campaign. I also see him being able to perform well against Poilievre during the debates - can't say the same for Freeland or Carney. Freeland in particular sounds incredibly out of touch.

I'm hoping for a CPC minority that has to depend on the Bloc to pass bills (longshot). But it'll probably be a Harper-on-steroids majority.

Anyway. For now I'm keeping my reluctantly acquired CPC 5-year membership for voting rights only. I may decide to cancel it and reluctantly acquire a Liberal membership if the leader's post becomes open. From the NDP to the Greens to the CPC to the Liberals, that would be quite the journey. Also planning on voting for Dominic Cardy's longshot Canadian Future Party in 2025 if they manage to get registered.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    What was Trudeau's quote after the bielection that there should be "change Canadians can see?" Yeah that's your problem, budday, optics!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well far be it from me to say anything positive about Ford, and I won't, but the LCBO is on strike and why is this even a thing anymore? Only a government run institution only place I can buy booze in the province of Ontario? (Yes I know restaurants and wineries but still overall I have to go to the LCBO) I mean, why? But here's OPSEU saying the quiet part loud why they're striking 'The LCBO also said the union's leadership had made it clear at the bargaining table that it would strike "solely over their demand that the government reverse its decision to have ready-to-drink (RTD) beverages (coolers and seltzers) being available in convenience and grocery stores."' So they are striking to maintain their monopoly to sell booze. Once again, why?

I'm stocked up pretty good for at least 2 months if this goes on for awhile (it will). After 2 weeks some options will be available. My father and I stocked up multiple times to get us through the dark nights. My sister and my mom love it, they are like "Yay! Prohibition part 2!"

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  7. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Canadian Jedi Master 75 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 19, 2023
    Personally speaking I'm hoping for a Conservative majority.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably will be. And some may think Poilivere will get along with Trump in the White House honestly Trump is gonna $!%# him over something because Trump screws over everyone so Poilivere will have to admit that his dream boy Trump is going to screw him. I'm sure it'll make Poilivere cry

9. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    It's not like Trump hasn't already forced Trudeau into getting rid of NAFTA because he didn't think it was a fair deal for the United States, because we now have the USMCA.

10. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Why?

11. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Aug 19, 2023
    So they can get rid of the carbon tax and a lot of other reasons.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Following up on this, there's scuttlebutt from the PMO that Carney is being looked at to replace Freeland as Finance Minister, which is probably a good appointment given his past experience... but it seems that the PMO's primary issue is with Freeland's messaging. I'm really not sure what it's going to take for the Grits to realize that they're not about to get thrown out of government because of their messaging.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Things are looking grim for the Liberals in the upcoming LaSalle-Emard-Verdun byelection. According to Mainstreet, it's 29% LPC, 26% BQ, 25% NDP. Some Liberal and NDP sources say the NDP could take this seat - so far the only declared candidate is local councillor Craig Sauvé for the NDP who is known in the area. This is a riding that Lametti won with 43% in 2021.

Meanwhile, the Conservatives have raised over half a million dollars recently in a one-day event in Mount Royal. Considering the momentum there and the demographics of the riding, it's not impossible that they succeed in unseating Anthony Housefather in 2025. And Mount Royal has been held by the Liberals since 1940. Pierre Trudeau's former seat.

14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been closely following the trajectory of this since it began as the "Centre Ice Conservatives" think tank a few years back, but the Canadian Future Party, designed to be a pragmatic, centrist alternative to the Liberals and Conservatives, has officially launched and will field candidates in the upcoming federal byelections.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-future-party-launches-1.7294230

I'm very curious to see if they can gain any significant traction. Unlike the People's Party, which I think has a very limited market to appeal to, there does seem to be a legitimate desire for an alternative to the current incarnations of the LPC, CPC and NDP. If people like what they hear, could this siphon support from the Liberals, and win back the disenfranchised voters who have parked themselves with the Conservatives for want of a better option? Going to be interesting to watch as we get closer to our next election.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't see it going anywhere, but it would be interesting to see if a party can take off without being a regional grievance party.

BigAl6ft6 and PymParticles like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "You want a even more centre centre, that's us, baby!"

[​IMG]

Darth_Duck likes this.