main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    A bit of both actually. Some custom design their costumes from scratch, others copy costumes directly from the movies, while others create costumes which are a bit of both.

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    jabba974 posted on 5/27/05 2:58pm
    Finally, I have some pics of my jedi costume!!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/Rots%20charity%20event/Picture005.jpg]

And the velcro worked perfect on the tabbards
    [hr][/blockquote]

Nice. Just need some boots now it looks like.

3. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Great costume, Jabba974! I like the green fabric you used.

4. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    I used a wool/polyester twill blend for the tunic, it lays really nice. For the tabbards I used a faux leather I found at Joann fabrics.

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Re-posting Nostradamus' post from another thread:

"Tips on making a Jedi Robe

PATTERN:

I looked through my pattern archive for suitable robe patterns and found these:

Simplicity # 9887 (a "Lord-of-the-Rings-esque" style for all sizes)

--I have used this one quite a bit as a basis for many costumes already. View B without the yoke detail and with a rounded hood works nicely for a Jedi robe much like Mace Windu's from EP I.
    This one calls for 9+ yards of 45" wide fabric or 7+ yards of 60" wide fabric.
    This one in black could make a nice Darth Sidious robe as well. (Sidious will need a very textured material, a waffle-weave is best, but not a stretchy fabric)

Butterick #3184 (larger child's "Harry Potter-esque" wizard's robe pattern will work for petite sizes)

--I have used this one for Harry Potter robes and Jedi robes with a few modifications. Again, it will need a rounded hood. I omitted the sleeve cuff.
    I like the sleeves on this but they come to a point. It looks good sitting in council, but the points look a little weird in saber battle.
    This robe pattern calls for about 7 yards of 45" wide fabric to make the largest size robe and about 5 yards of 60" wide.
    Again this pattern works if you have the build of a teenager. I made the largest size robe from this pattern for me and it just fits me.
    I am 5' 5".

Simplicity #5840 (A "Star Wars EP II-esque" pattern all sizes)

--View B again with a rounded hood looks like it would work. This pattern calls for about 8 yards of 45" wide fabric for all sizes.
    I have not yet used this pattern for any projects, but it looks very straight-forward. The sleeves are also straight-cuffed, so that would make it look like a fighting Jedi robe.

McCall's 2433 (a "Star Wars EP I-esque" pattern in all sizes)

--This is the easiest to make of all of the patterns, however it is also the least interesting-looking. The robe is not as full-cut, so it will not have as much 'flow' as the other patterns.
    A large robe will need about 6 yards of 45" fabric or nearly 5 yards of 60" wide.

Fabrics come in several widths (45", 54", 60")
    The width of the fabric is going to determine how much yardage you will need to purchase depending on which pattern you choose to follow. Buy the pattern you want to use first and then look at the back of the package for the yardages you will need."

6. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks Sister Sola!

7. JediRah

JediRah Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Anyone ever used 'pique' material in anything? (like this stuff: http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=K145)

It looks likes its got quite a coarse thread, but it would make for a machine washable robe if it was thick enough!

And 'Calcutta' fabric for a tunic? Terrible idea? (http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=J156).

(Sorry, I'm only going on online sources for these fabrics, of the huge number of 3 market-stalls selling fabric near me, one doesn't speak english, one is never open, and the last not particularly useful)

Also, how seriously is linen not machine washable? Are very nasty things likely to happen to it if I stuck it in a washing machine? (I'm too lazy to handwash things, sorry)

8. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    This costume was made of calcutta cloth and onasburg (sp?) for the tunics. Not sure the fabric in the robe...might be wool

However, I made all my Jedi costumes from linen. It is completely machine washable. Just be sure you wash the fabric in the same way you will the costume. I use warm water and a medium dryer. Some of the linen does have to be ironed, especially the tabards and sash. I use lightweight and medium weight (but don't use handkerchief weight
    Linen from Phoenix textiles

9. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I found an awesome material for a Jedi tunic...I'm not sure what it's called but it's slightly stretchy and kinda similar to crinkle cotton but thicker...I'll take pictures of it to show and it's the same colour as Qui-Gon's...I got it for $2/yard!!

Sarah

10. KevinKenobi

KevinKenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Hi,

First time to post here....I've read threw this thread and have seen lots of great costumes and links for How To stuff...every one here seems most knowledgable so my question is, does any one have any clue as to where I might could get my hands on an accurate Obi-Wan buckle thats on the fron of his smaller belt?

Please forgive me if I have missed a post rellated to this question.

Thank you for your time. :)

11. Boondock_Saint_Marc

Boondock_Saint_Marc Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    Linen is machine washable, but with a caveat: it does not take well to the rigours of modern washing machines. It does not typically hold a dye too well and as such may bleed at high temperatures. Likewise, washing it on hot (or machine washing it at all for that matter) will over a period of time weaken and/or damage the fibers. Now all fabrics will get weakened when you machine wash things, it's a fact of life (lint filter, anyone?). Your linen jedi costume will do just fine in the machine, but be advised that it will show wear and tear quicker than most fabrics. Then again, unless you're planning on washing it on a regular basis, it's not that big a deal. I would machine wash on delicate, just make sure to PRE SHRINK first and finish all your edges as linen will ravel very badly.

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I made a very interesting fabric find today - completely unintentional too. :cool: American Homestead Mercantile has a really neat cotton/linen homespun fabric that would work great for Jedi tunics and tabbards. And, the price is right at $4.25 a yard (60" width).

Check out the link here:
    ahmercantile.com homespun fabric

13. JediRah

JediRah Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    If I may just bounce these ideas off of fabric knowledgable people:
    Found two places that ship to the UK, but from the US makes it hard to get fabric swatches. Now they have some lovely remnants going for rather cheap.
    So,
    General Jedi cloak: brown wool garberdine (or 'italian taupe wool blend fabric' - which is 40% wool and 60% rayon, am less sure about the colour though)
    Count Dooku cloak: wool garderdine (black? it seems to be lined in brown, or just be brown half the time, what colour is it really?)
    Count Dooku top: suede? (well, it would be fake suede), again black, because it might look impressive.
    Count Dooku Trousers: black cotton (maybe poly-cotton, cos its easier to wash)
    Han Solo shirt: white cotton

This stuff is all like $2 a yard, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't perfect. But being a novice, I was wondering on your ideas on my fabric choices?

14. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I've searched through most of these pages and was curious if anyone has any tips on an inner tunic? Does the Simplicity pattern cover it? That's all I'm lacking really to finish my costume.

15. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    I make my inner tunics the same as the outer, just a little shorter and the sleeves longer and tighter.

16. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    EDIT : Sorry. Check the ObiWan Thread for progress on my jedi costume.

<Mae>

17. Bunglegirl

Bunglegirl Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Has anyone used Simplicity 4450 yet? I picked it up when it was on sale because my brother mentioned he wanted to be Obi Wan. Do any variatoins need to be made to it?

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Do you all think Velvet shouldn't be part of the basic Jedi Garb (not the cloak).

I'm thinking of doing a Prequel Jedi Garb whose color scheme is inspired by this LOTR Elven Character and I really want to use Vines-Pattern Velvet for either the Tabbards or Obi. :p

Rest is Cheesecloth (Outer Tunic), Linen or Cotton (Inner Tunic) and either Linen-Cotton or some Polyester Fabric for the Robe.

19. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Darth_Eagle:
    I will preface my comment by sharing that I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Jedi. The babble from Lucas Arts is that the Jedi's garb is meant to fit in with the common people throughout the universe. In that regard, velvet seems a bit up-scale.

However, "shouldn't"??.....well, that depends on the purpose for the costume. If you're doing it for fun, then have at it and make it in whatever way pleases you. Your idea of using it for tabbards and obi actually sounds nice.

If you want something canon, I'd say velvet isn't appropriate. But doing the same vining pattern in a more "ordinary" fabric would be close to canon.

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    It is actually meant kinda as a Fun Costume ;) just like my 1st Singapore Jedi Padawan Garb (which is unfortunately a little flop). But I may also want to use it to edit my photo at Rebel Legion, and since I want to be different, think Dark & Royal Blue Color Schemed Jedi Garb should be the one.

I do want to include a Bronze (or similar) Vinyl Tabbards in the outfit (so that means the Tabbard will not be velvet) to correspond to the Metal Armor on the actual, but felt to keep the design closer to the inspiration, something has to be Royal Blue Velvet too. The thots now is that if the Obi is the Velvet, then I'll make do without a Belt and stuffs get hung elsewhere (maybe some hooks from a thin belt behind the Obi?)

As for character wise, don't have one actually. I just ran out of ideas what color to use for my Prequel Jedi Garb as don't want to be one of those "Brown and Coffee and Beige and Grey" Jedi Knights. [face_thinking]

21. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. I'm planning on having a SW-themed portrait of my children taken this Halloween. My daughter who is 10 weeks old today will be sporting the fleece Leia costume that is being sold over at sws.com.

My 3 year old son's costume is what's causing me the problem. I had planned on buying him the off-the-shelf Anakin costume and then "tweaking" it a bit. The problem is I can't seem to find one of those 'packaged' costumes small enough to fit him. It seems the smallest version they make is for 4-6 year olds. Like I said, he's only 3 and is a very small 3 to boot.

Has anyone else out there with kids run into this same problem and if so, what was your solution.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

22. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    i'm hoping someone can help me out here. i noticed in the pictures that many of you made your boots by making spats that cover over the shoes. my son is going to be a jedi for halloween and we are making his costume rather than buying a pre-made one. so far it is coming along quite well, but i'm a bit stumped on the spats. is there a pattern that can be used or is it more so a trial-and-error type thing. i'm probably making a bigger deal out of this, but i'm also kind of new at this stuff. thanks for any help.

23. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Darth Wormie-
    There is a spat/gaiter pattern (gaiter is the word for spats which go above the ankle) in Simplicity 5520. It might be a little expensive to buy a pattern just for that, but you also might decide to use it again. Good luck and send us pictures.

24. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    thanks electrakitty,i will check out the pattern. it helps to know that they have a pattern out there that will guide us. i'm sure one of the stores will have a sale on the patterns - they always seem to. thanks again for your help...

25. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Whoops, sorry Obi-Dave. I responded to the wrong sn. My bad :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.