main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    But I need to see it resolved in live action, so that when I do a marathon of the movies all plot points will be resolved I am very odd and OCDy about movies [face_laugh]. The biggest syndicate in the galaxy going unpunished is also a massive plot point left.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It almost feels abit misplaced to just have it in Solo and do nothing with it.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That is because it IS misplaced. Maul's story in TCW doesn't lead up to to his appearance in SOLO. The next Maul story we should have been getting was what happened to Maul and his Super Commandos that ended with him being stranded on Malachor. But now all this extra nonsense about Maul creating a huge criminal organization from scratch has to be explained instead. Personally I would prefer SOLO to be decanonised instead. I don't dislike SOLO as a movie but it just doesn't fit with the canon.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I find him being in the film very interesting and I like the connecting of Rebels and this film.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I need to watch Rebels. "Need" is a pretty strong word though

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Connecting? They are not connected at all. Well, maybe the only exception being Maul has the same lightsabre he has in Rebels.

7. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I just thought with rebels and his mechanical legs and stuff, its just connected. my mistake.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    :) Well yeah he does have the mech legs too (although they are a different design). It is just that Maul in Rebels is clearly linked to his final stories in The Clone Wars (plus Son of Dathomir and Siege of Mandalor). In Rebels he tells Ezra all about the things the Sith had done to him, that he once had power and now has nothing. It really doesn't sound like he built a galaxy spanning crime syndicate in between the two.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    BrotherKylo likes this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He is a omni-talented master in the art of living. After the crime syndicate and the death in rebels he figured out how to breed midichlorians and created a new hyperspace drive that allows you to jump from Ahch-To to Crait within 2 seconds.
    Wait and see

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    BrotherKylo likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Solo film featured Maul, Rogue One featured Vader and now TROS features Sidious. Coincidence, not likely. The trailer for TROS also shows Maul, Vader and Sidious, they are the three most important villains and Dark Side characters of the saga and always cast a looming shadow over the heroic characters which includes Han for SOLO and Leia for RO and Rey.

The storylines in Lucasfilm are always evolving, so that explains any grey area or discrepancy real or perceived between SOLO and Rebels, plus its a cartoon series. You cannot expect a movie to take a backseat to a cartoon. Moreover there was a 6 month gap between Season 2 and Season 3 for Rebels. Was not like they bothered developing the character or arcs, they just sped things along to end character and eventually the series.

Maul lied and deceived Ezra throughout that cartoon series to manipulate him. Why assume he told him the actual truth on Dathomir anymore than Yoda and Kenobi told Luke the actual truth?! The only consistent thing they had him do while on Rebels is save Ezra's life. The show was a mess.

The Crimson Dawn is still active during the sequel trilogy, but without Maul's leadership its power had waned considerably - atleast according to Kanjiklubber Razoo and Master Codebreaker whom viewed it as relic of the past - but these characters are shady and not A listers.

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    DARTH Maul is a minor character in one movie oc the saga. He appears to die and does not return. He is in no way an important villain. The only reason Vader is in Rogue One, and Maul inserted into Solo, and now Palpatine dug up for IX, is because they are recognised by casual viewers. Only the V ader appearance makes sense.
    I can expect a cartoon to take president over a film when the character belongs primarily to the cartoon. The Clone Wars took the dead character and reused it basically as a new character and created a new story for him. For SOLO to pluck Maul from his set story and completely change his position in the universe and then expect someone else to explain how he got to be there and back again to his previous situation, is incredibly lazy writing and seems quite disrespectful to me.

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    TROS teaser trailer appearance and SOLO cameo appearance with his criminal empire speaks for itself along. Not to mention the character's importance in TPM and later the TCW storylines AND he's got massive fanbase & consistent longevity for 20 years. All your complaining and wishing it away commenting won't change that.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You said the saga which is EpI to IX. Maul is not an important character there. LFL's choice to pack the first half of the IX teaser with previous film footage only shows their desperation to appeal to old fans of those films.
    Maul has become an important character in the animated tv series'. That is were his story is told.
    There is nothing wrong with a movie using him in a cameo, but it absolutely should make sense and the character should be able to be returned without massive story changes. SOLO doesn't do either. The people who put Maul in there, didn't care about the consequences of his appearance. They just wanted a cheap viewer shock / fan service.

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well the writers of Solo have given off the impression they wanted the Solo sequel to be a war between the crime syndicates — Crimson Dawn, the Pykes and the Hutts.

Bor Mullet and PCCViking like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Gang war is perfect for steaming service. Maul/Qira series.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And the outcome of such a war would lead Maul to be stranded by the time his role in Rebels came around.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Maul implied that it was because of the sith that he had nothing on Malachor. He had no reason to lie about that, and all the other things he said the sith had done to him were true.

Don't forget Black Sun and the Zann Consortium.

18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well really you have to do something with Maul. Now you have reintroduced him into live action you gotta resolve that. there are people who do not read the expanded material or watch the clone wars. they were shocked to see Maul back and alive. so they kinda need to do something for that audience. there needs to be some resolvement there in some way or another.

But at the same time just how much life is in the concept of Crimson Dawn. is it something that could be a thing in Cassian Andor show and maybe another show down the line? is it something that needs to be resolved ASAP or is there more life to it that at some point will need to be resolved just so casual audiences don't question Mauls fate in the OT.

Sarge likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Sidious and Vader, via the Empire, had groups like the Hutts and other cartels wage war against Crimson Dawn and Maul. It wouldn't be the first time that Sidious made use of others to get some dirty work done. Maul would know who was responsible if Crimson Dawn was crushed or severely weakened.

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I guess that could make sense. Bring in Xizor with Black Sun now heavily backed by Sidious.

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.
  21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Even if you want to ignore Clone Wars & Rebels (which is unwise given it's both the lion's share of the guy's story, and coming from George & George's handpicked animation guy), he's not minor in influence in TPM. In screentime, in dialogue, sure. But ultimately this is Palpatine's first apprentice, who offs Qui-Gon and sets Anakin and Obi-Wan on a path together. Maul's death brings about Dooku and his influence on the galaxy, the whole stuff surrounding this guy is pretty major.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    There are 9 years between TCW and Solo. Given that Maul had once led a criminal empire in TCW, and given that he didn’t necessarily build Crimson Dawn from scratch (he may have simply taken over an existing power structure and put his stamp on it), it’s perfectly possible for him to be who he was at the end of Solo. And following that, there are 5 years between the end of Solo and Maul’s appearance in Rebels, in a more forlorn and emaciated state. Clearly something big happened to him, and we don’t know what, but having incomplete information does not mean it’s not connected. We have incomplete information about the early kings of England, but that doesn’t make them disconnected.

@BrotherKylo Don’t just accept filtered information from other fans. This information is colored by bias, taste, and not a small amount of contempt.

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [face_laugh]
    Maul is a ''Big Time Player'' who can make an impact during the timeline of the Empire.
    Dave Filoni describes Maul as a ''Super Dangerous'' threat and a Vader-realm character.
    Maul is a loss for the Grand Sith Plan.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh? Can you list all the connections that Maul has from SOLO to the tv animations then? It is a fact that they could have put anyone in that cameo role. A cool new character, or Jabba, or Xizor, or Tyber Zann (I already mentioned earlier in this thread all the similarities to Forces of Corruption's story in SOLO.)

You both misunderstood my quote. I was talking only about the movies. Of course Maul is a major character in TCW and Rebels and Star Wars as a whole after he was brought back and new stories written.

25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    He's a major presence in TPM, too. That entire movie's about the grand evil finally starting to come out of the woodwork and put a plan in motion, Maul's the lower of the two individual in that dynamic of course, but his whole archetype is silent-assassin. He's not designed to have major conversations and drama with anyone. Dude's still all over that movie in presence and influence.

Erkan12, TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.