main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Gaah, it's going to be a while before I can watch the new episodes... :(

2. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    Except I still see him as the dead corrupt cop from LA Confidential. Since he's a great character, I hope that'll pass.
    His behavior when telling Tigh about the disposal of the civilian ships leads me to also think he'll go against Cain. And her desire to kick the Cylons off Caprica makes me see a glorious death in battle for her, like the original Cain.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    And her desire to kick the Cylons off Caprica makes me see a glorious death in battle for her, like the original Cain.

She doesn't deserve a glorious death.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I heartily agree. The woman's a heartless menace and deserves to be brought down and knocked off of her high horse.

5. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Just like Starbuck.[face_plain]

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Starbuck is NOT Cain. She may be insubordinate and rude, but Starbuck is NOT heartless. She's also not an outright, cold murderer like Cain is, which is why she most likely will disobey Adama's orders.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Starbuck also seems to be very passionate, whereas Cain is very cold.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Starbuck also wasn't the one who let rape happen on her ship. Starbuck did not leave a fleet of surviviors behind without a means to defend themselves or escape the cylons.

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Didn't President Roslyn do that?[face_thinking]

10. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003

Who already didn't have FTL drives, so were doomed anyway, and Roslin didn't have any weapons to give besides a damaged Viper.

Cain had a Battlestar, and stripped her ships of equipment and personnel and killed any and all who resisted.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Cain encouraged rape on her ship, not just allowed it. For her it's all about the glory of war, and winning. While Starbuck wants to win, she has a huge streak of humanity, as does Roslin. The President only sacrificed people when the fate of the human race as a whole was at stake, she did what she had to for the common good of the populace. Cain does things for the good of herself and her ship.

I think Cain sees Starbuck as herself at a younger age I think. That's why she likes her and promoted her.

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I thought she just promoted Starbuck because she was willing to take a chance, and be daring, someone willing to take the fight to the enemy and more importantly think outside the box.

I'm all for Cain going out in a blaze of glory. Though this is how I think that episode will go down, pure speculation.

First 43 minutes the prep for the attack and the actual attack. Last 30 seconds shows Starbuck going into CIC and then there is some commotion and the next thing you see is Cain staring at the muzzle of a weapon and then...NEXT TIME ON BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! And we still dont' know who the shooter is. :p

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I hope not if only for my fiance's sake. When I get mad at the show I tend to take it out on him (being the closest most available target). He ducked at the end of the last episode :p

Seriously, we're going to know who does it this time, we have to.

14. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    So is this the new place for all the "cool" BSG discussion? The Ampetheater thread was pretty good.

Anyway, just like the first half finale, the first 5 minutes and last minute were the most dramatic and thrilling bits of TV I've ever seen. I loved the team chicken they were playing at the beginning. I couldn't figure out why Kat was the one begging for a weapons free order while the Peg' pilots seemed uncomfortable with the whole confrontation. Maybe not all the Peg's pilots would side with her in another confrontation.

I loved the design of the Ressurection ship, btw. Did anyone else really think it was a cool design?

My favorite line from Friday was from Tigh. "It's another one of Starbuck's crazy stunts. Thank the Gods!" That cracked me up.

ONE MORE DAY!

15. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Yup, one more day for you lucky people. i gotta wait till sunday. :(

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    QFT, that was a great line :D

17. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I just finished watching season 2.0 on DVD and I must say that the last few minutes of Pegesaus is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series so far. I saw last weeks episode and I'm very much looking forward to tonights episode, which is on in 5 minutes or so, but unfortunately after that I'm back to college and probably won't see the rest of season 2 until they release it on DVD this summer. Blar.

18. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You know its on iTunes now.

Two bucks and a high speed connection and its yours.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Admiral Adama = :cool:

This was a tense episode. It could not have opened better..."48 hours earlier". Sweet. Both commanders change their minds, and I take full credit for guessing who kills Cain. ;)

Just as it was in the original series it was great to see the battlestars take on the Cylons. They are not overmatched, they just went in and outgunned them.

The new commander of the Pegasus will make a great addition to the cast. There is some conflict set up there shown in his comments earlier..."You can't rape a machine." I also thought he would not go through with killing Adama if the order was given, but he most certainly would have done so.

And now Apollo..."I didn't want to make it back."

Adama...the Pres...KISS!

Six got away and has hidden somewhere in the fleet. So now, isn't that TWO Six's in the fleet?

20. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Yup, two Sixes. We never did find out what happened to Shelley Godfrey...

The Adama-Roslin kissed really bowled me over.

Otherwise, I didn't like this episode so much. It seemed a bit blah, IMO.

Just as I felt Helena Cain showed a bit of humanity...whack! :rolleyes:

As for Fiske...

I understand he's not going to last long...some spoiler I read somewhere. Which is a shame, because I liked him a lot

21. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I thought this episode was rather excellent. The only thing I am unsure of is the opening which showed Apollo drifting in space already. It was sort of how in Season 1 where they showed Starbuck crashing throughout the episode. I just think both of those events would have been cooler had the audience been completely not expecting them to happen. It wasn't a big deal though, the episode still worked. Overall besides that one issue I think Battlestar Galactica is one of the best edited shows on television. The openers to Kobols Last Gleaming and Home part 2, and the concluding scenes of Pegasus and the following episode would rank at about my favorite tv scenes ever. In history!

I have a feeling something will happen to the Pegasaus before the end of the season though. The show is called Battlestar Galactica after all. Unless Pegasus goes off by itself...spinoff? Probably not, I think it's likely Pegasus will somehow be destroyed, but I'm not sure how. Also wouldn't be suprised if there turned out to be another cylon or two aboard.

22. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I thought it was a pretty effective way to open the episode. A cheap trick maybe (one that seems to becoming increasingly popular. The last SG-1 and Alias both used the same thing) but overall its just a teaser for the episode.

All we knew was that he was drifting in space. You don't know why and you don't know how. In the end for that particular scene neither how or why he got there really mattered since the real tension was in what he was doing out there. Personally watching the Blackbird explode while Lee was flying was still a shock even with knowing that Lee was drifting in space.

Overall it was a great episode. One of the finest hours of television out there IMO. Its just going to get better from here on out too.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, they totally gave away the destruction of the Blackbird early, that was a real bummer. I was shocked at Apollo's reaction, he didn't want to come back. But the more I thought about it the more it made sense. He could handle his father wanting to kill Cain, but not the president. That really shook him. Now we know when he gets the paddles of life though, I was wondering that since the 2.0 DVDs.

Think they will really kill Sharon's baby or will they find a way to save her and Laura?

EDIT: Best line: "Oh Frack you" "You're not my type"

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ya know, for some reason seeing Apollo floating didn't really give away the Blackbird's "death" to me- I was still super-surprised when it happened.

And those battle scenes- gorgeous! Stunning! Amazing!

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I think I missed something in the previous episode because I didn't know Apollo was going to be flying the Blackbird, but even if I had known there was still a suspense created with that opener because it could have been just his ship lost or much of the fleet was turned into a debris field that he was floating through making it look like they had lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.