main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I was puzzling over the new "Samarine Sector" (subsector of D'Astan), and the only reference I could find was a reference to "Samarine Province" in GG9... and then I remembered Jason remarking on how the Valahari storyline in the DH Clone Wars comic referred to "the Provinces"... that's all kinds of awesome. =D=

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    recently reread a few YJK books...

so these "Core Systems" beyond the Hapes Cluster are NOT the Deep Core or Galactic Core. And since the Imperial Remnant is no danger because of the peace treaty she could not mean that one, too.

Thus what region is meant here? close to Hapes, beyond Hapes if viewed from Coruscant. Imperial Core territory of Imperials that did not join the Remnant or peace accords.

Karnak Alpha is part of it but it is listed by the Atlas in the Core Worlds, southern Core M-13. Nowhere close to Hapes. How does the reference to Hapes then make sense from Leia? especially since it should be NEAR the core systems, not IN the Core. or did she mean Deep Core? which, too it is not close to since it is on the rimward end of the core worlds close to the boarder. I like that the Atlas placed it but the placement seems to contradict the book it came from.

huh?

3. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Where is the conversation being held, Coruscant or Yavin? (My books are mostly packed away right now)

4. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Coruscant, Dinner, Solohome

thus beyond Hapes is the other direction and not the Atlas placement^^

EDIT: just noticed the latest Atlas appendix pdf had its location in M-10, Core Worlds, same grid as Kuat in between Coruscant and Hapes

sorry I was mistaken earlier, not M-13. M-10. that is better but still not optimal because it is not beyond hapes but between hapes and coruscant. closer to deep core systems but still not optimal.

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I wonder what KJA was thinking in terms of geography - if they're on Coruscant, the Deep Core is right there. Maybe he thought the Hapes Cluster in the Core as well?

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    If you go through Courtship of Princess Leia, you'll find indications that Dathomir, and by extension Hapes, should be quite close to the Core Worlds. We did move some worlds that had been placed incorrectly -- Lorrd is one example. Other times, though, a placement had become so established that it made more sense to throw out text references that don't fit. Hapes, for instance.

If you look deeply you'll find lots of that -- the warlord era and the Zahn books are particularly messy. (Not a criticism -- there was no map.) I think the way I put it once was in the real world you might not know where Philadelphia was, but if you learned it's on the Schuykill River and X miles from New York you could make an educated guess. But in Star Wars it's entirely possible you'd get two distances from New York and a source that said Philadelphia is on the Hudson.

Anyway, back to filling out the biography of Uueg Tching.

Oh yeah, re the Harch -- yes, the strong implication is that there's a connection between the Harch and the Aqualish. I find it interesting that we ever saw Ponda Baba as a walrus. After the prequels and the Clone Wars, I look at him now and think, "It's so obvious he's a spider."

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Ah, that's nice to hear, thought there was something behind the Ando-reference. Makes sense that Trench was a Separatist, then.

8. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, I like that you made Phatrong the homeworld of the Kyuzo. My question is which came first? Is this a reference to the Cartoon Network site that once identified Embo's species as Phatrong, or were both you and CN referring to another, unpublised source that first created Phatrong?

~ Eyrezer

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That came direct from LFL, so can't claim credit....

10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Is Phatrong in any way related to "Phattro", a planet advertized in the episode Lethal Trackdown?

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Let me check on Phattro. Seems like it might be a star system at least. Kudos to the eagle-eyed viewer who caught that one!

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Wookieepedia listed it and there was a talk page collection of screencaps where it is seen on advertisment along with Ryloth and Kashyyyk (or 'Kashyk' as it was written in Aurebesh, hey, maybe that's something new as well :D).

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    not new worlds, maybe a short-language variant used for advertisings and slang? might be something linguistic rather than a new world. or... if you need to create some ballshaped planetoid... hello new moon^^

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Tzizvvt, could you point me to the screengrabs? Many thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, found 'em.

15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Aurebesh is backwards, I think the animators flipped the images when they made the episode. There's also some detailed degradation on the drawings, from the underworld moisture. Hard to tell what's part of the picture and what's not. I think it looks like some kind of rounded skyscrapers or fungus growth on the Phattro representation.

16. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I was flipping through the second edition of GG5 and found a couple of planets that weren't in the OC (and a sector too).

In the last few pages of the book there are a few adventure ideas presented by the author, including one called "Escape to Sullust," which takes place on the Imperial-held world Adras. I couldn't find anything on where it was located in the galaxy.

There's also a planet called Vo Tunbren mentioned in an adventure at the end of the book, "Remnants of the Empire." Here's a quote: "The file indicates that after Moridon graduated from the Imperial Academy, he reported for duty as a security officer at a communications research facility on Vo Tunbren, a planet in the remote Tadra sector (near the Kathol-Minos region)."

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Nice catch, Xicer. Those alternate WEG editions are the bane of my existence -- I didn't realize just how much new stuff is hiding in them. I wonder how many other systems are yet to come to light.

Plus I found another one in that adventure -- Udrin Cara, in the Mid Rim.

So Tadra sector will be a subsector of an existing ORT sector -- I'm going to propose Cegul to LFL.

Anyway, we'll get those three in the next update. Thanks for the heads-up!

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Just had a couple of questions pertaining to "Design an Alien" related stuff in the Atlas, Jason.

Firstly, is Critoki meant to be the original homeworld of the Critokians? The original entry states that they come from Yavin 4, but I was just wondering if the inference was that they came from there originally.

Secondly, the original entry for Hysalrians established that they came from Dagobah, but Leland Chee more recently mooted Yoda's earlier visit there for his training. I was just wondering if Hysalria was meant to be substituted for Dagobah in that original entry, in so far as it being both the homeworld of the Hysalrians and the place where Del Gormo trained Yoda?

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Re the discovery from GG5, 2nd edition....

Would you guys be up for a little crowdsourcing? What I'd like to do is list the WEG editions that WEREN'T used for the Atlas, in case there are other missing systems lurking in them somewhere. Bet we could ferret out any remaining ones in relatively short order....

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Go for it. I can check my copies, though they aren't nearly as extensive as some peoples.

21. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Udrin Cara appears to be the name of a facility though, not a planet. My initial thought was that it was a space station.

Ah, wonderful! And don't forget about the planet Verig from Assault on Hoth, which I mentioned a few pages back. ;)

Sure, go for it. I scanned through the added adventures from second editions of the ANH and ESB GGs, but haven't come across anything new.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I had forgotten Verig. Thanks Xicer.

So here's the list of editions to check:

Classic Adventures 1 (I doubt the adventures have been updated, but you never know)
    Classic Adventures 2
    Classic Adventures 3
    Classic Adventures 5
    Death Star Technical Companion, 1st edition
    Escape from the Death Star
    GG1: A New Hope, 2nd edition
    GG2: Yavin and Bespin, 2nd edition
    GG3: The Empire Strikes Back, 2nd edition
    GG4: Alien Races, 2nd edition
    GG6: Tramp Freighters, 2nd edition
    Imperial Sourcebook, 1st edition
    Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
    Planets of the Galaxy, Vol. 1
    Planets of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
    Planets of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
    Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, 2nd edition
    Star Wars Sourcebook, 2nd edition
    Gamemaster Kit
    Gamemaster Screen, 1st edition
    Star Wars Rules Companion
    Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition

Many thanks!

23. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Does anyone know what the usual if any changes(besides from stat numbers/changes), are between the 1st and 2nd editions of the WEG RPG stuff? I have probably 95% of the WEG stuff but it is mostly 2nd edition with a smattering of 1st here and there.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hey 4DE, missed your questions. I took Critoki from Millennium Falcon, not realizing it was a reference to the earlier work. I think it makes more sense that way anyway. Ditto for the Hysalrians -- I did place them close to Dagobah because of the original reference, if memory serves. (Plus I suspect there was an implied connection to the Sluissi.)

Xicer, I'm inclined to regard Udrin Cara as a planet. I read that as shorthand, like you'd say "Hoth, a base...." Heck, the more worlds the merrier.

And now back to Warfare.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I finally got to read Hyperspace Adventures 1...lots of Atlas allusion goodness