main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Saleucami was to be made a foundry world. We see one farm, but that does not mean the entire world consisted only of farms.

2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    My prior knowledge of Saleucami is limited so forgive my ignorance on the matter. But TEA said that the planet was taken with the intention of it being converted into a mech-world. So, perhaps the process was never finished or was planned but never started? Prior to TCW, did the EU state that it was heavily mechanised or not? If so, I think the best way to fix it is as you said, just have the Saleucami in TCW be another inhabitable planet in the region. Perhaps the system had two inhabitable worlds and the Techno Union decided to convert one completely into a mech-world whilst the other remained an agricultural colony? Just a thought.

3. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Well we have to remember that the depictions of Saleucami in the EU are all based on the appearances of the world in a brief scene in RotS, in which the area shown is a vast desert expanse with some oasises and large pods. I imagine that parts of Saleucami, such as a capital city or the cloning facility are heavily mechanised but the planet's role as a "mech-world" was either a planned future expansion or due to the world being somewhat resource rich, with mines that feed smaller industrialised areas.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Right, and their could always be "rural sections" - the problem is that the EU world definitively belonged to the Techno Union at the start of the war and by the end is one of their biggest remaining strongholds. It wouldn't make much sense for Grievous to need to escape offworld if there was some kind of a Confederacy presence there.
    Checking the Atlas, it does place the events from CWAS definitively on the world, but notes: "...by 35 BY the Techno Union had claimed the planet for transformation into one of its new mechworlds" and "...during the Siege of Saleucami, Republic troops made a slow advance against entrenched Techno Union droid and weapon storehouses."
    With Mustafar (also a Techno Union holding) showing up in the CWAS it was easier, as it was remote and not a major holding. It's a little harder to bridge the gap between the two Saleucamis, and it has to do with the interplay of the Republic forces and Grievous on the world; the comment about it being a "farming world" is more about the lack of indications solely within the CWAS that there's anything else there. By itself, no, it's not an issue, just a little irritating that they couldn't just use a brand new world instead.
    That doesn't mean there can't be solutions. For example, since the Techno Union did have members that went off to the Republic or declared their neutrality, at that point in the war it could've been under the aegis of one of the neutral members - later on, they decide to throw support to the Confederacy or the Confederacy takes the world directly.

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    On a related note, I was a little disappointed by the implementation of the Separatist Congress - CWAS has been great giving us new Senators, some detailed, others not. But the Congress really hasn't fleshed out any members, at least not yet; even Padme's old friend didn't rate a world or sector. I'm hoping we will see more, because if they're moving the focus away from the Council, they really need to show us the Confederacy.

6. LordDarthPaxis

Oct 23, 2010
    To be honest I really don't see Saleucami as a problem. I mean look at the Siege of Saleucami, it was an assault against an extremely top-secret cloning facility and even that was underground. I imagine that much of the industrialisation of Saleucami occured underground or across a few scattered urban centres amidst the wastes. If the Separatists were building Saleucami up as a mech-world, the Morgukai cloning facility leads me to believe that they were doing so in secret, and as such, had very little forces stationed there so they wouldn't tip the Republic off. I imagine that when Grievous was at Saleucami there were either little to no forces available to help him, at least not enough to turn the tide, or he simply didn't want to tip the Republic off to the existence of a cloning facility that could very well have helped turn the tide of the war. Maybe even a combination of both these factors.

As for the Separatist Senate there is NOTHING in the Clone Wars era that I want to see more of. I want to see who takes Mina's place as the leader of the more progressive Senate faction, how they impede Sidious' plans and how they ultimately become dissolved. I wouldn't mind seeing a Separatist Council meeting during the Outer Rim Sieges (perhaps after the Fall of Raxus) in which Dooku, as a forshadowing of Tarkin's later announcement, declares to the Council that the Senate has been dissolved and they are know running the remaining Confederate star systems.

7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't think we've seen one single meeting of the Council in CWAS, have we? (Half of them are in jail most of the time anyways :p)

I never thought of a parallel between the Imperial Senate and the Confederacy Congress like that... it would make sense to finally bridge the series to ROTS - the Congress really has to be out of the picture by then.

8. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    If this has been discussed here before, I apologize, cuz I missed it in the thread. But what's up with the planets/systems on the sector maps that are right on the border line between two sectors. The new Mid Rim map, for example, shows Dulathia half in the Truum and half in the Lantillian sector.

Should this just be considered to be planets in two sectors, based on overlapping and confusing territory in that area?

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    There's a village in the north of England that's been listed in three different counties in the past 30 years that a couple have lived there due to it being right at the intersect between several. I guess that's what could possibly be the case here with sectors?

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    do they have a sector listed in the appendix? that should settle this. if not, they are in one or the other sector. I doubt planets would be in both. rather in neither if free and independent.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I think Jason had a comment somewhere in the thread about shifting borders; we have one prominent example in canon - Duro, which was taken from its eponymous sector and added to the Corellian Sector during the Empire days.

12. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Why didn't I think of that? :) Dulathia is in the Lantillian sector according to that list, by the way.

13. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    I've had this book since the day it came out, but just noticed today the strange dating system used in the maps depicting the six movies. Instead of the Battle of Yavin )or the Ruusan Reformations even), the start date seems to be three years prior to the Battle of Naboo. I looked everywhere in the book, but can't seem to find the significance of this date, or why it was used as a calendar epoch. Can anyone explain this to me?

EDIT: It just dawned on me to look up 35 BBY on Wookiepedia; in case anyone else had the same question as I did, that was the year that the Great Resynchronization occurred, with the out-of-universe explanation being that was the year the Clone Wars were originally presumed to have ended according to early Expanded Universe sources.

14. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Removed.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep - WEG originally introduced it (mainly for articles in the Adventure Journal, but they did appear elsewhere), and the online HNN (which is here if you haven't seen it before, highly recommend it) came up with the Great Resynch explanation.

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Note that the Oktos Nebula goes all the way to the Hutt Space border, and that the Hutt Space map has greatly reduced detail outside that border; it's entirely possible the nebula spills over into the sector. Also note that there's an Oktos Route skirting the Oktos Nebula, which looks to either form, or be very close to, the northern border of the Oktos Sector.

(I do hope it forms the northern border, since the Cygnus system, presumably in the Cygnus Star Empire established by The Written Word to be located on the Oktos Route, is said in the updated Appendix to be in the Esaga sector.)

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Are there still any fans out there working on fanmade Atlas maps? Kinda adapting atlas maps by charting novel courses and other stuff, layovers of several maps from different eras etc. ?

some talked about that early after Atlas arrived but never heard from them since, hmmm

18. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Not sure if its been mentioned but has anyone noticed the Vaagari Corridor near Chiss Space? Presumably, Is the name a mistake? I assume its named after the Vagaari, so...

19. LordDarthPaxis

Oct 23, 2010
    I always assumed that the Corridor started off as a major trade corridor, which ultimately resulted in it being preyed upon quite heavily by (and possibly even abandoned to) the Vagaari. I'm not 100% sure but if I remember correctly the Geroon system lies very close the the Vagaari Corridor, indicating it was very near the systems outside of Chiss Space that the Vagaari raided frequently.

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Apparantly, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue has the new Star Tours space station located in the Earth system. :p

21. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    There sure is. I just added that to Wookieepedia myself. On one hand, they gave a little back story to the ride. On the other hand... the Earth system.

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

*sigh* as much as I love Star Tours I can't stand that others try to take it seriously as canon when it clearly is not even the slightest. Star Tours 1 was retconnable easier than Star Tours II given its placement pre-ANH.

So is Earth system a system in the GFFA that is not related to our Earth? Or shall it indeed be our Earth ruining the "galaxy far far away" line if taken seriously...

best retcon to include all of Star Tours 2 so far I came up with is, have it be not 1BBY but 1000ABY around the time the E.T.s have visited our Earth in the 70-80s already and include it in between E.T. movie and our THX future (if taking Lucasverse stuff only as per Alien Chronicles that I still love and favor to tie everything together!)... C3PO and R2 can work for Star Tours easily then if still in existance and the rest is a tourist gag show reliving the famous adventures of the past a long time ago with Vader, Yoda etc. impersonators to shock the customers a bit inuniverse.

other retcons I heard of taking only some story elements, frame story or such I dislike a bit though some sounded reasonable.

Earth system wise, lets have it be "Willow Earth's" scifi-future several thousand years post-"Elora Danan"... that way it can be inuniverse in GFFA and we canonize Willow and the april fools databank update of long long ago ;) oh pleeeaaaase!

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Wonder if the Earth system will be listed as being in the Mid Rim or Outer Rim, given our own blue marble is in a similar astrographical location? ;)

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ironically, we are not in the Earth System at all. Earth is part of the Solar (or Sol) System. Thus, different location.

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh God.