main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Everything" Topic - Filmmaking Tutorials, Resources, Etc.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loosecannons

loosecannons Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2008
    a good force push sound is on Fan-Files.com

it's in the Lego Star Wars demo sfx file:

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    One way is to use software like After Effects or VirtualDub and simply export the sequence as a .gif file - one thing you have to look out for though is how many frames it has or it can get quite large. Here's a quick search to get you started. :)

3. kuatengineer

kuatengineer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 3, 2008
    OK, sometimes you just have to dive in. I am not sure I could be considered a n00b, because I have never been involved in any way in making a film - fan or otherwise. I suppose I could get a wild hair one day, and want to put together a story that I would want to see turned into a film, but even that may be ambitious. I have basically staggered into this forum as a fan. I'm a Star Wars fan, and I enjoy (most) fan films, and feel like I can appreciate what goes into making one. Especially given the fact that you can't profit from it. So, as much as anything, I found my way here searching for films I haven't seen, looking for info on films that will hopefully come out in the future, etc. I have also read through most of the sticky's to try to avoid a serious faux pas here, but I'm not sure I can avoid that at this point. That brings me to my question(s):

What would it take to host/organize a fan film preservation site? Basically, there are plenty of films that I have found on lists, etc. that are almost impossible to find and download anymore. But, I know that there are folks out here on these boards that are likely to have them on a DVD or hard drive somewhere. So, what would it take for those files to be uploaded into a place where they could be downloaded and shared? As a fan, I would love to basically see one main resource for being able to download films, not relaint upin the maker of the film to keep it 'alive' in the public domain.

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    That's an excellent question, I've wondered about that in the past as well - sort of a "library" if you will. Really anyone with a solid hosting package and perhaps a nice player/download interface could do it...there are lots of great hosting companies for low prices these days so the biggest commitment is time, really. :)

5. kuatengineer

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for the reply DV. I have some ideas about how to make it pretty interesting, as well as being a library. Sort of a SW fan film video store - new releases, categorized by parody, etc.

6. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    So, uh, hey . . . . are there any free video editing programs that will actually run with Vista? I tried ZS4, but it won't run, either with compatibility mode or as administrator.

I'm stymied here. [face_frustrated]

7. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    windows movie maker ;)

8. DarthKomar

DarthKomar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 22, 2007
    Feel free to add my Blender lightsabre tutorial to this.

The thread for it can be found here,
    http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films/b10015/28508544/p1/?22

9. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    why not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB1v5lKntVc

Might help someone looking in here.

10. kuatengineer

Apr 3, 2008
    I've read through the sticky's, and there's a TON of great info for making fan films, FX, etc. But, one thing that strikes me is that there isn't really a 'tutorial' on promoting a film.

Maybe something along these lines:

1. Layout timelines for pre-production, filming, and post-production.

2. Start a pre-production thread on TF.N. This will start the ball rolling for asking for help, advice, etc.

3. When you're at point A on your timeline, get a teaser put together, and put it up on YouTube, and post it your TF.N thread.

4. When you're at point B on your timeline, get a more lengthy trailer put up to start building buzz, and post to in the TF.N thread. At this point (?), maybe start up a web page or blog to give updates on the progress for the film.

5. Release time. Start a release thread at TF.N. Put the video up on YouTube, Vimeo, etc. (as many places as possible), and include info to your site in those places (if you have a site).

I know that's a shoddy example, but I think that something well thought-out by some of the veterans here could really help some of the newer film-makers that come through here and get tips for making better films. I just think they need more info for how to get their films seen.

11. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Just a suggestion but couldn't Truespace (www.caligari.com) be added to free software. To the best of my knowledge this free offer is not going to end anytime soon.

12. daveandtom

daveandtom Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2008

Thank you VERY helpful links

Tom

13. Mandalorian4

Mandalorian4 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2008
    Here's a link to blenderart.org.

http://www.blenderart.org/issues/

Issue 17 includes my lightsaber tutorial, as well as many other tutorials that people might find useful. Be sure to check out the other issues if you're interested in Blender, since they have many great tutorials.

14. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    pretty damn sweet. I also love how you'll show how to make my saber hilt :)

15. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    Booyah.

SB

16. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    [Post out of place]

17. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    I'm looking into getting a shotgun mic and boom but I'm not sure what's the best way to research both items and what's best.

Side-Note: I'll be getting mics for a DVX100B

18. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    for a boom, i just use a thin PVC pipe.
    and mics, you get what you pay for[face_peace]

19. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    How can I light for really really cheap.

20. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    White posterboard, shoplights with good CFLs, and mylar. Another option is just shooting outside and using mylar/white posterboard as a reflector when needed.

21. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Are the custom title fonts for the Star Wars crawls (SWcrawltitle and SWcrawlbody) still available on TFN? I'm putting the finishing touches on a Star Wars crawl tutorial for After Effects and I'm aware that a lot of people may not have access to the proper fonts (News Gothic and Univers Light Ultra Condensed) so I've said that the custom fonts are available on TFN. I just wanted to double check that.

22. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    How can I fashion a C-Stand for cheap? Like ... making my own "c-stand" without buying one. What could be a good substitute for one.

23. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    I'm confused about shooting 60i with my DVX100B. I'm reading in the manual and it says "For output and recording, the 24-frame-per-second signal is converted to 60-field-per-second interlaced using "advanced" conversion."

So does that mean when I shoot 24p and I'm shooting a slo-mo scene it will auto-convert to 60i?

24. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    If you are working on a project on separate computers ... what is the best way to compress files for one another to maintain quality?

25. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    PNG image sequences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.