main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Oh Hell.

You're right. Can we even be sure about the dates of events anymore? Has the information ever been stated in the films? By Lucasfilm? By the stars. What are we coming to. My brain is hurting right now. I'm just going to....

[​IMG]

Desha Dorvan, Malachi108 and dp4m like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The length of time between the movies wasn't an invention of the EU?

But I hope AOTC is actually like 20 years after TPM, and ROTS is only six months afterward. And then ANH is only seven years after ROTS. And then TESB is a decade later. And ROTJ is two days after TESB.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Tholothian that dies in Episode III is Stass Allie.

The novelizations of the movies do mention the time gaps in some cases, I think.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Could have sworn they said so in AOTC. Might be 18, might be 20 for ROTS to ANH.

5. OutlawTorn

OutlawTorn Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013
    [Taking darthzac's timeline cos it's the most recent one.]

What about those new novels: 'Tarkin', 'Heir to the Jedi" and 'Lords of the Sith'?

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Nah. Stass Allie her EU twin that found her way into the film to ride a motorcycle and get shot by clones

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there is some good news, I realized - with mention of the more... abrasive? movie purists throwing a party over the "death" of the LEU, I'm guessing they missed the implications of the NU. [face_laugh]

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Adi Gallia died in the comics only to die again in TCW.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Force Smuggler -- I mean, functionally, I think you're correct -- I think Anakin mentions not having seen Padme in ten years in AOTC, but realistically that's it. Does Anakin mention his age? Could they now make the age gap less weird?

I don't do this to be a jerk, but more to point out that GrandAdmiralJello is correct and many people aren't thinking fourth-dimensionally / critically about just how much we actually lose with this.

Darth Koo likes this.
  10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Oh, come on. Chill. The dating system hardly interferes with anything, and is widely accepted. As are a million other things that are technically "apocryphal" now but will still be used as if nothing happened.

BigAl6ft6 and THE EVIL CLIFFIE like this.
  11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The fact that it'd most definitely, surely, be worse than they ever saw the LU as being?
    Did it get retcon'd to be Stass Allie after TCW or was it always her?

Because I'd laugh my ass off if TCW managed to retcon the movies of all things.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Arawn_Fenn

As your now calling me a liar, I am not going to bother debating with you/backing up my claim etc as it's just not worth it.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The years between the movies were decided by Lucas and to panic over that is so silly I don't even

Starkeiller likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Almost certainly we won't know until they are out (if then!) but likely LOTS will take place in a single-year and Tarkin will take place over multiple time periods like all other books of that ilk.

OutlawTorn likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A five year age gap is weird?

In other words, you can't. It was a false claim ( basically trolling ) in the first place, and you know it.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was a different actress from the TPM one.

Mind you - didn't a different actor play Mas Amedda?

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A lot of people think that regarding TPM.

Calling the age gap "weird" in AOTC is just sexist, but I'm not assuming anyone is doing that here.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    We don't even know if Stass Allie even exists do we? What information is even knowable anymore? We don't know if novelization count? Why couldn't it be Adi Gallia? Because of TCW? Maul survived worse.

Also can the clone wars be more than 3 years?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    End of movie "cast list" maybe?

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Stass Allie exists considering Adi Gallia died before Episode III and we see Stass Allie die in Episode III.

21. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Like I said yesterday. the Logistics of the galaxy

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    YES!

TEN YEAR CLONE WAR HERE WE COME!

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    We can explain why Obi-Wan looks so damn old in Star Wars now too.

Ulicus likes this.
  24. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Even though it makes no difference that could make the Thrawn trilogy Clone Wars dates canon

credar, Ulicus and TrandoJedi like this.
  25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Guys, I think the ship has sailed on the "Maybe one day everyone else will loose interest in Star Wars and things will get back to the way they used to be" line of thought. Looking back, I don't think that's been a real possibility since the 80s. I too fell into that line of thought when ROTS ended.

But the fact is that Star Wars is just near universally popular at this point. For damned near everyone. Forever, probably. It'll wax and wane over the decades and centuries, but hoping that the outside world will at some point permanently stop wanting new Star Wars films or new takes on Star Wars films and that active development of the franchise/legend will shrink back down to a relative handful of people faithfully reading comics and novels...it just won't happen. You might as well expect people to stop telling or wanting stories about King Arthur or Superman or Sherlock Holmes. At some point the films themselves will fall into "Legends" status and we'll see remakes and immerse holographic experiences and who knows what else.

I think we'll see something along those lines eventually. Even if they limited the material covered to what is contained in the New Canon, that'd still be more than enough to fill a new edition by the time Episode VIII comes out. But I seriously doubt that anyone they got to write it wouldn't touch on "Legends" stuff; they've never prevented anyone from referencing Infinities or S-canon or N-canon or whatever it's been called before even if it didn't fit with what had already been established in the post-1991 EU or the post-Holocron EU or whatever. "The One Below" is still the definitive Yaddle story even though it was never intended to follow EU continuity and in fact contradicted it.

TC

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.