main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Game Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Oh, yes, darthramza, Wookieepedia is my friend :D

I might take it all too serious, I know, but to play in a timeframe I know nothing about, like the Yuuzhan Vong I only know from name and from Wookieepedia, is not exactly an easy step to take. Because in a game set in such a time period my character should know, well, his own time period me thinks.... :(

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I said it before, having too many rules looks like you need them. If you have too little it looks like you haven´t prepared.

Just get in what is needed and go ahead. There are certain sets of rules that are fine. One can always try those . . .

Titles: Might be intersting indeed.

As it reminds me of a certain underestimated complex strategy game I used to love . . .

REBELLION

There you played the Empire, too. Most of the time . . .

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    alrighty... here's what i've been working on for the past month. feel free to pick this apart as you will. i'm open to any advice and so forth.

The Forsaken

The Story

You stand in a beautiful building, arches and golden lighting, flowers and trees interwoven throughout the structure of the walls. An elf stands up to speak, and everyone in the crowd takes a seat to listen to what he has to say. You learn about a war in ages past, and the extinction of the fairies as a result. The schism of the races, and how humans forced those who could use the power to Mold reality to leave, and find somewhere else to live. How they forced every other race to leave with them, not wanting to be reminded of the horrors of the war. You learn how those other races, having just dealt with the ravages of such a massive war, decided to avoid another and left as ordered. You learn about when the ancient elves of Aeterna discovered the Gates that lead to Xyth.

You hear about how the different worlds have developed, the humans of Aeterna relying on technology, much of which has been stolen and incorporated into the kingdoms of Xyth. Aeterna has followed the laws of nature, Xyth has gone out of it's way to break them wherever possible.

You learn how those of Aeterna have completely forgotten about those who now live in Xyth, and how it is all part of their myths and legends. How they no longer believe in Molding, and how it makes them targets for those less scrupulous who need Thralls.

And then you learn how those born with the talent to Mold reality are being hunted. Those on Aeterna are dieing with no clue as to the powers they can wield. Many of those that are known Molders in Xyth are disappearing as well, and no one knows why. That is the purpose of this council of Molders. To discover what is happening.

[b]Welcome[/b]

Welcome to the worlds of Aeterna and Xyth, two worlds connected only through gates that Molders can activate and join the two worlds at very specific points. Generally these are used only by those who live on Xyth, but there are those few beings who have either decided to live in Aeterna instead of in the more supernatural Xyth or are members of the supernatural through being born with the ability to Mold.

[i]Aeterna:[/i] It is a world much like ours, technology on much the same level, different ethnicities, different continents, and a large computer and travel network that has connected the world to an unimagined capacity within the last twenty years. There do exist some holdover's of the supernatural world, vampires and elves mainly, providing certain vices that would not otherwise exist. These are considered outcasts to some degree by those who live on Xyth. But in general no one on Aeterna believes in anything but technology, science and what is natural. There are still books and scrolls locked in attics and libraries that contain hidden knowledge... for the right people.

[i]Xyth:[/i] The home of all the races that humanity forced to leave, and the humans who went with them. Molding is the name of the game, and while they have incorporated the technologies from Aeterna they do not understand them. In some cases they can barely keep them running, in others there have been some improvements, even if they are not understood. There is a council of Molders, to keep things organized and an updated list of those who can use Life Force. This is for both Aeterna and Xyth, and any known Molders on Aeterna have come through to Xyth at least and been introduced to this world.

[hr]

[b]Molder and Life Force Usage[/b]

Those who can Mold reality draw upon the life force of humans. Any human. For some reason no other species has been found to have a soul that lends itself to this usage. So as a result of this some have taken humans as slaves, others humans are members of the community and seen as people rather than merely resources. This is only in Xyth, as Aeterna as a whole does not believe in Molding or any of the ?fantastical? beings that only exist in myth. As such those who use powe

4. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    *Claps hands together*

The Story

This is okay, but after reading the entire post I found that it raised more questions, and lacked answers. I'm sure these questions will be answered later on, but it left me wondering a couple of things.

-How did the humans win a war where their souls was the ultimate power source?
    -How can Aeterna be so focused on technology, yet still follow nature? That bit confused me.
    -It says that the other races avoided each other, then went to the same place to live?
    -Where did Xyth come from?

It explains the storyline, but these are just some common sense questions that puzzled me.

The Welcome

My only problem with the Aeterna world is what I stated earlier. The Xyth world and the connection is where it falls apart a bit. I'm going to assume that only very experienced Molders can open "The Gates" because I can see a child molder right now opening a gate on top of the Empire State Building. What I'm saying is, how do they know where they are going to end up when they open the gates? And you said at specific points, which suggests that it might not be the same place, or types of places, over and over again. So, like I said, only experienced Molders should be able to open the gates. Also, this is just a question from me, but are the Council of Molders the guys who are stealing technology from Aeterna?

The nature of Xyth is ambiguous. What does it look like? Do the Council of Molders have all the power? Should there not have been war between the races that live there? How long ago was this huge War? Because the part about scrolls being in the attic makes no sense. If humans have really forgotten about this war, one would assume that it predates written history. I'm nitpicking here, so don't worry about these questions. Just that there are some inconsistencies about these worlds. But overall, I see where you are going with it.

Molding and Life Force Usage

-Can a human bend their own Life Force?
    -How long does it take a human to grow their life force back?

This section is too long. All you need is the first example and I'm sure people would be able to figure it out. You said it yourself, sometimes people are going to come to you or maybe during combat situations you can just post how much force they used. Also, this part could use some glamour. Maybe not bold, though, for obvious reasons.

Most people copy/paste character sheets and that is going to be kind of messy once they take into account how many times you interrupted it with HUGE BOLD TEXT.:p Here, I made this example.

Name:
    Race: (Human, Dwarf or Elf)
    Home Plane: (Aeternal/Xyth)
    --- Hair: (Color Style)
    --- Eyes:
    --- Height:
    --- Weight:
    --- Clothing:
    --- Distinguishing Marks: (If any)

Personality: (Can be left blank if so choose, and develop the character as you go)
    Molder: (Yes/No)

Equipment
    --- Weapons: (Pick two)
    --- Other: (General stuff you keep on person, or can have access to.) Pick three

Skills: (What?re you good at?) Pick three

Bio:

Do not post section
    GM Notes: (What do you want your character to do? What are your characters goals?)

Molders Only

Willing or Forced Bond:
    How many bonds?:
    Who are the bonds?:

Focus: (What aspect of Molding use have you focused on and can do spectacular things with? Can be fire/heat, ice/cold, air, force, ETC. Imagination is the limit here. Obscure ones will likely be asked for some clarification.)

Minor Focus: (What other aspect have you spent some time focusing on? Can do more than basic actions.)

The Rules

This section is way too long and alot of common sense stuff. Also, there has to be a wider option of race/species. Or else it should be called the great Dwarf V. Humans. Unless all the players have to be from Aeterna, th

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    hope the clapping means you like it.;)

The Story

This is okay, but after reading the entire post I found that it raised more questions, and lacked answers. I'm sure these questions will be answered later on, but it left me wondering a couple of things.

-How did the humans win a war where their souls was the ultimate power source?
    -How can Aeterna be so focused on technology, yet still follow nature? That bit confused me.
    -It says that the other races avoided each other, then went to the same place to live?
    -Where did Xyth come from?

It explains the storyline, but these are just some common sense questions that puzzled me.

some of this was already addressed, and will be changed. and there will be a history post that goes along with this for those that want more information. the way the humans won will be outlined in that, but the short of it is a lot of them lost their lives. and it wasn't just them against the molders, but it was everyone against the fairies. hence the fairie wars. every fairie was a molder, so they treated humans like cattle. many of them sacrificed their lives at the same time, which left the fairies suddenly weakened, so the other races were able to win the day. humans won the war with a sacrifice and by this point there were too few other molders to completely overcome the non-molding human's advantage. it would have been another massacre. fairies are now extinct as a result of this. will be covered in history post in more detail/ story type fashion.

two: should have been laws of nature, rather than magic. bad word choice on my part.

again, bad phrasing on my part. i meant that they decided to avoid another war, so they left. and at that point the molders were far fewer.

xyth was always there, it was just discovered along with the gates when the other races/few humans that went with them were forced to leave.

The Welcome

My only problem with the Aeterna world is what I stated earlier. The Xyth world and the connection is where it falls apart a bit. I'm going to assume that only very experienced Molders can open "The Gates" because I can see a child molder right now opening a gate on top of the Empire State Building. What I'm saying is, how do they know where they are going to end up when they open the gates? And you said at specific points, which suggests that it might not be the same place, or types of places, over and over again. So, like I said, only experienced Molders should be able to open the gates. Also, this is just a question from me, but are the Council of Molders the guys who are stealing technology from Aeterna?

The nature of Xyth is ambiguous. What does it look like? Do the Council of Molders have all the power? Should there not have been war between the races that live there? How long ago was this huge War? Because the part about scrolls being in the attic makes no sense. If humans have really forgotten about this war, one would assume that it predates written history. I'm nitpicking here, so don't worry about these questions. Just that there are some inconsistencies about these worlds. But overall, I see where you are going with it.

again, xyth was always there, which was what i meant to imply. as to the gates, they are an actual structure. they all open into an actual structure on the other side. they look completely natural, and can be a cave entrance, an arch of rock, or something like that. but no more of them can be made. and it doesn't have to be a terribly experienced molder to do this. i'll make that clearer. in a way, think of it as opening a door, if you need to.

the nature of xyth is ambiguous for now on purpose. i'll show what it looks like more as we go along, and in the history post i'll try to explain the land masses and types of terrain a bit more.

the council of molders is to help keep track of molders, and that's really it. they're trying to ensure that another war doesn't break out. they aren't really a governing body, as they have members from all of the different kingdoms. there are five in all. one is a dwarven/e

6. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It´s a good thin.g Pretty unique from what I know of the gengre. I won´t rush my comment on it, though. Something is not right for me, but I can´t point my finger on it irght now. Except in depth feedback later today or tomorrow.

7. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Wow, I love the concept, Trimaj, and especially the fact that it makes magic dark, all magic. Because no matter if it's used for good or evil, also the ones who want to do good will have to drain another person for it. And that has something evil to it.

And that means being someone who can Mold brings a very ethical dilemma to the player, which I personally love :)

Some things I was wondering about:

I'm assuming that the humans that went to Xyth were mostly those who can Mold? I'm assuming they would have been exiled with the other races, since the humans of Aeterna now hunt and kill those who can Mold (which I can fully understand after reading about their source of power [face_mischief] ). And why would a human have gone to Xyth otherwise, when a world with Molders seems very dangerous to me for humans?

Which brings me to my next question: why would a human agree to bond to a Molder? What's in it for them? How can a Molder convince humans to let him drain them? This would be important to know, I think, when you want to play a 'good' Molder, who doesn't enslave, but bond with willing humans. How do you get them to do that?

And how does thralling work? For when you want to play an evil Molder? Especially since you say there's no mental control. That assumes other kinds of violence that have to be used. And because of the ToS that is something which might be, eh... delicate.

I think it would help to have a section (however brief) about all the races. You say somewhere that some vampires still live on Aeterna and that's the only thing telling us there are vampires. Only from your answer to blu do I understand that vampires and werewolves aren't changed humans here, but two races of their own. This also makes me think that they are different from the vampires and werewolves as they are normally used in stories, which I think a player should know, especially those who play someone from Xyth.

Minor points really, bottom line is that I would SO jump on this and try to get in! =D=

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    thanks fins. i'll begin cleaning up some of the other stuff, but wait til i hear back from you to re-post.

Wow, I love the concept, Trimaj, and especially the fact that it makes magic dark, all magic. Because no matter if it's used for good or evil, also the ones who want to do good will have to drain another person for it. And that has something evil to it.

And that means being someone who can Mold brings a very ethical dilemma to the player, which I personally love :)

it's an idea i've been toying around with for quite some time now, actually. i thought that c.s. friedman had done it in her magister trilogy, that is currently being written, but she did it distinctly different. so i kinda have to credit her for the idea, but this really isn't anything like what she did.

also this is a world i've been wanting to create so i can write a few books, and i think that turning it into a game will help me flesh things out a lot before i go that route.

Some things I was wondering about:

I'm assuming that the humans that went to Xyth were mostly those who can Mold? I'm assuming they would have been exiled with the other races, since the humans of Aeterna now hunt and kill those who can Mold (which I can fully understand after reading about their source of power [face_mischief] ). And why would a human have gone to Xyth otherwise, when a world with Molders seems very dangerous to me for humans?

good question. it wasn't just the humans that could mold that were sent, but all of their families that could be found as well. it's passed down by blood, and while it may skip some generations, it's those bloodlines that they wanted gone. so anyone that was a blood relative of a human molder got sent away as well. this resulted in a larger group of humans than would have gone otherwise. as well as those who go willingly for a sense of adventure, or thought that molding could be used in a GOOD fashion. because everyone knows that the person who's bonded isn't signing a death pact. they MIGHT die if the need is great enough, but in reality they are trading some periods of weakness for the greater good, and in xyth the people who are bonded are very highly respected individuals. so it has it's perks. also they are guaranteed to be protected because someone who has a bonded is looking to have only one person their whole life to draw upon, and generally they become very close friends and in some cases a lot more than that.

*looks up* bit more detail than i meant to go into, but hope that helps.

Which brings me to my next question: why would a human agree to bond to a Molder? What's in it for them? How can a Molder convince humans to let him drain them? This would be important to know, I think, when you want to play a 'good' Molder, who doesn't enslave, but bond with willing humans. How do you get them to do that?

well, the real key of that is that the draining isn't permanent. unless they go to far and kill the bonded/thrall, the bonded/thrall will recover. what i wrote above kinda covers this as well, i think.

And how does thralling work? For when you want to play an evil Molder? Especially since you say there's no mental control. That assumes other kinds of violence that have to be used. And because of the ToS that is something which might be, eh... delicate.

i suppose i should probably explain exactly how a bond is created. basically you need about fifteen minutes alone with whoever you are bonding. they don't even need to be conscious for this to work either. basically the molder will send their mind into the person they're looking to bond and create a link between the two. if it's a willing bond there won't be any defenses in the way that will weaken said link, so it's inherently stronger but as of right now no one know's how to have more than one bonded at a time. thralls would be forced to have that link created. so basically you knock someone out, and then keep them locked away somewhere safe so that they can't cause you trouble. you can even have them sedated on a constant basis, s

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay I have given it some thought. I haven´t read the ongoing discussion, for it would influence me. But here are my comments.

1. Setting

Excellent. It is an interesting world, unique and loads of potential for storeis. Besides the main plot surrounding the vanishing of molders, there is room for plenty of personal drama easy to see. I like the dark aspect of "using lifeforce" and I love the element of the "other side". I had immediately three characters in mind. Which means it´s inspiring, by any means.

2. Details

Some things are left unspoken. With some it is okay, with others not so much. Molding should be defined more clearly. As should the bonds be and how many one can have. The races and their relation to one another would be useful.

I also found it strange that so little conflict seems to exist in Xyth. Everybody got a council seat? No wars among races or rivalry?

3. Things that seem to be improvable

a. Humans of the other side

What makes them life there, if they are a ressource to the other races? And what makes them special? Because something should make them special. There should be a difference to normal humans. Maybe something developed over the years? Something inherent to the other world? I feel they are given to little to work with.

b. Vampires and Werewolves

Obviously made to be antagonists. But not of human origin. Therefore no curse of the wolf. No tragic undying existence of a once human being. that´s fine. It´s part of the unique approach. But it also makes them a little less dramatic. Maybe you can change them into something more related. The humanity lost in these creatures is what makes them so intimidating. If you don´t want to have a bite do it, why not have an illness (like Elder Scrolls) or even a curse that can manifest in all humans of Xyth? (would solve the problem of a. too.) I got ideas here, actually. If you´re interested PM me.

Otherwise, I´d assume you need to elobaroate on races. What are dwarves like? Are elvens the usual deal? Because I find it hard to imagine they are in a world like this. A short introduction to all races should be part of a second post by any means.

And why actually both? Are they needed?

c. Narration

The intro is broad but so full of ideas I don´t think you need any more defined story to hint at. It will be kick to find oneself integrated into that fantasy.

There are a lot of things you must decide on the topic how to play this, of course. The OP does not show ME how you plan to GM it, but it doesn´t have to. Yet I see a challenge in GMing this kind of magic. And whatever story is planned you will need to find a way to integrate the many, many view characters can have in this. You mentioned historic posts. Do you really wanna destroy the mystery so early on? Why not let people find out on themselves? And there is an extinct race . . . why not let them be shrouded in mystery? A mysterious aspect (one that is mysterious for them all) might be what is missing from the opening post. But if you got one, that would be fine I guess.

4. Things that need to be changed

Rules are too long. Some rules like No9 seem unecessary. Also I would give players more than two weeks. Even the best might miss two weeks. Or do it like LordT (if you miss for an extended time) and do not kill players who miss two weeks. Let them linger for another two. RL can do crazy things.

5. Players

How many? Is there a cap? this is good so legions could join. Are you prepared for this? What are you planning to do then.

That was my first thought. Very solid. Very solid, indeed.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    Okay I have given it some thought. I haven´t read the ongoing discussion, for it would influence me. But here are my comments.

would also like comments on the ongoing discussion as well, if you don't mind.

1. Setting

Excellent. It is an interesting world, unique and loads of potential for storeis. Besides the main plot surrounding the vanishing of molders, there is room for plenty of personal drama easy to see. I like the dark aspect of "using lifeforce" and I love the element of the "other side". I had immediately three characters in mind. Which means it´s inspiring, by any means.

glad to know it is inspiring. i've had this working in the back of my mind for a number of years now, as i said in another post.

2. Details

Some things are left unspoken. With some it is okay, with others not so much. Molding should be defined more clearly. As should the bonds be and how many one can have. The races and their relation to one another would be useful.

that is stuff i'm going to go over, definitely.

I also found it strange that so little conflict seems to exist in Xyth. Everybody got a council seat? No wars among races or rivalry?

i don't think i even pointed to there not being conflict in xyth. this is just the council of molders, they don't govern the entire land. not even close. there are at this point five kingdoms, and they do indeed have conflict and so forth. there are politics, and all of the hatreds and alliances that several thousand years can cause. i suppose i should make that more clear in some fashion, but all is not fine in the state of denmark. as it were.

3. Things that seem to be improvable

a. Humans of the other side

What makes them life there, if they are a resource to the other races? And what makes them special? Because something should make them special. There should be a difference to normal humans. Maybe something developed over the years? Something inherent to the other world? I feel they are given to little to work with.

some of this has been covered, but you're right. they do need to be slightly different than humans of aeterna, having been separated for so long. i'll sort that out.

b. Vampires and Werewolves

Obviously made to be antagonists. But not of human origin. Therefore no curse of the wolf. No tragic undying existence of a once human being. that´s fine. It´s part of the unique approach. But it also makes them a little less dramatic. Maybe you can change them into something more related. The humanity lost in these creatures is what makes them so intimidating. If you don´t want to have a bite do it, why not have an illness (like Elder Scrolls) or even a curse that can manifest in all humans of Xyth? (would solve the problem of a. too.) I got ideas here, actually. If you´re interested PM me.

Otherwise, I´d assume you need to elaborate on races. What are dwarves like? Are elvens the usual deal? Because I find it hard to imagine they are in a world like this. A short introduction to all races should be part of a second post by any means.

And why actually both? Are they needed?

actually, yes both are needed. and they are... slightly different from traditional. they CAN infect humans, dwarfs or elves, but unlike your traditional undead beasties they can also procreate in a more normal fashion, creating purebloods. that's been they're main means of expansion for several millenia actually. what they were originally has been lost to history, before the fairie wars.

and yes, will definitely be elaborating on them a bit. and no, dwarfs and elves have kinda evolved from their more traditional roles, considering how different things are now. again, will elaborate on that more.

also, they aren't necessarily the antagonists... they're a piece of the puzzle... as it were.

c. Narration

The intro is broad but so full of ideas I don´t think you need any more defined story to hint at. It will be kick to find oneself integrated into that fantasy.

hrrm... must think on this.

There are a lot of things you must decide on the topic how

11. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Of course I couldn't resist looking up those books and now I just have to read them... *sigh*

12. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Lack of pictures FTL.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    she's a good writer seremla. hope you enjoy them.

i don't do pictures nick. there will be a pair of maps, but i don't do pictures.

14. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    You not doing pictures FTL. I like pictures.

15. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Amazing maps, I might add. ;)

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry nick. just not my style.

on another note, they are indeed some very well done maps chuckles. i likes them.

17. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    I had an idea for a rather unique game which I recently submitted on the role playing forum. It's title is Core Founders: Drafting the Constitution of the Galactic Republic. Yet despite having designed the game I believe it would be more successful under the leadership of a more experienced Game Master. Knowing that most of the members of this guild met that criteria, I've decided to advertise the vacant GM position here. Please send me a private message if you are interested (or even if you simply have feedback on the design of the game).

18. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I've run into a bit of a problem with the game I posted awhile back, The Cleansing of the Nine Houses. The way the story needs to play out requires two separate Role Playing Systems, one is your regular PvP, the other is more like System Lords. I have experience with PvP systems, but I know next to nothing about fleet battles and system control. However, I do know that this is all on a much smaller scale than system lords, and as such the system needs to be revamped to reflect that. Like I said, I don't know enough about it to know what to change, or even how to run it. I could use some help.

Evil.

19. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    So you want to do a smaller System Lords-type game, but do not want to complete rip off SL?:confused:

I'm not understanding your exact problem, but here's some advice. If you want to implement two systems of RP in the game, you're going to need to have a very simple version of tactical strategy(Aka SL). Tactical Strategy games take up an enormous amount of time, so for your players to be able to play smooth and swiftly, I would say you go about it in a Civilization type way.

Have three main resources:
    -Credits
    -Materials
    -Science

Then have the military broken down how you like it.

Hope that helps.

-B-

20. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I was actually thinking about having two different threads for the two parts of the game, that way both systems can be used at the same time, this would effectively separate the two systems and make the game less confusing. It would also let people interact with each other more easily than having both in one thread, and allow people with advisory rolls participate in the battle as well.

Evil.

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    May I ask a simple question?

Is the strategic part needed? Because the canon outcome is set and any potential drama comes from the knowledge of what will come to pass and the interesting question how.

It´s a historic game.

Having some number heavy strategic element doesn´t add a lot to that. It is interesting in it´s own right, perhaps. But even then duels, decisions, pacts and player absence and things like that would probably unbalance it anyway. And it makes players very busy with this game. Making it far less attractive than an epic tale of the Tapani sector told in a usual way.

Battles also tend to be more impressive if the players got a feel for how they are and how it is to in the midst of it. But I don´t see the need or use to combine two systems like this. They could very well stand in each others way.

22. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I was just following someone else's suggestion, I'd really prefer it without the fleet battles.

The way the whole political system is set up, most of the story will take place on one world, as every house has a compound on the Throneworld.

Evil.

23. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, the game is up. :)

I decided to scratch the entire fleet battle system, I don't know enough about it, and I don't think the game needs it.

Evil.

24. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    I'm going to post a game I had been writing up for a long time, but have wondered how to "introduce" and properly explain how character creation would go

The Sons of Mandalore

?Come here children, and I will tell you a tale. This is not a tale of the days the children of Mandalore raised their arms to fight the armies of the Republic, and drove them to the brink of destruction. These weren?t the days we fought under the banner of Sith, and struck fear into the hearts of the Jedi. This isn?t a time when Mandalorians where rarer than an honest smuggler.

No, these not the tales of men or warriors. This is the story of when the heirs of Mandalore where nothing more than brats, nothing more than boys lost in the woods, without a purpose or a goal other than simply surviving another lousy, frakken day. The days we where without honor or a reason for simply existing. The days when our fathers woke up to, lived in, and slept to constant never ending disgrace.
    This is also a story of how boys became men. Of how the name Mandalorian came to mean something other than a name of a person who walked on this soil, of how Mandalorians became a real people, or how Mandalorian became a way of life.?
    ~ Mandalore, Boba Fett

In the year 10,151 BBY, Mandalore was just another planet on the Outer Rim, whose only remarkable feature was the only known planet to produce Mandalorian Iron, a rare and valuable material largely immune to any form of blaster fire and even to the power of a lightsaber. Even the knowledge of the Mandalorian people as harden warriors, wasn?t remarkable. Just another name, on a long list of races you might want to hire bounty hunters or mercenaries from. The tales of their past glories where exactly that, just stories, fables and fairy tales told to younglings to get them to fall asleep. Something that happened along time ago, and no applied to the modern galaxy at large.

Mandalorian culture, for the only time in its long history, was no longer a warrior culture. The ruling class and upper echelons society, where now a merchant and industrial class owing their success and influence to the production of and trade of Mandalorian Iron to the Galactic Republic and other major powers in the surrounding area. Even Clans, vassal families to the current Mandalore family, whose fiefdoms lay outside the planet Mandalore, were ruled by Guilds, councils of elders and distinguished members of their Clan, whose main purpose was train Mandalorians as nothing but as a police force, with bounty hunting and mercenary as a means of a side income. The nomadic, honorable warriors, had devolved now into nothing more than mere muscle, hired out to the highest bidder, for a totalitarian regime of corrupt bureaucrats and capitalists.

This was one of the greatest periods of strife in the Outer Rim, despite very little prolonged and organized warfare on any large scale. Instead growing and expanding, the Outer Rim was becoming contracted and concreting into semi isolated clusters. Major power players tried and failed for the most part, to exert their authority because of this. This caused dozen of wars to flare up dozen places at once in the Outer Rim, only to cool down a month later and then start all over a few months after that.
    One of the few significant things to rise out this period was the reemergence of the Mandalorian on the intergalactic scene.

~ The Men Who Pulled the Strings ~

This section would discuss the figures who are actually important in Mandalore and the near by sections, I.E the people the players would be fighting against, working for, and previous to this point in time affected their character lives ect

For Example

The Republic Forces

Jedi Master, Heidi Starblazer

For every 30 inhabited worlds in the entire Galaxy, there is one Jedi. If you where to consensus just the Outer Rim, that ratio shifts to a whopping 120 worlds for just one Jedi. With such a large lap between the outskirts of civilization and the center of galactic activity, decentralization is a large issue. Oversight by the normal powers that be, is i

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd like to take the floor next, if I may. With a game concept I don't intend to run myself, but was mildly interested in seeing created so I'll be practically giving it to whoever wants it. [face_laugh]

MiB - intriguing, and set during a nice and empty era. Good choice. I'll have more comments later. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.