main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Defy the Storm by Tessa Gratton and Justina Ireland

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 22, 2023.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I get this perspective to an extent.

While I think I enjoyed this more than you did (and certainly more than Eye of Darkness), I felt like I was missing a lot of links into the plot that meant the emotional beats didn't quite hit with me in the way the authors intended. Did I miss stuff in comics that was relevant? Or just too long since reading the last YA book? Not sure.

I'm almost finished it though and do enjoy it. But do agree a bit on the perspectives, although I'd layer that by saying shifting dynamics is the issue. Groups form, break and re-form and you lose track of who is with who, what their objectives are, and what's going on to an extent.

AusStig likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And finished it just in time.

This was an ambitious book but one which realised it's ambitions. A large cast spread across multiple locations for a set of criss crossing plots.

The Path of Contradictions sounds akin to Planet X and then there is the dessication that took out a moon in the same way the Nameless feed on the Jedi. There seems to be something beyond both Nihil and Nameless. Something had to create the Nameless eggs after all.

AusStig and devilinthedetails like this.
  3. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I think it went a bit too hard on the plot threads with a lot not being resolved but I guess we'll see where this goes.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it reads a bit differently for me, reading it so close to the next book being out.

5. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I finished it last week lol.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] I missed that =((entirely.

7. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    It's the post right above yours where I say I'm 'almost finished' four days ago. :p But fair enough.