main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Temptation of the Force by Tessa Gratton

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 14, 2024.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    And it'll come out!

2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    My guess is that Sith scientist(s) used the Echo Stone to create Planet X and maybe used Drengir's genetic material in the process, that is why the planet is a one big organism.

MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I just realized today that Star Wars books changed publishing houses last year. That explains why the Del Rey Wook page stopped being updated. And here I thought this whole time that the wook editor who had been updating that page lost interest.

Figured I would just put this here since this is the most current thread regarding Star Wars books.

4. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe Tears of the Nameless will deal with this storyline.

Dawud786 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Or in SWTOR when everyone teams up to fight Revan.

I would like to see a team up between the Jedi and some "ruthless allies", with the truth revealed at the end.
    @Foreign32567
    Oh so just a guess, I thought I might have missed something.
    Didn't they just confirm that the Nameless and blight are unconnected?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
  6. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2016
    But the new publishers are under the same umbrella (Random House). Del Rey is just an imprint thereof. And the same editor, @DarthInternous (Tom Hoeler), still works on the adult SW books. Tessa Gratton actually thanked him in the Acknowledgments.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah they said that that the people that worked at Del Rey for Star Wars are still working under this new name. Their office might even be the same location as it was before. So not sure if anything really changed. Perhaps how many books they do in a year might or how many are shipped out but the team that worked on it before is still intact.

Again I just noticed it because the Del Rey page stopped being updated on the Wook.

Lomer2012 likes this.
  8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Does not seem so, since blight is "homesick" (and the home is probably Planet X) and also controlled by the Ro's rods.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Ro says they aren't the same though

We shall see, the control rod does apparently affect them, might be planet X.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Wonder if Tears of the Nameless will already show the aftermath of Ro's proposal. Also hope that comics will show his "Jedi style" outfit from the end.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Literally nothing has changed other than the name. Same team, different logo essentially. Like when a sports team introduces a new jersey color.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
    AusStig and Lomer2012 like this.
  12. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I believe there's supposed to be a sequel to "The Blade". We should get our full payoff in it.

Finished this book this morning.

For most of the book I felt like Vernestra about Elzar - ugh. He's always felt childish and self absorbed. Reading his wallowing has been a chore for me. I finally feel like he's left that behind him and is a changed person after the Nameless battle. Here's hoping he continues to grow.

All I kept thinking at the end is Ro's pants must have been setting off smoke detectors with his lying. He can't stop the blight. What would he do if he lost the rod? He'd be nothing. I keep hoping Porter would see it in a video and be reminded about the rods that maybe Creighton mentioned them to him. Those would be something Reath should be able to research.

I'm missing Reath. He was such a huge character in Phase I and made great leaps in moving away from being a bookworm. I feel that sending him back into the books is wrong. Why would Yoda do that knowing there isn't anything in their archieves because he and Creighton (Phase II) agreed such knowledge could be dangerous to even add to the archives?

Vernestra should see thrrough Ro's lies. She saw him using the blight for his own purposes, not to stop it.

I loved finally getting to see my girl Avar back in full form. She was lucky Boolan had put metal on his Nameless and that was what she was hit with.

No resolution between Porter and Veiss was annoying.

I really love Xylan. I'd completely forgotten about his character until he was reintroduced in "Defy." He's so completely self serving and it's obvious he really wants Cair to try to help him to be a better man, but he just can't help himself.

My favorite random scene was Ember meeting Plinka on Naboo. I never knew that was a meet up I wanted to see. Hee hee.

I have a male Great Pyraneese, if I ever get a female of the same breed, I'm giving her the ridiculous name of Plinka. Lol.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finished reading this yesterday on my commute home from work. Would rate it a good but not great 4 out of 5 stars.

More detailed breakdown of thoughts below the spoiler tag:

The relationship between Avar and Elzar felt very well developed and compelling. It was nice to see their relationship take such a prominent role in an adult novel for the first time since Light of the Jedi. I think most fans of the Avar and Elzar pairing will appreciate that aspect of this book.

The friendship between Burry and Bell also stood out as a highlight to me. I've really come to care about this bond between them (I love the detail of Bell learning to speak Shyriwook to better communicate with Burry, and how much Burry genuinely appreciates that effort on Bell's part). Burry in particular gets some excellent development of his empathetic abilities and how they can be a powerful resource both in confronting the Nameless threat and potentially the blight as well. Especially if combined and amplified with Avar's abilities.

Ghirra Starros was probably a more interesting character to me in this than Marchion Ro, and I did enjoy her scene with Avon.

Avon continues to be a wonderful character for me. I just love her personality and the way she thinks. She has grown so much from Test of Courage as well. It's amazing.

The battle sequences were strong overall, and the blight to me emerged as the biggest threat more so than the previously mentioned Marchion Ro and even the Nameless.

The ending was a genuine cliffhanger.

All in all, I enjoyed my reading experience and look forward to the next installment!

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Unfortunately it looks like we may have to wait until late 2025 to get the Trials of the Jedi novel. The release dates for the junior novels and YA novel for wave 3 were released and one is April 2025 and the other is May 2025. I assume Trials of the Jedi will be the final book so it will likely be even after that.

Hopefully it's as soon as June 2025 but if I had to guess it will be somewhere around August to October 2025 as they will probably want to give people a chance to catch up on most things before the big finale is released.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
  15. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I also enjoyed the Bell/ Burry relationship. It feels very natural and it's nice seeing Burry treated as an equal, whereas in the Empire age, Wookies are "things."

Poor Bell. He's got massive PTSD. The Jedi really need in depth counseling whenever they encounter either the Dregnir or the Nameless.

I adore Avon also. She's great with her scientific detachment. I loved her using the greatest weapon of all that mother/ daughters have in their arsenol against her mother...guilt.

16. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    With Marchion unwillingly admitting that instead of his family he would've like to see Mari' ghost and Vernestra actually having contact with her, wonder if it will contribute to his defeat by her hand.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    MercenaryAce and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Halfway through now, much better than every adult novel since Light of the Jedi.

theorenwulf and AusStig like this.
  18. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Okay, incredibly specific rant time, but I have had it up to here with Disney era Star Wars characters espousing speeches about hope! I overall like this book so far, but just like every other High Republic book there’s a speech by someone every other scene about my hope, our hope, we must hope, Marchion Ro wants to kill the hope, hope is all we have, etc etc. Like, I get the original film is retroactively “A New Hope”, I totally understand that, and the words “help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!” are uttered, but it’s like the creatives at Lucasfilm have oddly latched onto that phrase like it’s the driving force of the entire saga ever since Rogue One. Star Wars in my opinion is about transformation: how does a farm boy become a space wizard? A noble Jedi Knight becomes Darth Vader? A republic turns into an Empire? A loner outlaw smuggler becomes a hero married to a princess? But like, outside of Leia’s appeal to Obi-Wan, the characters never speak like they’re downtrodden victims, they just blow up the enemy and get **** done. It’s all over the new films and comics and stuff but just really egregious here.

HOPE POWERS THE DEATH STAR… OF OUR DREAMS!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Golbolco and AusStig like this.
  19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Is that girl still making YouTube videos? She was entertaining for a little while until it started becoming obvious that pretty much all her sketch videos were almost exactly alike.

20. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    She probably just made a million dollars off of her viral 4 hour Galaxy’s Edge video

21. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Let's hope she didn't make that much (and yes I myself just said it). YouTubers like her being able to get those kinds of views is one of the things that is wrong with social media. The days of needing to have talent in order to get a large following are done.

These days you just need to be able to attract teenagers.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
  22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Jenny n is good people. She does deep duves that warrent the length. It's not like she's grifting on hate and doing sensationalist videos

IG_2000 likes this.
  23. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Avar’s speech to Elzar after he turns her down encapsulates everything I don’t like about the writing in The High Republic. I’m paraphrasing to the best of my memory here from the audiobook:

“Elzar, love is natural! It is a beautiful thing I have seen spread from planet to planet, just like HOPE! Love is limitless, just as the force, and the force burns inside me!” Goes on for another three minutes. It’s like the writing in Star Trek Picard!

24. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree, Avar gave too much freedom to her inner Katara

25. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    A reason I loved listening to the Ascendancy audiobooks last year. An endless 60 hours of weirdos speaking in technobabble and military jargon with lips twitching and grimacing and not a single monologue about the virtue of friendship. God bless Timothy Zahn.