main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Indian Jones Thread (starring Harrington Fode) (Now Discussing The Dale of Density)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 27, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    No matter how I try to juggle the words, this can't be made into a coherent sentence that makes sense.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That raises the main problem, relying on an 80 year old to carry an action movie & be convincing.
    More of young Indy fighting Nazis is good, the audience believes it & it fits with what we've seen before. Watching geriatric Indy dressing like he's still in the 30s and trying to recapture the glory days ends up kinda sad & ultimately unconvincing.
    And that was the problem from the start, who at LFL thought investing £300million into a movie about octogenarian Indiana Jones was going to be financially successful?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I actually found old Ford to be the most refreshing thing about the film. Nice to see old protagonists in big movies for a change - I wish the ST had gone that route, placing the OT4 at the very center of the narrative, instead of using them as old props for the new kids to play off of. So sick of teens and young adults finding their egos or whatever.

That said, much of the rest of Dale of Destiny wasn’t great. But it’s not because of Indy’s age. It’s because there wasn’t much of an attempt to actually grapple with issues related to older people. It’s just old Indy being young Indy, mostly. And that’s disappointing.

Sarge likes this.
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    It wasn't even just a train. The movie started at the castle/base, where Indy is brought into the room, and his friend is in the woods. Then the bomb drops, Indy falls through the floor, is recaptured, then brought on to a train, his friend is also captured, and then we get the 'chase' through the train. More bombs, More planes. Mini-confrontation with baddie. Bridge explodes.

Personally. It does feel long. A lot happens in whatever movie timespan that takes place.

Same. I was totally okay with Old Ford. Even when he looks old and weaker looking.

Sarge and TiniTinyTony like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Indy's voice in the flashbacks is fine, it was raining, he had a cold that day

Sarge and TiniTinyTony like this.
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I kinda feel like the age thing actually is front and center the whole schtick here is he feels times passed by and he’s got nothing left so he wants to die of sepsis in Ancient Greece rather then go home.

Also Mutt totally died trying to get high off of chemical defoliants.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They probably set out with a little over $200m, but then pandemic costs, etc. Even at $250m they could have hoped to come in under what KOTCS did and still be profitable. Though they were likely more conservative than that.

8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Not many people know this, but they used to make successful Indiana Jones movies without spending *any* money on CGI. Crazy right?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes. The Indiana Jones films are famous for their absence of special effects.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;)

But, more seriously- we could always see the seams in the FX even back then. So any minor flaws in the younger Indy CGI really isn’t much different (and is, arguably, superior).

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and TiniTinyTony like this.
  10. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Lol, well you have to admit, the horses look *way* more realistic back then.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sallah’s brother took all the real ones, so they had no choice. ;)

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wasn't CGI supposed to make movies cheaper Vs building big sets & expensive animatronics/puppets?

The OT 4 had their story, in the OT, Just like Obi Wan & Yoda had theirs in the PT.
    The function of those characters, as is the case in most legacy sequels, should be to pass the torch to a new generation (and therefore the newer fans who will sustain the franchise into the future) & not to go on one last ride just to give a nostalgia hit to the adult fans who liked them decades ago.
    Ghostbusters Afterlife understood that well.

That was something seemingly set up at the end of Crystal Skull & then abandoned in DoD.

Which was hardly at all. He still beats up people half his age and drives a tuk tuk around like he's a boy racer. No problem with him being a hero, but he should really have been put with someone who could do that kind of work for him while he plays more of the role Connery did in Last Crusade

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Old Indy was the strongest element of the story, but is a melancholy kind of drama that arguably works best in quieter, lower-budget moments, which arguably clashes with the fun adventure of the series, and sort of undercuts the film's attempts at both.

Sarge likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I feel like we could have had a more detailed exploration of Indy coming to terms with his age & limitations like we saw in Logan, but having 4 writers messed that up.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I said nothing of the sort. I said place the OT4 at the center of the narrative, and explore the nature of aging in the heroic life, as opposed to giving us a cheap nostalgia hit by having the old hero simply act like the young one. And this doesn't preclude a passing of the baton to the younger generation. That can happen too. But there's no law that sequels have to be about the next generation. They can also be about how the previous generation is dealing with change, and the drama inherent in that. That could be interesting and refreshing, as it was in Top Gun: Maverick, and in Mangold's Logan.
    The mistake was in attempting to do both. Mangold should have stuck to the bittersweet drama of Indy getting older. The series has already done the fun, pulpy adventure thing. Why not do something else? What's the point of sequels if they're just rehashing what the previous films did?
    This. See, we agree.

Sarge and Watcherwithin like this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They were at the centre of the narrative, each of them has a pivotal role in each movie mentoring Rey (though less so for Leia than it should have been due to Fisher's passing). TLJ is very much about Luke having to embrace his own legend and being the symbol of hope he should always have been instead of hiding away from the galaxy.
    It wasn't necessarily done very well, but at least Luke wasn't running around doing heroic things as if he's half his age the way Ford did in DoD.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Sallah: I wish I could go on one last adventure. Nothing would make me happier.
    Indy: K, bye.
    Sallah: Hey remember I had 9 kids in 1936 when you visited me in Cairo. It's 33 year later, and here are two more. They're super smart in history....Indy, come back, I mean, give them hell!

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm not going to complain about previous special effects. CG is fine. Special effects in Indy movies is fine. Even cheesy ones. Its' just that trying recreate the human face as realistic as possible is really hard. CG or not. Our brains have 150,000 years of baked-in evolution to recognize what a human fake should look like. And so when it doesn't, our brains (some people anyway) goes on alert and screams "FAKE, NOPE NOPE NOPE."

What I really don't like in this current film is the over abundance of CG (especially when it didn't even need it) and an aesthetic and looks too shiny, perfectly lit, and over-processed at times.

Bor Mullet and The2ndQuest like this.