main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The it's a loooooong story thread: Support group for epic fan fic writers - poll 6/14 (red)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    *raises hand* I do! :( And this is where me doing other stories at the same time isn't the best idea because I then have trouble getting my brain back into the characters etc... in the first fic. :(

I'm going to do it as a "stand alone" anyway, because I'm really excited about the ideas I'm having, and it might be beneficial to take a step or two away from my Nahli-wan fic. :p (or should that be Obi-lia? ;))

sg

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Just as long as no one pronounces 'Leia' like 'lia'... eww, that's just... wrong.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    solojones wrote:

See? You should listen to me now. Always.

<Persephone's stupid henchmen from "Matrix: Reloaded"> ::Duuuuh:: Yeeeeeees miiistresss. </Persephone's stupid henchmen from "Matrix: Reloaded">

I should be writing right now, but I'm so tired I want to cry. :_|

Also, it's after midnight here . . . that means I'm 32. :D

I mean, :_|

4. Blade_Of_Elu

Blade_Of_Elu Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2003
    Happy birthday ophelia. ;)

And I should be writing right now as well...but yeah, too tired and lazy at the moment. :p

5. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Guess I should check in, as I've been working on DOTF since March 2003 (that's actually POSTING it, not counting all the time I spent on it before starting to write). When writing epics, I always feel like Sysiphus (sp?) with the hard posts..rolling the boulder up the hill and then having to do it all over again with the next series of posts ad infinitum. :D

-Tim

6. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    You know, I was thinking about making an image for people who've managed to enter the "100,000 word club," and a picture of sisyphus was high on my list of possible images to use. :p

7. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Happy birthday, ophelia, and hi, Tim! :)

I finally managed to write my next installment of Lost and Found, (I'm too lazy to put a link to it now), after getting behind last week.

Pre-planning week at school is unusually busy, and then I caught conjunctiviitis and my eyes just wouldn't let me read or write much, they were itching, stinging, and watering so badly. Thank goodness they're well now! :)

So you're student-teaching, ophelia? Good luck and I hope it goes it well! I loved student teaching, but I was lucky to have a wonderful teaching mentor, and a great group of kids.

Happy writing, everyone!

Kristeh

8. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    ophelia: You know, I was thinking about making an image for people who've managed to enter the "100,000 word club," and a picture of sisyphus was high on my list of possible images to use.

An appropriate one to use. I'll be joing that club soon enough with my fic, currently at 91k

9. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Hello everyone. [shy grin] I guess I also belong here as well? I have been working on a handful of long stories over the past six months and only two have been 'published' on the boards, in a manner of speaking. ;) We epic writers really need support. spiritgurl, this thread is really a wonderful idea. :D

10. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    You know, I was thinking about making an image for people who've managed to enter the "100,000 word club," and a picture of sisyphus was high on my list of possible images to use. >>

LOL! Though I always picture him, as a fanfic writer, instead of rolling the stone up the *same* hill, as much as he is facing a series of hills that stretches to the horizon. :D

-Tim

11. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Thanks, kristeh, and so far, so good. :) My birthday gift to myself is a digital recorder, which will theoretically let me write in the car and then allow me to transcribe the sound file with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I justified the expense by telling myself it would improve my productivity. We'll see if I'm totally lying to myself.

Also:

[image=http://members.aol.com/opheliamac/sisyphus100.gif]

Use it if you want, although I do ask that you copy it and upload it to your server space if you possibly can, rather than linking to it directly.

12. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    NIIICE, Ophelia!

:D

-Tim

13. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
  14. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Well... I've finaly written a bit more of my story that begins a semi-major plot twist. I don't want to give anthing away, but I will say it lays a foundation for the majority of the story.

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    no fair, oph! I need that for my apartment right now, since my wrist hurts so much.

16. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I got Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7 off of eBay for $70 . . . which is a lot less than the sticker price. :D The accuracy isn't 100%, so you have to proofread carefully, but overall the program's pretty impressive. It scans all your documents to get a sense of your writing style, so it knows to capitalize the "F" when I say, "the Force."

One of these days I'm going to write a paper on physics or something and that little quirk is going to get annoying, but until then, it's pretty neat. So far, I haven't gotten it to learn to capitalize the "V" in "Vengeance," though, which is my Sith's name, for people who haven't seen my story. I should have given him a non-real-word name, like "Agghbargghhleglaahhbbhhaggh." Yeah.

Oh--I also use a Gyration cordless optical mouse, which you just kind of hold in the air like a remote control. It helps a lot if you get "mouse elbow." Their web site is here: www.gyration.com.

17. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    Man, I AM old school compared to you guys...I still write on PAPER first...

:D

-Tim

18. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I've done that. Then I read what I've written on paper into my speech recognition program, and it transcribes it for me. :p

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here tonight. It seems everyone else has gone on vacation and stuff . . . I feel like such a loser. :_|

If I really work at it tonight, I also may finish chapter 9 . . . again. I've been writing it for approximately forever. "I've had supply problems of every kind . . ."

Feh.

"Master Qui-Gon, sir, I'm tired!" :_|

19. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on here tonight. It seems everyone else has gone on vacation and stuff . . . I feel like such a loser. >>

Hey, I work in retail, so I've gotta be in town this weekend. Have to work tomorrow, actually.

-Tim

20. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    That image feels so true Tim! I've been writing my story on the boards now for 8 months :eek: and I am only 2/3rds through. It does feel like pushing the rock up and then it becomes easy for a little while as the words start flowing and then there is the next post and....pushing again!

Great picture Ophelia and happy <belated> birthday! 30's are the best! :D

21. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Thank you, tangled_sphere! :D

I have also just finished the *second* first draft of chapter 9. (Don't ask.) It's only taken me 3 weeks, and somehow it's picked up an extra 5,273 words.

My current word count is at 89,159. This will probably drop as I re-edit chapter 9 (again), since in a first draft I usually throw everything I've got at the wall, just to see what sticks. (Last time it was the cat, and some old cottage cheese from the refigerator . . .)

In theory, however, I need 11,000 more words to break the 100,000 mark. Since my chapters tend to run somewhere around 20,000 words, that ought to happen about midway through chapter 10, or approximately 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through the story.

You know, back in the day, I was taught that it's almost impossible to sell a novel over 100,000 words, since publishers just don't want to commit to slaughtering that many trees for a new author.

I'm afraid this one will run 150,000 before I'm done.

I am become Stephen King, waster of words . . . :(

Edit: Okay, maybe I'm wrong about that. I just estimated the wordcount of a random novel on my shelf (count number of words per line times the number of lines per page, times the number of pages) and it came out at about 125,000 words. Maybe I was told that a novel has to be *at least* 100,000 words . . . :p Anyway, it was the upper or lower limit of something.

Man, it was a long time ago! Whaddaya want?! :p

22. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Man, I AM old school compared to you guys...I still write on PAPER first...

Don't feel bad, I still write by hand to hammer out the basic idea for any part of the story and then once I have finally typed it up I play arround with some of the minor details. I find this works best for me.

23. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Okay I've been debating whether or not to do an index for this thread, and how to do it. So here's what I've decided to do (inspired by Ophelia's image :)). In the first post, I will index stories in the 100,000 Word Club. In other words, once you have written a story (or story series) and reached 100,000 words total (complete or not), you have earned the right to have that story part of the index. It's meant as sort of an incentive for epic writers to keep going. ;)

I am trusting people to be honest since it would be sort of a pain for me to go and check the word count. The way to check is to put your story in Microsoft Word and use the word count feature that's under Tools. If you have an eligible story and would like to be listed please send the following information via PM to me.

Title: [ link=URL of story]Name of Story[/link ]
    (Please note the spaces before and after "link". Leave them in when you send your PM as this makes things MUCH easier for me. ;) )
    Author:
    Genre:
    Summary: (100 words or less)

also, please indicate in the subject of the PM which index this is for to keep me from getting confused. 8-}

sg

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I was so scared that LYBJ wouldn't make it to the 100,000 word mark, but it clocked in at 107360 exactly. Phew!

25. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    added your story to the club DI. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.