main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Wow, this tops the list of things I never thought I'd see on the internet

Pax Sithus and lovelikewinter like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why's that, Solo? Surely every character has fans?

3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Well fan is short for fanatic - "enthusiast, zealot, bigot, hothead, militant, devotee refer to persons showing more than ordinary support for, adherence to, or interest in a cause, point of view, or activity."

So technically you're not wrong ;)

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I never minded Jar Jar in TPM, but the Clone Wars made me actually like him. Bombad Jedi is actually one of my favourite episodes, despite Jar Jar's starring role. I think he works best when he's around people who find him slightly annoing, like Mace Windu and Padme.

Plus, he always has the best sketches on Robot Chicken: "Meesa all Sparkly!"

5. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    *scratched head.

He was a kind Gungan. About all I can muster.

6. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I find him nessesary for the development of the prequels. Take a look at Harry potter, TCW t.v. series, even "Regular Show" on cartoon network. They all have one thing in common: They start out light and humorous only to get darker and more serious/complex as the series develops. I also find jar jar's appearence sad and defeated at Padme's funeral to be a dark contrast to his behavior in TPM. He also seems guilty/reaponsible for allowing an evil dictator to become to power and and in turn contribute to his longtime friend (Padme's) death.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He demonstrates that an individual changes over time. That's good.

Ewok Poet and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Gotta disagree a little bit here--I don't think Jar Jar is representative of his people at all, at least as far as his personality and clumsiness are concerned. Remember, the rest of the Gungans were so annoyed by Jar Jar that they wound up banishing him.

That's why I find it so odd when people try to argue that Jar Jar is supposed to be representative of some or other ethnic/racial group here on Earth. Jar Jar isn't even representative of his own people within the movie.

9. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Jar Jar Binks...

I don't hate or despise the character, but I do not find him to be a necessary character. I'd say I appreciate him more than the opposite. His appearance, personality, and clumsiness were all unique. Kind of like a character we haven't seen in Star Wars before. Since I have not much else to say, Jar Jar was appreciated on my end.

TOASTEROVEN and Andy Wylde like this.
  10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Its interesting. I think Disney would be wise to revisit the PT and the OT and show more of characters outside of the Big 6. A series based on the issues between the Naboo and Gungans pre TPM would be very cool to see. Not 6 seasons worth, but maybe animated film, show why Boss Nas came to power or why he kicked Jar Jar out.

Commander Krix likes this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    @CoolyFett

That would be very cool, a Naboo Prequel of sorts!!!!!!!!!:)

CoolyFett likes this.
  12. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I was trying to give him slack. I hate the character, to be honest, and I was just trying to give myself some type of reason to not be completely ignorant in this thread, but I can't do it.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  13. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Good point although I am as surprised as @ Solo.
    Outside of these boards I have seen nothing but loathing for the character and not much love for the prequels.
    I am not a fan but the fact that this thread exists is why I love this forum.

CoolyFett i agree that the prequels needed more Tarkin. A stand alone movie could be awesome as he is such a great character. Would love to see what made him so.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Read Tarkin.

Pax Sithus and mes520 like this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I never had a problem with the character or the CGI, I find him quite funny.

Jo Lucas and Cryogenic like this.
  16. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    For whatever reason I really enjoy his buffoonery now. I wish he'd been featured more prominently in both AOTC and ROTS.

It's really hard to believe I just typed that since, even as a staunch supporter of the PT, I never enjoyed his contributions, but since the years have gone by my sensibilities have changed and I actually very much enjoy his old-fashioned slapstick.

Cyreides and Cryogenic like this.
  17. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Jedi Knight Fett thanks. Did not know of this novel. Will definitely pick up a copy.

Lando Griffin likes this.
  18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Jar jar Binks the sidekick of sidekicks. Of Qui Gon Jinns sidekicks in TPM. Jar
    Jar was most unique

Cryogenic likes this.
  19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    One other way to look at Jar Jar (there are many)...

Jar Jar is the "clumsy frog" that Anakin is, dreaming to become a prince.

But Anakin fails at becoming a prince, except making himself into a dark one.

Padme dies, the Republic is destroyed from within, his former Jedi family annihilated, and Anakin is left a physical and moral wreck.

The dream went wrong and became a nightmare. And Jar Jar faded from view.

20. Forceghostyoda

Forceghostyoda Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2015
    He was the most stupid character ever and then he gives emergency power to the chancellor, good job jar jar

21. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I've always thought he was amusing and entertaining from day one and he serves a good model for young children that no matter how clumsy or awkward you are, you can still achieve great things. At the end of the day, Jar Jar is really the hero of the movie. Without him, Qui-Gon wouldn't have got to Theed and the Gungans and Naboo would not have come together.

22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I've always liked him, he gets way too much hate. He's one of my favorite characters in TPM and I wish he had a more crucial role in the other two. Especially ROTS.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    In 'Supply Lines' he was hilarious. i just rewatched it and the 'art' sequence was the best.

"Meesa look at Nothing!"

MarcJordan likes this.
  24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I firmly agree. The gungans werent weak, im always curious what if Tarpals joined Qui gon and Obi Wan instead of Jar Jar.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This is true indeed it was Jar Jar that was the accept ion.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.