main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. SoUncivilized

SoUncivilized Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2019
    Just finished a video about this very subject.

But I have to say, even though I've made the pro-Jar Jar argument before to friends and whoever, going through the movie for clips and actually seeing it laid out in front of me on a timeline for a week or two made me realize a) how rich the character's story arc actually is and b) how much nuance Best and ILM brought to his portrayal.

The instinct is to compare Jar Jar to, like, Ruby Rhod or something. But there are a number of scenes in the movie where he drops out of "comic relief" mode and into something completely different. And even in comic relief mode he usually has an extremely clear POV, feeling about what is going on, etc etc. A number of little grace notes throughout -- for instance, I really like the way he talks to Anakin as a fellow outsider in the Coruscant sequence.

(I also laughed more at the comic relief bits while making this than I usually do, which may be because I was seeing them more in light of his character and less of just "antics."

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Good to See my mans Jar Jar Binks still getting love. I hope Ahmed Best is feeling ok this holiday. I know he has been through a lot.

BadCane likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    AWESOME!!!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread/Most Improved RYLer/SPAM star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    I think knowing his fate after ROTJ has recontectualized his character for me

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Valiowk

Valiowk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I recently rewatched TPM on a flight after not finding any other (non-SW) films on the airline's entertainment system that appealed sufficiently to me. It's been some time since I last rewatched SW; in the time in-between, I've engaged in a few writing projects that helped me see better some of the criticism of Lucas' writing. I mention this because now I better understand why some people find Jar Jar annoying. At the same time, however, this is clearly acknowledged in TPM. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Padme all do not think Jar Jar is the cutest character in the galaxy. What makes their interaction with Jar Jar different from that of the response of some reviewers of TPM, however, is that they are kind enough to treat someone who might slightly get on their nerves gently. They understand that he is a decent being who fundamentally hasn't done anything for which one would call a person out, and they treat him with the due degree of respect that you would treat such a person. I wonder how many of us would do the same were we in their place, or were a similar situation to happen in real life. So I feel that Jar Jar's presence in the films says a lot about the character of those with whom he interacts, and I'm glad he's there for that reason.