main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC Grilled Cheese Taste Test

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Gruyere works well with a strongly smoked meat like leg ham or proscuitto - alone, toasted, less so.

Goo-dah.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    thanks!

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    You people make me sick. A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). These posts consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this thread is called "grilled cheese taste test" is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese. I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled "melts" because that is not a ****ing grilled cheese. I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. ****, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" and it's been driving me insane. The moment i saw this thread this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own thread just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.

COMPNOR, TCF-1138 , Diggy and 7 others like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    so far I've only made grilled cheese sandwiches. Combining the EMMentaLer with Gruyere was the most radical thing I've done.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Soon to be the smash hit anime of the fall season.

a star war and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Medium Cheddar Cheese is for wusses.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you mean a baguette?

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    There's a place in Manchester where I love to stop and eat called Northern Soul. It sells nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches, but they're so good.

[​IMG]

Slapping some medium cheddar between two slices of bread is pure peasantry in comparison.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I had a grilled pepper jack cheese sandwich tonight for dinner.

Dagobahsystem and Rylo Ken like this.
  10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I can suggest something more radical!

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

12. a star war

May 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So sick of you fancy northerners with your la-di-da ways

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    We're not so bad, we're not above mingling with you riff-raff southerners. I still visit my family in Berkshire every now and again, even if I'm careful not to carry loose money and keep the car doors locked at all times.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Opted for a fifty-fifty blend of Havarti and Maple Smoked Cheddar last night, tossed with Basil before being melted into my Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Best grilled cheese I've made at home.

Darth Punk and Rylo Ken like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @a star war what do you value more; the sanctity of life, or the sanctity of a grilled cheese sandwich?

@Chewgumma do you ever go to The Trove? I hear it's not just the best bread in mancland, but in the entire country.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    just a note on technique. I brought all the cheese up to room temperature and grated it except for the fontina, which was too creamy for grating. I've never made a grilled cheese that way before, but it made for more consistent melting. Also I bought salted butter for the first time ever, which makes a real difference.

SuperWatto and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Medium cheddar with pesto.

Or as I call it "god's jizz"

20. a star war

May 4, 2016
    O blind fool! O quivering simpleton! Can you not see that the two are inextricable?

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think this is one for @epic .

He should be drunk enough riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....now.

tom likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Generally I like to mix cheeses, preferably 2-3 with a mix of cow's milk and sheep's milk (and with truffles in the sheep's milk cheese often). Butter both sides of the bread, make it in a cast iron pan, put the cheese on at the end on low heat and cover the pan to get it steamed-melty. Flip onto other side of bread, xfer to cutting board, cut diagonally.

The only addition I'd consider besides cheese, bread, and butter is a bacon-onion jam (inside) or swapping out the butter with an artichoke/garlic cream (with an oil base).

DarthIntegral likes this.
  23. a star war

May 4, 2016
    There's a lot to hate about this post but this really takes the tuna.

heels1785 and tom like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'd honestly never heard of the place before now. I took a quick google and it looks and sounds absolutely heavenly.

I don't typically venture into the Levenshulme area of Manchester, but I might make an exception this weekend to give The Trove a try. If I do, I'll report back to let you know whether what you heard was true, or filthy dirty lies.

Diggy likes this.