main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Path. (Now you too can actually pretend with slightly more accuracy that you're a Jedi!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    I don't think the translators received any of that text. The black lines cover things up pretty well.

I haven't checked to see if there are any partial words visible and, if so, whether those partial words are translated, but I'm thinking not. Can anybody make them out?

Here's some info I just posted about the trade edition:
    http://geekosity.blogspot.com/2011/09/star-wars-jedi-path-trade-edition-on.html

Dan

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The odd word or two that I can make out look like English in the UK edition. The message at the top reads These pages were already defaced when the book came into my possession. I don't know who tried to suppress the prophecy, but it was most likely the Emperor.
    Luke.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    thx for the replies and the pic of the blacked out pages is interesting, thx Dan!

Can anybody with a non-english version post a pic of the same page to crosscheck it? Would be interesting if f.e. german copy got blacked out english text in i.

Until I got enough money to convince Dan to reveal the prophecy to me, I need every tidbit I can get :p

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Just received my copy of the new edition. It'll be fun to finally read this properly (I've not wanted to handle my Vault edition too much).

I didn't realise the new version was still going to be this flashy though. :)

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This was pretty good. However, the nitpicker in me found a few errors in the UK trade edition. In each case, they were in the 'handwritten' comments. Each comment was in Anakin's handwriting but was signed by Ahsoka. (These might have been posted before but I'm not going back to look.) Sections are:

Page 134 - Forbidden Force Techniques
    Page 142 - Enlisting New Members
    Page 151 - Threats to Jedi Teachings

On pages 134 and 151, the mistaken comment was followed by one from Ahsoka.

Any proofreading jobs vacant? :p

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Do not assume anything, Lukie-Wan. Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot."

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It just now occurred to me that Luke must have known about Ahsoka...I'm guessing this was probably pointed out earlier, but I wonder if this book was the first time he'd heard of his father's padawan...

TC

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Considering Chewie worked with Ahsoka in the Season 3 finale, there's a chance Chewie told Luke about her at some point. When, however, isn't clear.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Unfortunately stuff like that falls into nebulous territory. Before the prequels and more recent stuff, most information about Jedi was hard to find. Even finding old friends of Jedi Knights used to be a tad difficult as most were either killed or went into hiding over the years.

Now we have stuff like Artoo-Detoo and Chewbacca spending a good deal of time with Jedi. It was an awkwardly inserted plot in the DNT about Luke finally finding out about Artoo having some old holograms of his parents (I do wish Artoo had gotten his memory wiped along with Threepio, instead of Artoo just sitting on that info for decades). Not to mention Luke wondering about how the old Jedi had acted... and now Chewie could've told him at least several stories about running into Jedi Knights (not to mention Yoda himself).

Luke knowing or not knowing about Ahsoka isn't that big a deal as probably a lot of info was lost or destroyed, especially given Vader's issues with his old life. Whether there are any mentions of her in old records would probably be relate to the same reason why Anakin never mentioned her once in RotS. :p

Oh, hadn't realized the new version had come out, must try to find a copy at my local bookstore soon, I've been too afraid of stuff falling out of my Vault copy to read through it much.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

As for the inconvenience of OT EU feeling a bit weird given R2, Chewie etc. as you mentioned:

I think it is less weird if we view it like this:

R2 had good reasons not to spill the beans to Luke. The Old Jedi were flawed and he was the first of the NEW Jedi as Yoda said. Even Yoda in between ROtS and TESB rethought the Jedi role etc. and learned from QuiGon like Obi Wan did. They easily could have used their time with R2 to instruct him to not reveal all to Luke so he would not recreate the flaws of old.
    Especially it would be cool I think if R2 deliberately helped Luke to find some OLD lore of the TOTJ/KOTOR era rather than Prequel Era lore he knew about, so that Luke could start anew but not with the old flaws. Thinking about that, that would make it more believable and easier to iron out the OT vs. Prequel EU inconsistencies and R2s and Chewies role.

Now as for Chewie, he met Yoda and few other Jedi, sure, but what can he really tell Luke? Same as R2 he watched them fail... and while I bet he told Luke some stuff, what Luke wanted most was not names or look I met him too, but scrolls, holocrons etc. and about those Chewie lacked knowledge, or if pointing to a public location he knew, the Emperor would have picked it clean long before Luke. Chewie had no Jedi secrets, just public knowledge.
    Also Chewie was most of the time around Han and would rather not talk about beloved Jedi friends and the like shocking Han with lots of unknown details from Chewies past, whereas Han was bitching about Jedi religions before Chewie could object. I bet Chewie kept the talk with Luke for some private time when Han was busy with Leia elsewhere :p

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its not Jedi related, but there was a Clone Wars comic arc involving secret hyperspace lanes known only to the Wookiees (not sure if that was the first mention of those secret routes or not), and then the Essential Atlas mentioned Chewie had a copy and shared them with Han (leading to a Dash quote attributing Han's speed records to secret Wookiee routes, not sure I like that or how accurate it is). Then it also mentions that Chewie gave Leia a copy of those routes eventually for the Rebel Alliance to use (in between ESB and RotJ, I think, so Han wasn't available at the time). That's a good way to incorporate Chewie playing a relatively big role in RotS (by big I mean he's identifiable and shows up several times) into newer materials, just wish other sources could use post-prequel Chewie and Artoo logically like that (there's this one comic where Yoda talks to Artoo on Dagobah while Luke is off training, that was awesome too).

Picked up a trade copy today, loving it. I'm tempted to try and squint to see more parts of the Chosen One Prophecy... but considering its not like they actually printed the words first and then printed the black marks over it, that would be pointless. The original torn out pages actually had a few clear words, its just still impossible to make out. I'm still almost afraid where else Lucasfilm will end up using the prophecy instead of in this awesome book (most likely the continuity annoyance TCW than anywhere else unfortunately). And yeah, odd how some new typos have popped up- basically Anakin's signature being replaced by Ahsoka's a few times, as mentioned above. I don't mind a few typos, since there are a ton of details in this book, just wonder why those were altered at all (not like they referenced now missing items) when the original didn't have those mistakes.

Its still a joy to read through this book, and now I don't have to worry about that coin or this map or that braid falling out while flipping through pages. And all the tidbits are still fun (just too bad most of Dooku's and Anakin's comments are kind of ominous, although its funny that apparently Thame, Dooku and Qui-gon are all smashball fans, since most of Dooku's other comments in the book are in the vein of "I'm too refined for this and the Jedi should do things my way", too bad the rest of the book's owners couldn't comment on smashball, although looks like it sorta died down by Ahsoka's time).

There was a Sith version of this book announced, right? I think I read the news, but it kind of slipped my mind since. But the Jedi Path still reminds one of my favorite Star Wars books ever, and I certainly don't mind buying two copies (now to store the Vault copy and read the new version occasionally).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.