main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Path. (Now you too can actually pretend with slightly more accuracy that you're a Jedi!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    HAHA! I always knew that Thame Cerulian had good taste.

I was on the fence about this book, but after watching several walkthroughs and reading all the reviews, it's shot to the top of my Christmas list! One thing I really appreciate is that it makse some things that always bothered me about the NJO make sense. Around that time period, Luke suddenly knew a bunch of things about the Old Jedi Order that he'd never spoke about before. Obviously the authors could now incorporate knowledge from the prequels, but in universe it seemed odd. But when you consider that Luke is meant to find this book just prior to the NJO, all that newfound information now makes total sense! I really appreciate that. :)

2. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Even if it DID end up being a goof, you solved one of the myriad headaches I'd had with TFU. Some of my fellow Wookieepedians had equated the lightsaber-resistant qualities of the Felucians' bone swords with Vodo-Siosk Bass' power to channel the Force into everyday objects and make them lightsaber-resistant (which he used to duel Exar Kun using a mere walking stick, until Kun overpowered him). This always really irked me, since the Jedi as of the PT are supposedly at the height of their power, but they don't seem to have this power anymore. But the Felucians seemingly hit upon it by sheer coincidence.

But you've just basically flat-out precluded the inclusion of the bone swords in the Force Weapon article as any more than some over-eager editors, and saved me from at least ONE of my many TFU-related headaches... I'm already going to get this for Christmas, but if I wasn't already sold, you'd have sold me for that alone. I intensely dislike TFU and its sequel for all the continuity mishaps they've introduced (arguably second only to TCW in that regard, and not by much!), so anything that solves even ONE of them is absolute GOLD in my book!

Dan, I really owe you one- you truly ARE the MAN. =D=

3. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Except The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide already stated that Felucian Shamans could force enhance their weapons.

4. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    :oops:

Well, guess I was celebrating prematurely...

Anyways, in other news, going to be getting a bit of a windfall- going to be doing some work for the guy who donated all the fossil replicas to the campus. He wants me and another student I know, a friend of mine, to help clean up after his display at the Greater Detroit Gem, Mineral, Fossil and Jewelry Show this Sunday. He's going to be paying me 10 bucks an hour for an 8 hour day, but he only wants me to work half of that. So I'll be getting $80 for only working 3 to 4 hours, and I get to enjoy the show for the first half of the day. Went down to the 2008 show, there was all sorts of great stuff, it's a real wonderland for the kind of guy like me who's interested in rocks and fossils of all kinds.

But, you wouldn't believe what my FIRST thought was about what I wanted to spend the money on. See, I was worried about how I was going to convince the parents to get this. We just had to get a $500 water heater last week, so the budget's gonna be tight this year. And now I don't even have to wait for Christmas for this if I don't want to, 'cause it'll be my own money. WOO! [face_dancing]

5. RX-27

RX-27 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2010
    Gosh I would punch a monkey to get my hands on this book. Sadly I don't think I can justify spending sixty bucks on a book. :(

Hopefully my library gets a hold of it . Can't wait for it either way.

6. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Considering the knick-knacks that come with the book, I don't think you can get it in a library.

7. masterthon88

masterthon88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2009
    totally awesome book and case. have not read the entire book but really enjoy everything so far. really good job dan!!!

8. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    But you can justify punching a monkey?! :eek:

Dan

9. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
  10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Just got my copy today, and it is AWESOME! Probably the best Star Wars product I've read since the Atlas, and arguably better than it because of all the comments. Luke's comments are some of my favorite, being the last, chronologically speaking, and especially being from a happier time period, specifically pre-Vong, back when building a Jedi Order seemed important, rather than just copying most of the prequel era order through time skips. Not to mention Dooku and Anakin's slightly chilling comments (they were always flawed, but still a bit heavy on arrogance, but oh well, its definitely funny), and Obi-wan's ironic notes (don't ever want to face too many lightsabers at once, nor ever want to sever multiple limbs...).

All the items inside are also great, I'm just afraid that every time I pick up the book something will fall out. Hm, now where to store that huge box.

11. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    One question I have GOT to ask while waiting for Sunday to roll around so I can earn the requisite fundage for this- and this one goes out to anyone who already has the book: did Dan earn more accolades by clearing up my long-standing headache over how the kark lightwhips work?

If so, then Dan Wallace totally fixed a total continuity fenderbender going back to the Marvel days. Since no two sources that have tried to detail how a lightwhip achieves a flexible 'blade' have, to my knowledge, managed to agree (Lumiya's seemingly being unique in that it had solid lashes and pure energy lashes, whereas others had only pure energy lashes, leaving the question how the kark are they flexible- then other sources saying the energy lash has a solid core acting as a flexible emitter, but leaving the question of how the kark Lumiya could pull the stunt that let her beat Luke on Kintooine hanging in the wind (she shut off the energy lash and caused Luke to fall off-balance since he was pulling against nothing), etc.).

It's been driving me nuts for about a year and a half now. If this book finally puts that to rest with a definitive answer on that... by the Force, this thing would be, like the best friggin' book EVER!

12. LONEWOLF09

LONEWOLF09 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    The whole part with the lightwhip from page 64 is, "The lightwhip is the most exotic of all weapons that use the crystal energy technology. Instead of having a rigid blade, the lightwhip's energy tendril is flexible and can be wielded to entangle or cut. Unless you are already an expert with traditional whips, you should not even attempt to hold a lightwhip." Luke has a comment about it with it being, "Lumiya's lightwhip seems based on this, though she had one with multiple strands."

I am not sure if that it is going to satisfy you as an answer to your thing with the lightwhips, but the book is still pretty awesome.

13. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Ah, well- it was going to be more the icing ON the icing on the cake. Since the vault is the icing on the book's cake, as it were. I can live without it. ;)

14. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I kind of sidestepped that, both because there wasn't a focus on the technical details in that section and also because I'm really not sure what the technical details would be! I agree that we've never seen anything before that justifies a flexible energy tendril and it's worth exploring in more detail. This didn't seem to be the place for that, but were I to do an "essential guide to lightsabers" or something I'd be willing to plunge into the techie abyss!

Dan

15. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks for the reply on that one- as I said, I've spent way too much time poring over every source lightwhips have appeared in trying to figure out just what makes them work, and I can't get all of them to agree with one another on some very important details (some sources claim one thing, some another, and most often these claims are mutually exclusive). Just hearing that there's even a very minor possibility that might get cleared up someday... that makes me happy.

Knowing that there are authors out there who take the time to reply to fan concerns like my lightwhip-caused headaches in the past? That makes me even happier. You totally rock. ;)

16. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    A cool Jedi Path pic from New York Comic-Con -- big thanks to the New York Jedi:

[image=http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/danwall88/NewYorkJediSaluteNYCC.jpg]

Dan

17. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    I know you can't just say it an make it canon but did you have any plans on releasing the species and genders of the authors? I know some are given but is any information ever enough?

18. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I finally got this, and HECK YES! Dan, you really outdid yourself here. From Luke's opinion on how "merciful" it is to end a duel with cho mai to Obi-Wan being displeased that Qui-Gon's a little too fond of the Jedi mind trick, you just hit all the right buttons for me, not just in the main text, but in the notes jotted down in the margins, too.

Kudos, and GREAT work! =D=

19. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Qui-Gon must not have paid close enough attention when he had the book, since it says that mind tricks don't work on Toydarians. [face_shame_on_you]

20. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    The whole section about the Yinchorri does not make any sense. It is explicitly stated in the Yinchorri arc in the Republic comics that the Republic only recently made contact with the Yinchorri. That is why the Jedi do not consider them a threat. There is no way how Jedi masters some 900 years ago could have known about them.

21. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    The Squibs who found this amongst the remains of Byss - could they be the same trio Han and Leia met in Tatooine Ghost - Slight, Grees, and Emala?

22. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    We see the whips acting like solid whips (affected by gravity and air resistance), so obviously there is a solid portion in the "blades" as well. Sprinklings of particles that get retracted into the handle when the lightwhip is deactivated, I reckon.

23. Flimsi

Flimsi Jedi Padawan

Oct 21, 2010
    I have a question and I'm not sure anyone can answer but here goes: I was longing for TJP on amazon when I noticed it said, The Jedi Path [Vault Edition]. Is a non-Vault edition ever coming out? I mean just the book? Or is there really meant to be only one edition?

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    My understanding is they hadn't decided whether to release a non-Vault edition, and were partly waiting to see how sales of the Vault edition went before making that decision.

25. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I wonder if the new book on lightsabers and "weapons of the force" by Pablo Hildago coming out in December will shed some light on this subject matter.....I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.