main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Let's make it better official thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Uilmuteiz, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I agree with alot of people in thinking that they should utilize the siza and capacity of the RCA Dome, unfortunately, according to StarWarsCelebration.com(if I shouldn't advertise that or anything, please feel free to change/erase it, and my apologies in advance): "....and to mitigate long lines common to such conventions, Celebration III will occupy the entire convention center except for the RCA Dome."

Why not rent the RCA Dome as well? It would make sense, with the size and scale of everything that we all hope will go on. Well, I can't really blame them. Renting the Dome is more than likely very, very expensive. And, that would most likely translate into higher ticket cost. And I have a feeling this one is going to be a pricey ticket already(but worth it ;) ) Also, since it is home to the Colts, there would more than likey be numerous amounts of rules and regulations about being down on the feild area. Not to mention making sure people don't wander into some back corner of the Dome and hurting themselves, or getting lost, etc.
    So, while it might be nice, possibly even a great idea, unless something drasticly spectacular happens, I don't think it will come to pass. I guess we'll just have to invent Force Patience and make do.

P.S. - Thanks DL. I do what I can to help out my fellow fans. And if it works, hey, all the better :)

2. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    WOW!!
    Amen !! Every thing you just said is right on the money. You took all the words right out of my mouth. Everything you wrote was perfect. Having been to C1 & C2 myself. I do hope C3 is the best. Your ideas were great. The the web site idea.

Thanks,
    Nice job!
    TK

3. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Wizards,dont know anything about conv.so they didnt know how to do CII maybe GenCon will do better,but I
    doubt it.

4. Bib_Un-Fortuna

Bib_Un-Fortuna Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2004
    Well GenCon (the company organizing C3) has just announced the media guests for Gencon Indy, which is in the same building as C3. David Carradine is the highlight, with a lot of B stars attending. If anyone is going to this con, let us know how they handle everything - what we have to look forward to in 356 days.

5. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i would have been here sooner to post but i was in the wrong line . the guy in front of me and the girl behind me didnt know what they were in line for [face_devil]

my 2 cents

the vender room should have star wars stuff . last time it was whoever would pay . so we had a guy with t-shirts with wolves , and harley stuff , and anything not star wars . there was a guy selling knives and swords . and i think it was ITT TECH . i dont need to see a booth from them at celebration . there was a couple of scalpers selling the same toys i had at home for a mint . i had all of the episode toys already

lets see the toys before we can buy them . C1 was cool cos we got to see them and yean for them for 3 days , then we could buy them . C2 i already had some of the toys when i drove from denver to indy to look at what i bought a week earler .

i agree that staff should know what they are doing . my aluminum light saber is not a pipe bomb . my plastic blaster isnt a nuke . i wouldnt travel that far and spend that much money just to blow up the most importanat event in my life so far .

real member perks . yes please ! i didnt much care for getting roped into spending the extra money for my girlfriends pass so we could sit in a big empty room with no food or drink . i was expecting celebs hanging out , pinball machines , food , sodas , music . the members only area was the only thing there with no line for a reason . it sucked . i didnt expect anything for free , but at least hot dogs and water for 5 bucks would have been cool .

food would be good . i think there was one little stand type thing outside the exibitor room . some crappy , expensive , still frozen bagel dogs or something .

i think gen con will do us right . dont they do this for a living ? if they do screw it up , i think we should demand lucas give us their heads !

6. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    Hi everyone.
    Pardon my ignorance, I wasn't at CI or CII, but I'm considering going to CIII.

I'm just wondering about this whole business of check-in/entry to the event and the convention figure. I don't really know since I wasn't there but I've been reading and I'm marvelling at the picture that's forming in my mind (admittedly from several semi-vague descriptions and allusions to the legendary line) of how badly it sounds like they bungled it. How was the entry really handled? You had to go to some store or something to get the con figure? Please clarify for the noob here!

To me I just assumed it would be like any rock concert. One line of security workers pat you down. If you're wearing anything offensive/questionable you're told to get rid of it or directed to somewhere you can stash/check it for the duration. Next.
    People who order passes online have them mailed to them beforehand. After being patted down someone scans your ticket and you're in. That's it.
    Stuff a program/map and the con figure in a plastic bag. One more line of people behind the ticket scanners hands you your bag and initials your ticket so if you try to pull crap they can see clearly who gave you your figure.

I've seen some huge line ups and yet I've never waited more than about 20 minutes once doors get opened for entry to any concert, even from the back of the line. Even factoring in that there were more than 25000 people at CII... it shouldn't have taken as many hours as some say it did to get everyone inside. What exactly were they doing that made it that bad?

7. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    I agree with Mokitty...they should not make us wait outside for EVER!! I will be wearing my Darth vader costume...roughly 20 extra pounds of it, and I don't want to be sweating just standing in line to get in. I know there will be lots of people there, but I hope the great people at Gen Con will be able to figure out the best way to get people inside as quickly as possible. After all, they DO want the fans to buy stuff, right?? However, one of the good things about standing in line, is the fact that you have a chance to mingle with other SW fans from all over the world! That is something I am looking forward to!!

8. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    You'll be mingling with the Frenchman, for sure ;)

9. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    I have read some complaints on the exclusive figure and have to partially agree.

It just has to be kept in mind that at C2 people were supposed to be limited to 2 figure and we know people and vendors still got around this limitation.

10. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    True! My dad and I ended up with 10, that we split between friends afterwards... They need to be more organized about it next time, everybody should get their fig!

11. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I got mine. But i was there at 5:30 in the morning standing in line.

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    My dad and I ended up with 10
    Even if those friends were AT C2...you guys were part of the problem! They should have been in line with everyone else, or just forget about it.

Simple solution...BARCODE on the back of badge, scan it...get 2 figures. Otherwise, SOL!

13. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    True, but at the same time we didn't buy the figures to resell them or anything like that (I was really pissed off to see them on the dealers shelves before even getting in the store's line!!).I only asked to buy A figure, then they asked me how many... Can you seriously tell me that you would have bought only one? Well, I didn't, got some for my friends. The store organisation was a disaster!! When I was inside waiting in line, some of the people in charge of one of the stands announced that people wanting to buy the figure only could get out of the line and get the fig .... I've seen people leaving with boxes full of them :(
    Barcode sounds like a cool idea Krash!

14. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Can you seriously tell me that you would have bought only one?
    Yes, I would have! Unless you count buying a second for my sister (who would be standing right next to me at the time...instead of seperate checks.)

15. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Well, you have a stronger resistance to the dark side of collecting than I do then :)
    On a more serious note, I am very hopefull they'll have a better system in place.

16. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    They can even go low-tech/cost effiecent and invest in a hole punch. I know some people won't like having holes in their badges...no figure for them! :)

17. Bib_Un-Fortuna

Bib_Un-Fortuna Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2004
    Barcodes would be simpler. And . . . vendors must have the same restrictions. I was so angry that there were stalls in the vendor area that had huge amounts of the figure by the end of the first day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.