main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Making of a Rebel (J/J, Enemy Lines tie-in, vignettes) - Author replies 03/13/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    That was great, TKL :) Very well written and you did a great job of getting into Jag's head and exploring the conflict he faced during DJ (Look out for McEwok, he will tell you that no such conflict existed [face_mischief]) Briaun seems like a fun character, would fit in nicely with Wyn. I also thought you did a wonderful job writing the relationship between mother and son. :)

Great post :D

2. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Shinar
    Nice pic of Sidra. We missed that ball of fluff! [face_love]

Preggers:
    OH...so not fair that the Beta got Firsties...
    Personally, I think Lexie should recuse himself from these races? :p [face_mischief]

The thing about being one of the last to review is that it?s difficult to come up with original comments. All the good parts (which is everything really) have been commented on. But I will give it the old college try. ;)

Jagged Fel was beginning to think years of good judgment had flown out the viewport and left him a blundering fool. He hadn?t truly considered the implications of this decision. Now doubt riddled every breath he took. His insides were tied in knots. His head pounded like a thousand glaciers were calving inside.

I love this beginning. It sets up Jag?s frame of mind at this point in time perfectly. He was really starting to act somewhat uncharacteristically for him, and I imagine that would have baffled him and concerned him to the point where the stress would have a physical manifestation. Am I right in thinking that the last line was inspired by your trip this summer to the American version of Csilla? [face_mischief] :cool: [face_love]

The Hapans had been uniformly if silently outraged when Jag had been given preferential treatment and brought to the head of line.

That would have only added to the pressure Jag was feeling at the moment. I remember being surprised when TK placed Jag, a new acquaintance, at the head of her Hapan fleet, but in the deceitful and devious world of the Hapans, she recognized that Jag was a trustworthy and honorable character who would be loyal to her and not betray her the way even her own Hapan family would do.

Meanings within meanings. Wisdom worthy of a queen. Jag managed a small smile. ?I do not fear getting involved. To fight for something is the noblest endeavor anyone can pursue.?

That would be Jag's thinking to a tee. And shows the budding kinship and understanding between him and the Queen Mother.

?Enter your coordinates and communications variables here. Then push the green transmit button. When you are finished, type Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?. After that, your information will be permanently swiped.?

I noticed the code too, because the Commander has done this trick before. ;) But geez, if a certain writer *cough*McEwok*cough* gets a whiff of that, he?ll have a Tenel Ka/Jaina fic written in no time. [face_laugh] :p

She leaned in, flashing a rare toothy grin. ?You should depart before the holomags get wind, and our affair is splashed on every cover.?

Of course she was joking, but Jag was still shocked. Tenel Ka had always been so?grim.

[face_laugh] It takes one to know one. :p

There's not much more I can say that hasn't already been expressed by many. :p Needless to say, I agree with my fellow fans, this is a wonderful viggie and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. [:D] Great characterizations all around. Jag was spot on as usual. :) I loved the banter between the Jag and his sister; Briaun was great as the teenage sibling. And intuitive-mom Syal?s comment at the end was priceless!

Can?t wait for more. :D

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Just want to make sure that you've sent your story info off to the index. :)

4. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Lol, that's awesome!

Of course that's Han Solo's daughter!!

5. jaynasolofel

jaynasolofel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2003
    TKeira_Lea: The Making of a Rebel

Only one part of him felt quiet and sure. His heart.
    The heart is good, let's go with that.

?My brains got the better of my instincts, I?m afraid.?
    UT-OH, pesky brains!

He could only turn his green eyes back to the rising sun and wonder
    GREEN, GREEN, GREEN. Every time! Yeah!

Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?.
    Another AAAWWW added to the chorus!

?Once you leave here, make your departure with all due haste. In asking for privacy from the guards, I?ve indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition.?
    A good thing TK was new to her position, she might have asked for a baby in exchange for use of the comm.

OOPS, sorry for that Dark Nest Depression-induced comment.

Static morphed to a raven-haired, green-eyed girl. Jag?s sister wasn?t even paying attention to the screen. ?Fel hell, at your service.?
    Nice!

A wave of relief flooded his emotions, then receded only to be replaced by a drowning sense of guilt. He had wanted to tell his father. ?That?s not a good idea. This isn't something I can discuss with the General."
    ?Can?t or won?t, Jagged Fel??
    ?Won?t.?

At least he is honest!

Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?
    Busted!

Yeah, TMoaR is off and running, woo-hoo.

Great start.

'night
    JaY

6. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    As it has already been said, all the comments I thought have, well, already been said! [face_tired]

So cute! And just what I needed these days! =D= I especially loved this...

Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?

[face_laugh] Where did that spit take emoticon go? o_O

7. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    Auntie! How's it goin' lady?

Sorry to everyone if I took all the good ideas...great minds must think a like.

but on to more important things:

TKL

What's your update schedule on this. You know and my need to manage my expectations.
    Or, and what was that thread you directed us to for the Loose Wires teaser? The 'Pull Your Reader's Chain' board? Where was the teaser...and more importantly...when is it going up?

The Pregnant Goose

8. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    UPDATE SCHEDULE

Every two weeks on Fridays, until I'm done. If you reread the books we've got lots of days and blooming romance to cover [face_love]

9. pregnantpadme

Oct 25, 2004

[face_laugh]

If I had the attention span to read a book I would never have found my way to the boards in the first place. I can only handle 500 words at a time!

10. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Please tell me you've read Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand...

11. pregnantpadme

Oct 25, 2004
    *screaming laughing*

Off course!

But after a power read through I marked all the Jag&Jaina passages and read them until the pages crumbled in my hands...then I found you TKL...and life was right again!

12. jaynasolofel

Jul 26, 2003
    OK, so I don't feel so twisted to read the end of every book first, then skip around for specific characters and then go back and read from the beginning... that is another thing I love about fanfic, usually you can't read the end first.

Hey TKL how about posting the end of Healing Hearts first? Haahhnn? Whadayatink? hee-hee

Mesa bitsa punchy-a, tonightsa!

JaY

13. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    No endings, ladies, but there is a clue about HH over at the FFRF. It's in a post I made this evening. No go look!

I actually didn't bring my tattered editions of the Allston's RD and RS to get signed because I was embarrassed. When I told him that he chuckled and said those were his favorite books to sign. :oops: Next time I'm bringing those ratty books and they're getting signed by da' man!

14. jaynasolofel

Jul 26, 2003
    Ma'am, yes ma'am!

Thanks for the hint, I think. I just hope I don't try to pick it apart over and over again, searching, searching! [Yoda voice paraphrase]Always looking to the future you are...[/Yoda voice paraphrase]

JaY

15. double_blade

double_blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    damnit...i need closure...extreme closure

nice vig...i liek tie-ins like these...cuz the feel canon and a quick easy reads
    hope there r more to come

16. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Even tough someone will guess the ending we still won't know if it's true till the story ends :p

17. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

Your Kitty looks almost exactly like mine! Except he's a boy and and his name's Jacob. He's my baby. Well a big, fat baby, but don't tell him that. ;)

Anyway.... It's here! Yay! And I forgot just how much I love Syal. She's such a fun character to read. Especially when she's making Jag skrim. [face_mischief]

-Vicster

18. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    I just worked on my accounting homework for 4 hours and let me tell you, anyone who is an accountant is just plain crazy. That being said, I owe TKL a real reply to the first post

To Force Evolution Series fans, welcome back! To new readers, welcome!

Girl, you know I love your stuff and this is no exception. It might take me a really long time to get a reply to you because I'm having MASSIVE DRL right now but I promise that I will respond to the whole thing because lets face it, I can't resist.

Only one part of him felt quiet and sure. His heart.
    Gotta love that heart of gold. And the self-doubt is so cute.

The Hapans had been uniformly if silently outraged when Jag had been given preferential treatment and brought to the head of line. If he wanted to run, they apparently were all for it.
    Jag run? That's hilarious. He might have doubts now but he'll follow through. It's just the kind of guy he is.

Snapping his heels together, he tipped his head to the others in the room, then to the guard to indicate he was ready to follow. With a rigid stride and self-confident carriage he marched into the chambers.
    Hey, what good are those barriers if you can't use them to your advantage? Besides, I like stiff Jag[face_mischief]

Once he returned to Chiss space, time and distance would soften that emotion until he was just a faint memory among many in a pain-filled war. The trouble was that his heart would never forget, could never forget a chance lost.
    Yeah and besides, they're so good together.

?You?re afraid of getting involved.? Tenel Ka?s voice swept closer, but there were no sounds of footfalls to accompany it.
    Gotta love the double entendre here. Tenel Ka is very wise. I love this scene. I can almost see it happening in my head.

?My commanding officer is my father,? he admitted.
    Another problem that I think there has been. The two of them (Jag and Soontir) have had a difficult time seperating the role of the commanding officer and the role of the father.

Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim
    Oh TKL. What did we say about cheesy over-obvious symbolism?:p

Oh yeah.

It's Star Wars, and we love it:D

Her upheld palmed silenced the apology. ?I must go. Please, take all the time you need.?

Yeah, I'm guessing that bringing up the man she loves that she thinks is dead probably isn't the best idea. Especially right before she picks another man to be her "consort".

?Fel hell, at your service.?
    It's so perfectly Briaun. I love it.[face_laugh]

?It is you,? she breathed.
    Aw. It?s so heartbreaking that she has to wonder.

Every one of them, though, boiled down to a critical element ? Jaina. ?Better than fine, actually. I?ve met a lot of nice people here.?
    Nice isn?t exactly how I would have classified Jaina during Dark Journey but I?m amused that that is the adjective he uses.

His mother nodded. ?Yes. The holos and letters. Everything. I can?t believe he named his daughter after me.?

A wave of relief flooded his emotions, then receded only to be replaced by a drowning sense of guilt. He had wanted to tell his father. ?That?s not a good idea. This isn't something I can discuss with the General."
    There?s that fine line again. In one paragraph he referred to Soontir as his father and as the General. It sucks that they haven?t found a happy medium.

?The people here need me.?
    The people do or one particular brunette ex-Rogue Jedi person does? I suppose it?s a little of both with more emphasis on the later.:D

?More than the Chiss do? More than your family??
    Ouch. His mother sure is a sharpshooter. Straight for the heart.

?Wedge is my family too. He lost everything in the fall of Coruscant. I don?t even know if his family made it out alive.?
    Funny that he can admit that to her, but that he still has trouble calling him uncle.

?But he's alive?? she asked, su

19. stickster

stickster Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    New fic! (Er, well, new since I've checked stuff.) ::attacks:: This is such a good premise - I love the missing moments thing, especially with Jag, since he's always a secondary character in the novels.

And seriously, the last line absolutely cracked me up. What a great reaction! Heh heh. I can't wait for the next part! (though I wish it was less than eight days away ::sniff::) :D

20. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?

I laughed SO hard. this is great. I love all these little fills ins( in a sense) you do. Syal you a smart lady.

can't wait for the next post!!

21. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    That was great, TKL! A nice beginning to what promises to be another great story. I'm looking forward to more.

22. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD MORNING!

I've been a terrible author and neglected these replies! :_| As it is with all the catching up I am going to make these short and sweet with more depth in the weeks to come?

A big huge thanks to all that have taken the time to read and respond. More so for understanding that the hurricane put a dent in my boards time. I'll be back to posting this next Friday :D

Lex: Heehee! For some reason this really cracked me up. I guess because it really sums up the whole Machiavellian nature of Hapan politics so fittingly ? the way the Hapans almost seem to feed off Jag?s fear while they lie in wait for him to fail. Very Ta?a Chume of them.

They are definitely a fun race to write about, very devious.

BigFatty: "Fel hell" -- Nice one, Briaun.

Seemed to be a popular line. I'll consider it a moment of inspired genius because I even cracked myself up [face_laugh]

JAGSGURL15: OMG TKL! that was awesome!

Somehow I knew you'd like it :)

DOOKIES ARE NUMBER 1!!! [face_dancing]

WynssaStarflare: Syal's reaction was priceless.

She's so fun to write. Oh the life of a mother?

Squishy: OH THE PLOT BUNNIES! I love it? TKL, this is gonna bug me all weekend?.I think I?m going to write it now?

I think it would be fun to see a fake trash magazine article on the affair of Jag and TK [face_mischief]

Sithly Monkey: That's a funny idea I must admit See I told you that media can be useful in the story

The media useful?

ROTFLMAO!

Full name used... Oh Jag now you're in some trouble

Amazing how that works o_O

Preggers: Something smells rotten!

You're right! He cheated :p

Oh?wait?YOU KILLED TENEL KA
    Bastard
    Who?s been watching too much South Park?
    Good thing you invented FEEEEEEE

At least Fee redeemed me :p

*screaming laughing*
    This is all the more humorous because we all know that Syal ends up falling just as much in love with Jaina as Jag does...

It is just delicious irony isn't it?

Kima: Kia! Vignettes, not frighteningly long epics! (That I swear I still plan to read, honest. ) Okay, vignettes I can handle. You can teach me all about the proper way to be a J/Jer.

It's not so hard. Miss L/Mer [face_love]

I love it. I love the whole conversation with Syal. It's great to see family moments like these, that often don't figure prominently in the books.

Sometimes those are the most fun to write, for me at least.

DreamingIce: Priceless! Utterly priceless!

Like a Mastercard commercial? :D

Scoundrel: It was really nice to get to see a little bit more of the friendship between Jag and Tenel Ka that we saw in All Angles.

I've always thought that in the YJK Tenel Ka was always a good friend so even as Queen she would do that well.

Nice double entendre. Even nicer that Jag caught it. Nicer still that he responded in kind.

Leona: Ooooh, lovely viggie!! Looking forward to more!

Thanks! :D More to come for sure.

Wildcat: Jag run? That's hilarious. He might have doubts now but he'll follow through. It's just the kind of guy he is.

Well I have to think even the doers have doubts. They're just better at squashing them.

There?s that fine line again. In one paragraph he referred to Soontir as his father and as the General. It sucks that they haven?t found a happy medium.

I think it's hard for them to differentiate, but in this instance Jag is being very careful to. If he talks to the General at work he can get ordered home, father cannot do that. For the Chiss it's a very crucial difference. And this is one of Jag's first rebel moves ? to circumvent the Chiss using their own beliefs against them.

JadeSolo: But I'm guessing there's no Jacen/Shawnkyr in any of these vigs, right?

Nope sorry :p

Tenel Ka made a joke? No way! But it's good to kn

23. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Wait. I just noticed something after reading the viggie again. Briaun's got black hair. Wait. Wha? Ahh... I'm confused. Is is possible that I've had this massively wrong image of Briaun in my head this whole time reading through Echoes and Legacy? Probably.

Weird. I'm so confused right now, and too tired to look up Briaun descriptions from the long 'fics. And by long I mean massive.

24. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I always thought of her as having black hair; I seem to remember TKL describing it as "raven" in the scene where Valin comes to pick her up for the party (I went back and read that one not too long ago). *shrugs* But I could be wrong.

25. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Briaun is Jag's equivalent in looks. Black hair and green eyes. [face_batting]

(I seem to recall that Wyn is a blonde though. Someone will have to confirm that.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.