main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Less "expectation" and more "hope" but I would like to see more prequel-era aliens show up.

The shows have been pretty good at having OT and ST aliens but for some reason they have been lacking in PT aliens and I think that's a shame cause they have some cool designs. I want to see an Anx again. XD

I mean, I always have some hope that some obscure Legends alien design shows up, but I've learned to not get my hopes up. I don't think we've had a re-canonized alien on screen since...what, Solo? It's been a hot minute.

2. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    IMO TLJ didn't really expose any more toxicity than what was already apparent from the prequels. I think there's a couple of things that make it feel new though:

1) The biggest one, IMO, is that people generally agreed, at at the time, that the prequels were Not Good. TLJ, in comparison, is much more split, so there's a lot more room for conflict between the people who enjoy TLJ and the people who don't and of course everyone takes everything way too personal in those situations.

2) The internet of course wasn't quite as prevalent at the turn of the millennium so what discourse existed was contained more to smaller internet communities and actual real life people speaking with their mouths.

3) Recency bias. TLJ has been the hot topic much more recently so its easy to forget the prequel hate that permeated the fandom pretty much up until TFA came out. Younger fans may not even have been around for the prequel toxicity.

3. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    I’d say it’s dripping in *far* too much nostalgia, which would be my critique for the season as a whole. Since this was marketed as the “TNG Reunion” season, I’m mostly fine with the memberberries, but it’s definitely not “the best new Trek in a long time” as some people like to put it. It’s fine on it’s own, and the nostalgia gives a few more points, but I like that the first two seasons did something different and new with the world before we had to turn down Memory Lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theorenwulf likes this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Trek Fans have had to endure years of JJ then Kurtzman Trek. This is far and away far superior to any of that stuff which is why its loved so much.
    Besides the conversation between Picard and Ro was excellent and definitely needed to happen

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Golbolco, EmperorHorus and Sarge like this.
  5. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Which is why I think there’s moments it could work, I enjoyed every scene with Ro; but Strange New Worlds also seems to be scratching that “classic Trek” itch and I think it does it more respectably than Pic S3;
    But anyway, I hope we see more NR stuff in Mando4 (crazy, I know). I want to at least hear one senate or government meeting that helps establish the state of the wider galaxy at large or gives us some understanding of Republic policy issues, especially if they deal with the events of this past season. Some reaction to what’s just happened at Mandalore, for instance, would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems to me that Picard s3 main goal was to become "SW Sequels, but done right" and it was mostly not unsuccessful.

Hope for a Mandalorian diplomatic mission to the NR Senate.

JediFett10, EmperorHorus and pronker like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Picard 3.10 was pretty much a TUF-level finale, with the same, very bumpy road leading to it.

JediFett10 and CaptainPeabody like this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I thought SNW was better than Picard Season 3 tbh

But I wasn't around for TNG (though I know enough about it and the characters from other media and pop culture references) so the nostalgia wouldn't hit me as hard

Sarge likes this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    TNG and its equally excellent spin off DS9 are both on Netflix. I would recommend checking them out on there. Be warned though the first 2 seasons with 2 fantastic exceptions of Q Who and The Measure of a Man for TNG are pretty bad. Though that was due to a number of reasons at the time. Not least a writers strike and creator Gene Roddenberry giving some crazy rules but once season 3 arrives. It's fantastic. Strangely enough the Spin off DS9 had the similar issues. In that you had the excellent Pilot episode and the brilliant episode Duet that dealt with War Crimes and the serves then got fantastic with Season 3 and The Dominon War

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Strange New Worlds is the best thing Trek right now, but I actually really like Disco. Picard season 3 is a marked improvement over 1 and especially 2, but without the double thick layer of nostalgia it wouldn't work.

It could easily go from there to slavish devotion to keeping the TNG crew around well past their sell by date and inability to pass the torch. Shoot, even the Legacy set up keeps a nostalgia character around and marginalized the 2 best NEXT Next Generation characters from the wrap up: the LaForge sisters.

11. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    I really wanted to like s2. For a show that marketted itself on time travel and being set in the same year as Past Tense, it does remarkably little with any of the worldbuilding. 70% of the time it seems to want to pretend like no-good-very-bad things like the Eugenics Wars didn't happen, while the other 30% of the time they did a double take and strongly confirm (if not explicitly say) that yes, the Eugenics Wars did happen. Same with WW3 literally just a few years away. I didn't check out S3 because all I've heard is it's an apology tour/nostalgiafest. I felt like most of the time that series had no idea what it wanted to be.

AusStig, Dawud786 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Check out Season 3. Its more than a Nostalgia fest. It felt like real Trek again. If only because Kurtzman had nothing to do with it and the Studio let Terry Matalas write what he liked.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    85-90% of Picard S3 is a too long, padded mess, told in mostly very serious fashion. This is grown-up Trek, look how darkly lit the ships are! Critics, are you not entertained?

Then it hits 3.10 and they finally remember to space all of that rubbish and deliver a superbly entertaining hour, in a far better, lighter style that they should have used from the start.

Sarge likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which was you favorite ending in E10 o_O

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was kind of happy with a plot that ran along at a good pace. One that didn't irritate me with its all so serious tone. And I didn't feel like it was 10 mins of plots racked to fill the episode's run time.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Partway through S3E4...

- How come Din needs R5-D4 to take a chemical analysis of the atmosphere? Shouldn't most starships be equipped with such sensors for all those times that people have to land on uncharted worlds? Or better yet, use probe droids for this. Since the Mandalorians are interested in reclaiming their homeworld, you'd think they'd have done this long before Din Djarin came along.
    - Bo-Katan's jetpack works underwater? Well actually I guess technically it's a rocket pack rather than a jetpack...do rockets work underwater?
    - I'm surprised nothing in Dr. Pershing's head ever went: "No, this is exactly what the New Republic does not want me to do. It's a bad idea. I'll never be able to publish my work anyway even if I do make some breakthrough."
    - Dr. Pershing says "it was a trap!" to the Mon Calamari [face_laugh]
    - The Mandalorian covert gets ambushed twice by giant man-eating creatures. The Mandalorians must have some awareness of what lives in their surrounding environment...so shouldn't they have sensors or lookouts in place to guard against this?
    - When the raptor abducts Ragnar, what reason is there to think that it wouldn't have killed him instantly? And what reason is there to think that the raptor understands the logic of hostage-taking such that it would kill Ragnar if the Mandalorians attacked its nest directly, but not otherwise?
    - You think maybe the writers wrote themselves into a corner here with the "Mandalorians must never take off their helmets" thing? Maybe if they had just made an exception when being around other Mandalorians...

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    DurararaFTW and QuinlanSolo like this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    All caught up.

- Technically knocking out the engines on the pirate corsair shouldn't have caused it to crash, because it's the repulsorlifts that are keeping it in the air, not the thrusters.
    - If the Darksaber rightfully belongs to Bo-Katan by virtue of her rescuing Din Djarin, why didn't Din start off by saying this sooner? Also, Moff Gideon didn't gain the Darksaber in any legitimate fashion, so doesn't that mean he was not its rightful owner?
    - The thought occurred to me around here, what happens if the Darksaber gets destroyed? The Jedi and Sith get their lightsabers destroyed rather frequently, so what's to say the same couldn't happen to the Darksaber? Lo and behold, this happens in the very next episode.
    - What does Gideon hope to gain by crushing the Mandalorians? The moment he reveals himself to the New Republic, it's curtains for him.
    - How does Gideon manage to build a secret base on Mandalore without anyone knowing? If I'm not mistaken, weren't there Mandalorians living on Concordia and Kalevala, which are in the same system? If so, they should have noticed Imperial ships coming and going.
    - For that matter, if the Mandalorians were already present in the Mandalore system, then making the tiny hop over to reclaim their homeworld shouldn't be a major undertaking at all.
    - Why does Gideon want Force-sensitive clones of himself? Why not just clone a Jedi? It would probably be less complicated than trying to infuse midichlorians into someone who isn't Force-sensitive. And I doubt that a clone of Luminara Unduli would be any more difficult to control than a clone of Gideon.
    - Early in the last episode, Gideon is tracking Din and Grogu's movements through the base, shown by the two dots on the schematic map. He doesn't seem too concerned. Then Din finds the cloning lab, and there's zero security, and he destroys it. Okay, looks like this lab isn't all that important to Gideon. Except later we see Gideon and he's royally pissed that his clones are all dead. Eh?

18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    That for me was the worst part of the entire season.

Plus, generally speaking, Gideon was neither interesting nor effective as a villain in this season. He only came back to be defeated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Watcherwithin, AusStig, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Finally getting around to season 3. Slowly, but still getting through.

Episodes 1 & 2: Bo Katan is so annoying. Get over yourself, lady. "wah, I don't have the Darksaber and wah I want to be alone so wah I can't be the leader anymore." Granted, she's awesome by the end of 3.02, BUT STILL. Grogu blowing raspberries at her to show his annoyance is perfect since I can't do it myself!
    Seeing Mandalore was sobering and beautiful even in its devastation. I continue to love the art and scenery in this show.

ETA: Holy crap at the mythosaur! <3

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wasn't she leader before when she didn't have the Darksaber, what's changed now that she has to have it ?

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    From what I understand, it’s that people wouldn’t follow her without it.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One word: Mandalores.

Like that character Axe Wolves or whatever, he's the most awful character but he's such a perfect Mandalore. Bunch of whiney cry-babies. Does it matter that Bo Katan helped them out and was a good leader for years? Nooooo. She has to have the Sword.

The only good thing about that plot was that they stuck with it (mostly) through the season, and in so doing, gave Bo Katan a true character arc. I didn't think that would be possible in a third season. But that's being generous because the plot sucked.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But they were following her without though weren't they.
    I'll be happy if we never see another Mandalorian again. The plot was bad, didn't go anywhere and the characters are terrible.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I want to say yes, but 1. I have paid little attention to Bo Katan and recall little from Rebels especially with the Mandalorian subplot and 2. I feel like something happened to make them all uppity.

25. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    They were following Bo when Gideon had the saber and she was actively trying to get it back. Once Din got it and she refused to try and get it from him, who most of them loath as a Child of the Watch, they stopped following her and abandoned her. It's dumb but also pretty Mandalorian to be honest.

Sarge and SWpants like this.