main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    She historical fumbled the bag

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Dang, who is her lawyer...Lionel Hutz?

MercenaryAce, Darth_Duck and Sarge like this.
  3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Don't laugh. And leave this alone. Whatever happens between Gina Carano and Lucasfilm/Disney is not something to laugh about.

I hold a different view from all of you on what happened to Carano and personally I think the Imgur thing is a joke page, set up for you guys to laugh at.

4. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Link doesn’t work, but if it’s what I think it is, then…

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    If they are invoking California state labor laws shouldn't this have been filed with a state court rather than Federal?

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    It is absolutely something to laugh about and I'm going to do it all the way to the bank.

7. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    And take up ten plus pages of you laughing because she's a right-wing conservative Republican with a right to free speech?

Nope. I'd rather talk about speculating Season 4/Film cast and synopsis.

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Free speech doesn't really apply to private employers, especially if they have contractual clauses re: social media conduct.

Moreover, if she was between contracts with Disney/LFL(and in all likelihood she was due to nature TV and streaming contracts) then Disney/LFL have freedom to not offer her another contract in the wake of her behavior that her employers and colleagues weren't happy with.

She cant even coherently make the "sex discrimination" case because in the filing she brings attention to the fact that Disney/LFL stood beside female employees that were harassed online by racist boneheads!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Yeah, they defend everyone else. Just not her.

I'm leaving this thread.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  11. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Why should they defend her?

Darth_Duck and Serfer like this.
  12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    "Hey let's defend the transphobe while our star, the man everyone loves, has a out and proud trans sister" would have been a real bad look

Also I am once again begging for literacy in that freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. She said stupid and hateful things! She sowed the wind! She reaped the storm! FAFO YALL

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Jedi Ben, Ewoklord, KamNale and 8 others like this.
  13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    "Being a Republican is exactly like being a Jew in 1939" is a horrible take and Disney wanting to dissociate themselves from that is totally understandable.

14. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Noash, you might be less of a political outsider here if you argued your positions and didn't dip at the first sign of pushback, which I've seen you do twice now. I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to understand that Star Wars (and sci-fi in general, really) is more progressive then it is conservative, so a lot of people here are pretty skeptical of that side of the political fence.

You have freedom of speech, you can say what you want. But that doesn't exclude you from the consequences, in this case a populist entertainment mega-corp not liking the consumer loss that comes from having an openly transphobic actor in a major role in one of their most-popular shows.

Their well within their right to fire an employee over statements said employee made. It happens all the time.

That's why people find this lawsuit ridiculous, it has no ground to stand on.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Senpezeco, Jedi Ben, KamNale and 8 others like this.
  15. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Because the more I argue the further it'll escalate. I don't want that. I'm not interested in that. And with my personal mental state right now, I don't want to be in that position. That's why I've backed out.

16. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I agree that this isn't the forum (literally) for these arguments.

darthzac14, Dream-Thinker and Sarge like this.
  17. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    To be clear however there should be no quarter given for transphobia and this lawsuit is ridiculous. I just don't think arguing about it on a Star Wars forum is going to be too productive for anyone involved.

JediFett10 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And it's a very safe bet there were social media clauses, along with others covering public conduct.

Dawud786 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  19. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    That's entirely understandable. @Ewoklord is correct of course that this isn't really the forum for political talk and obviously, if you have a mental thing then siting a conversation out is totally fair and I don't hold that against you.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I guess I'm just a little frustrated with some people, and not just you @Noash_Retrac. But to get into that is to get more political and I haven't lived this long by not being able to read a room lol.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    That's why I left this thread (but I'll come back on) because I'm more than aware from previous postings that my personal politics have been attacked whether directly or indirectly, particularly when it comes to my stance about Disney vs. Gina Carano. I don't want this discussion to occur here. We should talk about Mando and theories for s4 and the film, not whether or not Gina has a case with Disney (believe me there are times I don't agree with Mark Hamill's posts but I don't think he should be fired for them -- actors and companies such as Disney should remain apolitical and non-activist).

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Mark Hamill isn't under contract, so he can't really be fired. Not that he has made any hateful statements to begin with.

Disney isn't trying to be political, nor is throwing minor breadcrumbs towards some minorities in any way "activist" behaviour, unless you consider having mostly white male leads, and white male creatives as activism for men's rights. What Disney very much can do - and what basically every company does when such a situations arises - is that it can distance itself from people who say or do things that hurt the business side or are violating their code of conduct. This is completely disconnected from what the actual case is about. You do something that goes against the interests of the company, you will face consequences. In this particular case, Gina Carano apparently wasn't even under any sort of contract, so all Disney did, was decide not to re-hire her. Something they very much have the right to do. It would be very odd to say the least, to force someone to re-sign a person they don't want to work with anymore.

Disregarding for one moment that freedom of speech is only about protection from persecution by the government, one couldn't possibly claim that Gina Carano should be allowed to say whatever she wants, while denying Disney from doing the very same thing (by stating they don't want to work with her anymore). Otherwise you would deny someone their right to free speech. Which is exactly why freedom of speech is solely about preventing persecution by the government, because it couldn't possibly apply to everyone. It is in fact an impossibility, as the only way you could possible "protect" someone from suffering any consequences for what they have said or done, would be by denying everyone else from voicing their opinion. Which is the anti-thesis of freedom of speech.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  22. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Regarding other RL stuff that nevertheless can affect the story - with Pedro Pascal seemingly being cast as Reed Richards in Fantastic Four movie, that makes me wonder how much screen time without helmet Din is going to get in the new film.

23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    It certainly would've been good to have our once-a-season helmet removal. And with Mandalore back in the hands of the Mandalorians, all Din Djarin needs to do is take a swim every so often.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    To repay a debt from season 3 and TBoBF, at least a half hour of screen time without helmet is required.

25. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    And cameos from Boba Fett, the Wren clan (turns out they're alive -- hated they were supposedly killed off on-screen), Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Mon Mothma, General Madine and Admiral Ackbar.