main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Music of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    people forget that there's a part 2 to Palpatine's seduction in the extended track of Ep III. 1 :emperor:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Grey Matter likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't prefer Göransson to Williams, but I'm really happy about his approach to The Mandalorian. It's musically very different from John Williams, but it's thematically similar, and I think the approach itself is pretty much the same. Williams looked at what Lucas tried to do with SW and made music that helped sell the vision and tell the story and its themes. He was very aware of the music of the film genres Lucas was referencing, and used that to the movie's advantage.
    Göransson did the same, and as The Mandalorian is very different in style from the Saga, the music is as well, which is why the Mando music, in terms of attitude and sound, has more in common with Ennio Morricone than John Williams.

I really wish we could have gotten a composer with that approach to do the music for Solo as well, as that movie suffered (IMO) from a soundtrack that just tried to sound like Williams' Saga music, without that being beneficial to the movie.

That being said, I love the little nods to existing themes we've gotten this season. It makes sense to use Ahsoka's theme for scenes with Ahsoka, and a few notes from Yoda's theme when he is mentioned. But I hope it stays at that level - small nods when called for, but mostly original music.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm assuming they finished the last episode out with some live chamber music?

4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Music in chapter 16 was noticeably more cinematic

Jedi Daniel and DarthFixxxer like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Doesn't the music for his return bridge the OT with the ST really well?

6. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Volume 2 of the Season 2 soundtrack is available to purchase.

And amazingly for once, every track on my personal wishlist was included!

Grey Matter and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    some nice Chamber music to close out the season.

and, uh, just about the polar opposite of what chamber music is.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    DLCV and DarthFixxxer like this.
  8. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    The music for all of the Mandolorian has been fantastic, chapter 16 - amazing, Book of Boba Fett teaser - Oh yeah!

Hats off to Ludwig Göransson!

Zoe Con and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    From what I've listened to so far, 2/3 of my favorite parts from Chapter 13 are included. I just wish the release included that little rendition of the Mando motif that sounds like old ceremonial music, when Din walks into the village.

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I cannot express HOW MUCH I LOVE that song with the title "Come With Me"

They were keeping it for the end of the season.

This episode felt like it was directed by George Lucas.

And the song feels like "What if John Williams had composed The Mandalorian Theme"

THESE GUYS DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP GIVING US EXACTLY WHAT MAKES US GET ALL THE FEELS.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just give Göransson another Emmy, it's not even a competition IMO.

12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Amazing work once again this season by Ludwig. =D==D==D=

Zoe Con, Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    “A Friend” is up there with any John Williams track now

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I still love that the show sounds familiar yet unique and I hope it never loses that

Zoe Con, Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    "A Friend" and "Open the Door" are just so damn amazing. I get major ET vibes at that last part in "Open the Door", when Grogu is in the elevator and turns around to look right at Din.. you know the moment. The way the music swells gets me every time.

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018

Stole this from another topic, I think it was the Ahsoka topic....
    Really good video.

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My kids immediately renamed the Darktroopers as "Dubstep Troopers" when that latter theme kicked in.

I do have to say I preferred the subtle Williams quotes in "The Jedi" to the ones in the finale. The former were more subtle, that later made me feel like the show was selling its own identity just a little bit short. Not terribly so, though, and given what was being depicted, it would have been hard to do anything else,

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have to say, I think I need to revisit my initial opinions about the music for the Mandalorian. I find myself liking it a lot more as the show has gone on. I apprwcviate the main theme a lot more than I did. And I think the season two scores are head and shoulders above the season one stuff. Season two has actually had moments during the show where I notice the music in a positive way. At some point I might even try listening to the music away from the show again...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I can't stop listening to "a friend"

it's so haunting and just simply beautiful.

TCF-1138 and DarthFixxxer like this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    my only critique of that piece is it is mostly, if not all synthetic, for a track that seems to me was intended for a live recording, but I don't think we should hold that against Ludwig considering the circumstances with covid. Also, most of the show is synthetic, so it fits, but I still think this particular piece was intended to be played and recorded. I think the only live instrument was Ludwig on his Guitar. The fake choir took me out of it listening to the soundtrack, though it serves the scene well in the episode.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I never thought about that, but I agree 100%. If Solo's soundtrack was done similar to Mando's it would have been so much better.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018

This guy Samuel Kim really knows how to remix and expand on Star Wars (and not only) themes.
    I LOVE what he has done in the above compilation for Season 2 of The Mandalorian
    The Bo Katan theme sounds SO good. And of course the Boba Fett theme is FIRE.
    Praise Ludwig Goransson!!! I think the soundtrack to Season 2 is a significant step up from Season 1.

0:00 Luke Skywalker Theme - Mandalorian Version
    2:40 Journey to Mos Pelgo
    5:12 Bo Katan Theme(Nite Owls)
    7:18 Boba Fett Theme
    9:22 Dark Trooper Theme
    11:24 Ahsoka Tano Theme - Mandalorian Version
    16:38 Duel of The Fates - Mandalorian Version

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think both season 1 and 2 soundtracks are great and fit the stories they’re telling perfectly. The more intimate and less high-flying soundtrack was perfect for the smaller scale of season 1, and the more epic sounds of the season 2 soundtrack were perfect for the season’s widening aperture. That’s why Goransson is so great. He creates music that fits the story, not music that overwhelms the story.

Cynda likes this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    there's droning in the backdrop of the start of this track that brings my mind straight to another track.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  25. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    That piece is absolutely beautiful and yeah Samuel Kim does really great remixes. He'll make different version of songs. He done a Medieval versions, epic versions, sad versions, Russian versions. Also he has a real knack for transitioning. Neat how he rethinks all these songs and it's also impressive how fast he gets them out.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    DarthFixxxer likes this.