main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've never teared up during Order 66 in ROTS. I'm not sure I'll be able to say that the next time I watch it now. And If they end up introducing the clan that he murders in the Council chambers...

TCW has made Anakin's fall much more tragic IMO, especially this last arc.

2. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count."

The Clone Wars destroys the continuity of this line. Anakin and Dooku duel in season 6, VERY close to the beginning of where ROTS sits in the timeline. Also, Obi-Wan's line of "This time we take him together" makes very little sense since they had just gotten into a duel with Dooku and took him together.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

According to my calculations, Anakin duels with Dooku four times during TCW. Three times on his own and once, the last time they duel before ROTS, together with Obi-Wan.

Dooku wins one of the duels and captures Anakin, the other three end up with one of the combatants running away.

And yeah, the line in ROTS sounds a bit funny knowing that Dooku and Anakin fought every few months during TCW.

DurararaFTW, LordDallos and JediLight like this.
  4. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    The last time they fight is in the Dark Disciple Novel, which is a few months before ROTS.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  5. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

I totally forgot about that one. So Anakin and Dooku fought five times during TCW prior to ROTS. The duel in AOTC and their last fight in ROTS makes it seven. They probably knew each others moves inside and out by that point and Anakin's powers were 128 times greater since their first duel if they multiplied by two each time they fought :)

LordDallos and daniel brown like this.
  6. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    There would have probably been a reason for Obi-Wan's 'do it together line' in ROTS. Maybe if Dark Disciple was animated, we would have been given an explanation, such as Anakin facing him alone?

7. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012

It's actually six times.

-TCW film
    -Dooku Captured (briefly)
    -Shadow Warrior
    -Slaves of the Republic
    -Crisis on Naboo
    -Dark Disciple

8. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

If I remember correctly, they do not duel in Dooku Captured. There is only some Force Lighting while Anakin chases Dooku down the shaft.

9. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Who is responsible for TCW Anakin's look and voice?
    As in, who decided to model him that way/cast who they cast?

Because he looks and sounds nothing like Hayden. It's kind of ridiculous.
    You can say TCW Anakin is better, but that's irrelevant to the fact that there is no continuity.
    TCW Anakin has a much deeper voice, much more masculine looks, is less insecure 99% of the time, etc...

Genndywars got the look and voice pretty close to Hayden, why couldn't Filoni?
    Why did Lucas let him make the main character a different character?

DurararaFTW likes this.
  10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't see them as that different a portrayal. Less, Matt Lanter's voice noticeably deepens as the series goes on, but it's hardly a deal breaker in considering Anakin a different character. Palpatine's second voice actor in TCW also barely sounds like Palpatine, but it's still the same character.

As for looks, he looks the same to me, especially once the Season 3 timeskip removes the CW era armour he and Obi-Wan wore for budget reasons.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan & Dooku's beards were modelled on Genndy CW - but Genndy CW gives Obi-Wan a much more square beard than the movies or TCW does.

Genndy-Anakin also seems to have longer hair:

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Could be in the credits. Never bothered looking myself, honestly, but I'd check for who's behind talent casting and who's behind voice direction. The answer lies somewhere around there, and obviously Matt Lanter himself for choosing to audition and keeping the role

Apparently, Hayden was willing to do the voice for TCW Anakin, but they decided against it

I think in CW (and a few other things like BFII and the Ep III video game) they had a Hayden impressionist (Mat Lucas, no relation to George) who did a decent job, while, while I like Matt Lanter's Anakin, he's not really even trying to sound like Hayden, but I think he gets the intonation right for the most part. How much of this is due to him and how much is due to his voice directors, no idea

Also, this is really solely about TCW, gettin' extraterritorial and moving to SWTV section

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    TCW Anakin seemed much more like young Vader. Seems they were going for that, rather than copy Hayden. Makes for a better character but zero consistensy.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    I was hardly a fan of Genndy Anakin either, but whatever.

Interested to know more, got a source or anything?

I often caught myself mentally dubbing a lot of the voices in TCW with their actual film counterparts and just trying to imagine everything in live action. This is why I prefer the books and comics as far as tie-in media goes. You either get a 'realistic' art style (most of the time) or no visuals at all if its a book (in which case you get to be the director.) And all of the voices and sound effects, you can just mentally project onto each page. Genndy Wars gets my imagination riled up every time, trying to picture what it would look like if it were 'real', but with all the framing, the timing, the colors and the action kept intact.

11-4D and Point_Of_View like this.
  15. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

If that really was the case, I wish they have used Hayden.

But maybe he was more expensive or they were afraid he would leave after season or two?

They could have used him for the movie at least. They had Sam Jackson and Christopher Lee after all.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Whoever did Dooku in the series did an amazing job.

11-4D likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    That'd be Corey Burton, who's been a Christopher Lee impressionist for quite a while. I believe Lee himself even gave his compliments to Burton's impression

I'm afraid I can't find it again despite my search, since it was really obscure, but I'm 99% certain it was legit. Hayden heard about the movie and called up to say he was interested, and I believe he said that he was given a "We'll call you" instead of a yes or no

I think it's just a case of TCW Anakin being substantially different in terms of what facets of his personality needed to be shown as opposed to AOTC and ROTS. I think Matt Lanter comes across as more realistic compared to more.... how to word it.... I suppose theatrical, but in an antiquated sense of the word, which is a reason I prefer the movies to TCW

On a side note, that's a common criticism of the movies I see. That the characters don't act realistic. I have a feeling that's not the intention to begin with lol. SW has quite the archaic feeling when it comes to presentation, and that's what I love about it

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I loved the subtle mannerisms of Vader they gave to Anakin in TCW which we didnt get to see in the films.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I think Hayden just didn't fit their version of the character.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    "It has been foretold the Chosen One will remain to keep my children in balance."
    "No."
    "I cannot force you to do this, the choice must be yours. But leave, and your selfishness shall haunt you and the galaxy."

*Anakin boards a ship, flies away and we hear strains of the Imperial March. Chill inducing stuff. Love that scene.

21. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    He looks and feels the same to me. The Anakin in TCW is way more Epi 3 than Epi 2 Anakin. Im not sure everyone thinks the Anakin, from the films and the Anakin from TCW are that much different.

22. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    No, TCW Anakin was clearly a reset. Hayden's version simply wasn't popular and Lucas himself said he regretted that Anakin's more cheerful side never came across in the movies.

It was not lack of ability that made them distance themselves away from the Hayden persona. It was intentional. Lanter was told during auditioning to go for a Han-Luke blend.

And I 100% approve of that decision. The prospect of spending week after week with a PT-style Anakin was one of the major things that kept me from giving TCW a chance for a long time after its debut.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    now this is a thread I haven't seen in a long, long time.

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You are saying NO, as if what you saying is a hard fact. You may see a difference, but that doesnt mean that everyone else does. I see live action Anakin and cartoon Anakin as the same characters. There is nothing wrong with that.You see them as different that is fine, but you cant say your way is the way everyone should see it lol.

25. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    You can reconcile the two different versions in your mind if you like, but my response was about the intentions of the showrunners Lucas and Filoni - not about how individual fans reconcile the Anakins.