main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediLight, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This thread is an oldy...

It's hard not to be biased toward Lanter's version. TCW endeared me to Anakin. The problem with the movie version is all the focus on the love subplot and not enough focus on the hero Obi-wan described him as in ANH. One problem with movies is the limited amount of time. The Prequels IMO had a penchant for trying to do a bit much with the time they had. I actually do enjoy the prequels. TCW allowed Anakin the time to be fleshed out finally into the hero and great Jedi that Obi-wan described him as. This is important because Anakin/ Vader, in my opinion, is the core of the Skywalker era mythology and it all comes back to him and orbits him in some way. It's really not that hard to reconcile them together particularly in ROTS with TCW acting as the bridge and by the time we get to his end in ROTJ it give new appreciation to his passing as I can remember the hero from The Clone Wars.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I would say he was a brat before. Shmi never came off as the strict type and Watto just wanted to make some money. Watto had a lot of confidence in Anakin due to Anakin's abilities. Qui Gon was wise not to reveal that information to Watto. Even though Anakin was a slave he seemed to have more freedom as a slave then he did as a Jedi.

3. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    I always thought TCW's Anakin gelled really well with the opening scene of ROTS, just as his relationship with Obi Wan. Full of banter, the occasional tongue in cheek annoyance, Anakin doing heroic stunts ect.

In my mind that's where he chooses to become more solemn and moody, with the killing Dooku and the shooking news afterwards that his wife is pregnant

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I generally agree.
    I've always seen it as the movies covering the most important days of his life, during which he got very little sleep and had his loved ones under threat almost constantly.
    The Clone Wars covers the rest of it, it's him on just another day where he can be a bit lighter and be secure in the fact that Padme, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan are generally safe.

When you see it from this perspective it is a lot easier to recognize the two depictions as one. As you mentioned the first few minutes of ROTS have an almost TCW vibe to them with Anakin and Obi-Wan working together and joking around.
    There are also several episodes of TCW that give Anakin reason to be stressed, or moody as he is directly stated to be in the film. The Wrong Jedi is the most obvious case, there is also the Deception Arc and Brain Invaders all of which deal with him confronting situations where his friends are under threat and he is desperate to save them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've considered the main issue with reconciling TCW Anakin and film Anakin to mainly be with people who still just want to hate on the prequels after all this time and have not given TCW a proper shot. That's how discussions, where I bring up Anakin go off this board. For example with the manga Boku no Hero Academia fandom a popular topic is comparing protagonist Deku to Luke Skywalker. I say Deku reminds me a lot more of Anakin and people always get all offended like I'm comparing Deku to the brooding, emo teen talking about sand in AOTC. I say, "No, watch The Clone Wars and ROTS, the resemblance is uncanny..." but they won't bother.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Seerow, cwustudent and GS335 like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    S7 Anakin is so much like ROTS Anakin it's nuts. Great development over the course of the show (including the Utapau reels!).

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    The look he gives Obi-Wan when he says "I hope you at least told Padme I said hello." is what really sells it for me.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I have always looked at TCW Anakin and movie Anakin as the same character. He grows out of his AOTC period and grows up fast in just a few months of war. Yoda and Obi wan sees it and Yoda decides to give an apprentice to help him grow and when time let that apprentice go. Wee see his anger and frustation like in AOTC just more subtle. We see him and Obi wan as brothers as we see little in ROTS and hear from Obi wan in ANH. We see more of the Anakin/Padme relationship and how it grows. I loved Padme's speach to Anakin last week. We see him care about his troops witch was hinted at in ROTS. We see Kenobi learning of his relationship to Padme and how his own relationship with Satine might have affected him and why he lets Anakin be happy.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    To be honest, my main problem with The Clone Wars Anakin is that his voice and mannerisms seem very different from Hayden Christensen's. Christensen has a pretty distinctive voice, so I rather wish they could have gotten him back for the series, although I suppose they could not get him for so many episodes.

I can tell what they were trying to do, but I feel like at times he felt a bit too heroic with only a few episodes of him being moody. It might have helped to make him more ambiguous in the later seasons in order to set up him turning evil (for example, going more into his reaction in Season 6 after Ahsoka left). I also wish they had made him generally more reserved so as to match with the movies and also his general personality at this stage of life.

But yes, I admit I can see how he is the same character—even if him usually being the good guy makes it harder to remember that he is still the sort of guy who could slaughter an entire tribe of Tuskan raiders.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.