main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

"BoSS Documents of the Galaxy" so Star Wars fans can feel the vivid burocracy of the galaxy far, far, away like never before. Followed up by "Legal Texts of the Galactic Governments" a compilation of Republican, Imperial, New Republican, etc. laws and intricate webs of orders. And to round up the trilogy, the third installment "From Customs to customs across the galaxy", the definite travellers handbook to import/export regulations and the delicacy of communicating and presenting oneself in accordance with a multitude of species and cultures customs and sensitivities.
    All of course presented in vivid prose as as annotated and lived in style as opposed to the brutality of boring legislative texts.

Kinda an Encyclopedia Galactica for galactic travellers akin to that of Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

SOLD, Take my money! Where do I sign the petition? Support the kickstarter?

MercenaryAce and darthosaka like this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just one fan's opinion...but that would have been cool. I really love the Atlas and Guide to Warfare for delving into the history and culture of the Galaxy and can only imagine that an Essential Spacefarer's Guide would have given us more of that.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That will never sell unless there's at least 3 chapters on the taxation of outlying trade routes. o_O

But seriously, I had most of those old WEG sourcebooks and they were reasonably believable descriptions of some of the more mundane aspects of travel by private transports. There's definitely room to expand on that material, and I'd happily read it.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Been dipping my toe in the Pius Dea rabbit hole this afternoon (finally have a physical copy of EGtW coming in the mail), and I find the character of Biel Ductavis super interesting and raises a lot of questions. What kind of person would be trusted enough to run both the Jedi and the Republic? Would a human, near-human, or complete non-human make the most political sense in the immediate aftermath of a near-millennium of human supremacist thinking? How did his career end? Was he actually a decent person? To be honest, I'm much more interested in characters like this being the ones from Legends to be revisited. One Ductavis novel would be far more interesting to me than a twelfth Thrawn one.

That's what I love/hate about Star Wars, is that there's so many fun little kernels that could easily become entire stories on their own, but are often never touched on again!
    (If there's a more relevant Essential Guide to Warfare thread feel free to CtrlX+CtrlV this comment there)

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would love to learn more about Ductavis. The first Jedi Chancellor; it’s quite a statement.

6. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    Mustag Olus novel when?

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    @jasonfry Did you or Dan Wallace come up with the idea to have the Order of Dai Bendu inhabit Thape in addition to Ando Prime?

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Sounds like Dan, though we're now talking nearly 20 years ago. Many things have been lost in the mists of time....

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh I'm crummy at that -- eight-year-old me somehow thought "Tagge" must be pronounced "Tahjj" and I can't make my brain give that up. So boulder of salt etc.

But I pronounce it "Pious DEE-ah."