main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but since Republic #81 and 82 have the same creative team, how is it that 82 is scheduled to come out a week before 81? <<

Mastadge

I don't have any info, really,(and, as we've established, no control of it either) but you're talking about the DH SCHEDULE right?

My bet is that they WILL come out in order. All other bets are off.<g>

-- John

2. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>i've another question: was Plo Koon a Padawan or a Jedi Kight at the time of the Stark Hyperspace War?
    <<

Very much a knight and a respected one since he was being considered even then for the Jedi Council. His calling Tyvokka "master" was an honorific.

-- John

3. The_Koon

The_Koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    i want to buy/order The Stark Hyperspace War TPB. is there a Dutch-translated version??

4. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm not aware of any but that might not mean anything. Do you get any of the other SW comics translated? If so, check with THAT publisher. Othewise, you can get the English language version online several places. i'd check closer to you first to cut down on shipping charges.

-- John

5. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Stark Hyperspace War is not translated in Dutch, just the first 3 (or 4)Clone Wars TPB's and the movie TPBs.

6. The_Koon

The_Koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    ok, that's no problem. i can read english

7. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    For those of you who may be interested:

Over on the Dark Horse SW Boards, they've posted a page from an upcoming issue of SWR that Jan and I did but without any words in the balloons. Gives you a chance to fill them in yourself. I've done it and so have several others. If you want to play, the address below should get you there. I think you have to be a member to post there but membership is free.

-- John

http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8375&start=0

8. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Mr. Ostrander, do you know if Purge will be collected with Republic 79-83 in a TPB? I don't normally buy single issues but this one looks too good to pass up!

9. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    I honestly don't know although it would fit in with that general time span. And I'm assuming it will make it into a TPB somewhere so it makes sense it would be that one.

-- John

10. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Folks

For those who are interested, there are previews for PURGE and for both Republic 81 and 82 up at the DH Board. In the meantime, Jan and I are pressing full ahead on the new series. All I will say -- and I DO mean all for right now -- is that, when you start getting info on it I think it's going to make a buzz on the Lit Forum Boards.

-- John

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Previews look great! :)

One question: is "Uncle Villie" a reference to ESB Infinities, or am I forgetting another comic where Villie is called that? [face_thinking]

Can't wait to hear about the new series! :D

12. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Thanks. The "Uncle Villie" stuff will become more clear in context of the story. Not meant as a reference to anything else.

-- John

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    My copy of Legend of GrimJack, Volume 4 came in yesterday! :D

14. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Kewl! hadn't realized it was out. What stories are in it? Did you like it?

-- John

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It collects issues 15-21. Haven't had the chance to read it yet. A little bummed that cover price has gone up from $20 to $25, but I'll live.

16. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Happy Holiday to everyone -- whichever Holiday it is for you!<g> And thanks to all the fans who have supported my work on SW and GJ in the past year. If you're travelling, may you arrive safely. All the best

-- John

17. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    mr. o-

you are too much.
    even sending us holiday wishes!

i'll tell ya -- you and jan should get awards for what you've done to the world of SW comics=D=

i hope they post pics of you in the back of #83 or at least the editor/s [which you have survived more than one of] should kiss you buttox.

i hope you 2 never get bored or busy and keep the franchise in such capable hands

-pete

[there it is -- the 1st time in 4 years i have revealed my real name here on the boards]

18. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Happy New Year to one and all!

If you're going out to a party tonight, have fun and may you get home safely.

I'll catch you on the other side of New Year's.

-- John

19. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Happy New Year John :D

Hoping to post more often in here and on the Dark Horse forums next year lol.
    Can't wait for my John O Star Wars comics ;)

20. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey, gang. I'VE got a question and would like to hear peoples' thoughts on it.

Noticed on the PURGE thread over in LitForum that a summary went up of the story even before the book hit the comics shops. As a writer, that sometimes bothers me a bit since I prefer to have the reader encounter the surprises as they read the story for the first time. Please note -- I'm not criticizing the one who did it and I'm not making this a complaint. I'm just wondering -- DOES knowing the story BEFORE you buy it take away from your pleasure in the book? Does it make you LESS likely to buy the book, even if it sounds okay? Or does it not matter either way? Certainly, I read the NY Times Book review every week and I've discovered some books there that I've wound up reading and definitely enjoyed but they don't usually give every plot twist.

I'm just curious on how you, the fan, feel about it.

-- John

21. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I will buy every comic of SW that comes out no matter if I knew the whole story or not. But I prefer to be as un-spoiled as possible. For Purge I did read it just to see what Jedi will be in that number, i skimmed the who dies in what way and already forgot about most except Tsui Cho (sp?)

22. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    I dislike spoilers and do feel like it lessens my enjoyement of a product, be it comic, book, movie or TV show, if I know what is going to happen beforehand. I spoiled myself silly for the prequels and I kinda regret it now, looking back. It is really hard to stay away from spoilers on the internet, though. I enjoy discussing what I've read/watched with other fans, but once spoilers are out I have to stay out of particular threads because 90% of posters do like analyzing the spoilers. I have a busy "real life" between job, family, friends, and other hobbies, so sometimes I don't get to read an issue until a couple of weeks have passed. As a consequence, it's hard for me to catch up on all of the substantive discussion on a particular story, especially if it's been discussed months before when spoilers were first leaked - as is usually the case.

I don't think anything can be done, anyway. Inevitably, someone will read/watch a product first and will share it, and most people seem to enjoy finding out what will happen as soon as they can. Curse you, Internet! :p

I wish I could share my feelings on PURGE, however my local shop messed up and has yet to receive their shipment.

23. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Hi, John.

I dont really get on these boards as much as I used to so I dont usually spoil myself here. I will say that I pretty religiously go to the dh site and look to see if they have posted preview pages from the upcoming issues.

However, I have noticed that this kinda ruins the experience for me when I get home with my books (I tend to automatically skip the first four pages because I have read this already). I noticed myself doing this today with SWR 81 and Purge. I know this can really ruin the tempo the author was trying to create, but I can't seem to stop myself from going to the site.

Congrats on Purge though, I really enjoyed it - though I wish you'd had more then one issue to flesh this one out a bit. Im a big fan of Jan, but this whitley is no slouch either. And of course, Adam Hughes never hurts sales (though the image is a bit more disturbing then his ususal). I really like the combination of past and present with kessel, the facility seeming like a combination between BESPIN and MOOOOOOSTAFAR.

SWR 81 was very good, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. I do feel that the double posting of previews on the dh site ruined this issue a bit for me since I saw the resolution to the cliffhanger in the issue 82 preview before I could even get my hands on issue 81. Hopefully, the end will remain unspoiled. (Just an aside, the ending of the last issue of EMPIRE was one heck of a shocker! I'm surprised no one has ever taken that character idea in the almost 20 years of SW fiction).

Please keep up the good work and thanks again for taking the time to post here!

24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999

Damnit, I should have taken that bet!! :p

25. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Hmm that might be just a solicitation error. I got issue #81 a few days ago. The retailer didnt have issue #82.