main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Karen Miller Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Karen! Just bought the new book and am starting to read it! Quick question, because it's going to bug me until I know--wasn't there a character in this book named after a fan who won a charity auction? If so, which character? I suspect "Avrey"...[face_thinking]

2. KarenMiller

KarenMiller Author: -Wild Space star 1 VIP

Mar 6, 2009
    Good guess, but sorry! *g* The guest character is in Siege. I'll leave it for you to guess again ...

As for Stealth, fingers crossed you enjoy it!

3. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Karen, I had really high expectations for Stealth and you *exceeded* them. I found it even more enjoyable than Wild Space, and can't even begin to say how much I love how you write Obi-Wan and Anakin. Their similiarities, differences, and what made them such a great team really came through in Stealth.

Heck, I even adored how you wrote Yoda- a wise and highly respected Jedi Master with a hint of the character's Empire Strikes Back warmth and humor.

Bant'ena's dilemma was complicated and her response to it very human. I can't wait for Siege to see where the story goes next.

4. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    And if that's not a lovely way to start the day, I don't know what is. Thank you so much, Opal. I'm tickled pink you enjoyed it! And I hope that Siege ends the story well for you, too. I really did have so much fun exploring the two guys and their teamwork. I understand why the films were structured the way they were, but I really missed seeing them make the transition from master/pupil in Clones to equals and kick arse Jedi team mates at the beginning of Revenge, so getting the chance to play with that was fantastic fun.

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Karen, I just got back from the bookstore, and they had Stealth! [face_dancing] I haven't been able to start reading it yet, but I flipped through it and notiiced that someone mentioned the Outer Rim Sieges. Does the show take place during this time? I was never quite clear on that. [face_thinking]

6. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003

It showed! I truly believe that when an artist (whether a writer, musician, actor, etc) has *fun* doing what they do that it not only shows, but it's also contagious. I smiled,laughed, and hollered quite a bit while reading Stealth.

I'm sure I sound like a gushing fangirl at this point, but I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I really enjoy your work and that I hope "the powers that be" can talk you into playing in the Star Wars sandbox again.

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I just started the book today, Karen! Fantastic so far, just as the last one was. :D

8. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    Bless you, Opal. Having (like, 5 mins ago) just finished another 175k mainstream novel, a time when any writer tends to feel a touch fragile (if not downright manic) your kind words are a balm to my swiss cheese brain, I tell you.

At times like this there is no such thing as bad fangirl gushing. *gggg*

9. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    And I throw roses in your general direction. I do hope you continue to enjoy it. As has been noted elsewhere, sometimes I write a bit about the characters having quiet, internal moments. And that's just me, and it ain't ever going to change! *g*

10. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Karen, have you ever given any thought to writing a book about the villains of The Clone Wars? My favorite villain is easily Asajj Ventress, and would love to see you write about her and flesh out her character more!

11. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    I love her too, and it would be fun to play with her, I agree. At this stage I don't know what my future with SW is, but that's certainly an idea to keep in mind! And thank you so much for the vote of confidence, it's hugely appreciated.

12. Cindrollic

Cindrollic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2007

Oh, I didn't mean anything by Karen Miller as a person. In fact, she seems very lovely. And I wish more authors like her would come on the boards and talk more freely with fans. That being said, I still don't like her book.

And I agree that it isn't a "Minus" for realizim or humanizing, but too much of it can be over-bearing. I think it was put best in the "Assassin's Creed II" Game where Leonardo Da Vinch tells the character Ezio, "Too much of that which can heal us will kill us" But that is only my personal opinion.

And this is the kid you responded to. I can't login to that account for some reason so I'm using this one I forgot I even made.

13. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    Well, I've now completed the final final polish on Siege, sequel to Stealth, and returned it to the publisher. So that means my time in the GFFA has come to an end, for now. Due to a new book deal I've just done, I'll be focusing on my regular mainstream work for the next couple of years. But I'll still be around, so if you have any questions regarding the Gambit duology I'm more than happy to answer them! And of course, so many thanks for your support and enthusiasm.

14. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Don't stay away from Star wars for too long! ;)

I have a question about Stealth:

Obi-Wan says he is not on the Jedi Council, but I could have sworn he was. Do you or anyone else know exactly when this happened?

I finlly started reading about a week ago, and am about half-way through. I'm loving it!

15. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    So pleased you're enjoying it! As for Obi-Wan, he certainly does end up on the Council, as we see in ROTS, but I don't think it's this early in the war.

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Essential Chronology says that Obi-Wan was added to the Council 2 year, 6 months after the war began. I think Obi-Wan shouldn't yet be on the council based on that.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I managed to borrow the book from a friend yesterday, so I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm especially looking forward to more Bail Organa.

18. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    Sorry, I missed this before.

As far as I'm aware, the ORS lasted pretty much the duration of the war. I didn't get a correction on it from LFL, at any rate!

19. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Only about 40 pages left to read of Stealth. (Because I'm a slow reader, lots of school work, I might need glasses...)

Anyway, I must say I wish it wasn't ending! (Besides, three months is far too long of a wait for the ending of such a cliffhanger!) Somehow, siege is better than Wild Space! I love the Anakin/Obi-Wan interactions, Bail, and especially Ahsoka.

The drama of Bant'ena Fhernan is one of the main reasons I love this book so much. She adds a dynamic to the story that really hasn't een seen in the show. Also, I like how you have written Lok Durd. I hated his appearance in the show, I thought he was pretty annoying, but your version of him took his character in the show and expanded it to make him a more credible villain.

However, the character I am interested in most is Taria Damsin. I love how she isn't just anohter Jedi. Frankly, the Jedi being so hesitant to show emotion can get tiring, especially in a novel. However, you have made an unorthodox Jedi that is so fun to read about. Please, PLEASE let them find a cure for her! :_|

P.S. The book came sooooooo close to having Dex in it! Did you throw those lines in after reading my post just to mess with me? o_O

20. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Ms. Miller,

I recently finished "Stealth," and I just wanted to pop in and say, keep up the good work! I think that I liked this one as much as "Wild Space." You had a healthy dose of action, but in my mind what really set it apart was the wonderful character depth that you provided. You fleshed out the motives of everyone in the book. Additionally, I enjoyed your new additions to the cast: Taria is fantastic, and Bant'ena was chilling and darkly realistic.

I also liked how you continued to explore the relationship between Bail Organa and the Jedi. That's something that the movies didn't work too hard at doing, which was a shame because there has to be some story behind it: obviously, Yoda and Obi-Wan wouldn't have handed over Anakin's child to just anyone. After reading "Stealth" and "Wild Space," it's not hard to see why he was trusted with Leia's safety.

All in all, "Stealth" was a great start to the arc, and I'm eagerly waiting to see the conclusion!

21. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I finished the book! [face_dancing]

All my earlier comments are still the same. I liked the sheer desperation of Anakin and Obi-Wan's situation. We have yet to see a situation like that in the show.

I was sooo upset when Taria revealed her disease to Ahsoka. I already knew about it, but Ahsoka's reactions made me feel the same shock she did. Great dislogue!

I was sooo scared for Bant'ena's nephew's lives. At first I felt that Bant'ena was being selfish, creating the bioweapon to save her family. That scene really made me change my mind. I really felt for her.

It was an overall great book! I can't wait for Siege!

22. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    Hey guys! My sincere apologies again for the slow reply, but I'm swamped with another deadline right now, up against a trip to the US at the end of the month. Aaaarrgghh!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the kind words about Stealth. So so so thrilled you've enjoyed it. Now I just have to hope that Siege doesn't disappoint! I'm especially pleased that you liked my 2 original characters as much as you enjoy the boys! I had a lot of fun writing them, and giving them difficult choices and moral dilemmas.

Must go, I have another chapter to finish tonight. I just wanted you to know I'm here, and trying to keep up, and so very appreciative of your support.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If the trip to the US is to visit Random House, there's a couple of places to get a good pint near there. :)

24. KarenMiller

Mar 6, 2009
    Sadly, I don't drink. I'm a hopeless case. *g*

But if you're interested, here's the link to a phone interview I did with the lovely guys from EU Cantina.

http://www.solosound.net/eu-review/1323

25. RC_9054_Nova

RC_9054_Nova Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2010
    I've yet to read Wildspace. I'm really excited as I really like Clone War Novels. Most people seem to like it so I will too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.