main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    - The score was forgettable. Like I literally couldn't remember any of it after. There's nothing in the soundtrack besides that Vader scene with the choir that stood out in my opinion.
    - The beginning of the film took slightly too long to establish some characters, although that might have just been me impatiently wanting to get into the action. But I'll have to watch it again to judge properly.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the film and loved how different it felt to the rest of the saga. It felt much more mature than the rest of the saga. They weren't kidding when they said it's a gritty war film, it really felt like one.

I'll have to give it some time for the movie to sink in, or maybe give it a re-watch before I can pick out a few things I disliked. But overall, it was mostly a solid contribution to the saga.

Darth Smurf and JediMatteus like this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -I did like these characters, but I don't know that they were fleshed out enough to make that ending work as well as it otherwise might have for me.
    -A lot of the best/coolest shots/bits of dialogue from the trailers/TV spots, are deleted from the final film (the reshoots are pretty obvious if you see both versions).

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Please take these with a grain of salt, as I have a bad habit of becoming disappointed after stitching trailers together and not seeing the movie that I made in my mind. I'm reluctant to even post this, but perhaps the spirit of community will help my emotional hangover.

- Erso family scenes lacked emotional depth (which diminished my ability to "feel" Jyn's motivations).
    - Krennic was a sniveling lightweight. Maybe the biggest disappointment for me.
    - I appreciate the attempt at story depth, but the Saw Gerrera scenes seemed gratuitous somehow and slowed things down for me.
    - Vader's "Choke on your aspirations" line was a major eyeroll moment.
    - Tarkin & Leia. In addition to the optics, I thought it made Tarkin seem petty in his dialogue with Krennic.
    - Not sure I'm okay with the Hammerhead Corvette moment. Some cheese there.
    - The score was horrible. Too much of it, and often out of square with the tone of the scene.
    - NOT ENOUGH AT-ACTs! (Not begrudging them this story-wise, just VERY disappointed).
    - Chirrut Imwe was so overdone, he bordered on the ridiculous.
    - Seeing Vader miss the Tantive by mere seconds made his "ominous" entrance with the saber and lack of urgency seem absurd.
    - Overall, got no sense of "The Empire at the height of its power".
    - Where was this dark tone? Show me less, and make me feel more (see: Alien).

Major bright spot: I thought Diego Luna did a bang-up job. He created an excellent character with his nuance.

Yeah, I'm angry. This was my can't-miss, the Empire-centric movie I've been waiting for since ANH. It was a good movie for most, just not the movie I was expecting, and that falls on me. I'm sure I will enjoy it more with subsequent viewings, as I did with TFA.

As always, IMHO.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    My complaints are missing scenes of Krennic aboard Death Star and that epic running towards walkers from the trailers. Also the way ending didn't perfectly match to description of happenings in ANH. Some characters like Chirrut and Baze could've been developed more and some more background of Cassian would have been nice.

About music: I think I actually liked the music of RO bit more than music in TFA. Krennic's theme was best of this film and I think overall music of RO was bit different because movie itself was bit different SW-film, so I think that it was good not to have so much so powerful John Williams-music this time.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I really enjoyed the movie, but at the same time it's definitely a case where as I read through complaints/issues/etc. I can't help but nod along.

6. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    1. I thought the "I'm with the force the force is with me" stuff to be cringe worthy. I know some like it. Eh.
    2. Vader felt kind of video game cutsceney. From how he was used to what he did.
    3. The movie jumped around a bit in the beginning.
    4. I didn't love the music as much as others, but I get that it's not JW.
    5. Krennic should have gone out in a better manner. Both Krennic and Cassian survive close range blaster shots that close together? Eh. Realistically Krennic should have tumbled over the side of the tower after he was shot or lived to make a call to Tarkin, who basically blows him off and says "uh, sorry bro but you're toast".

dan1210 likes this.
  7. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    -What the hell were those bloody Death Troopers saying? Every single thing that came out of their mouths was muffled and impossible to understand. I'm still wondering if they were speaking dialogue at all. Although, the voice modifier sound itself was pretty cool. There is that.

-The first act was rushed. With all of the new characters they had to introduce, there was a lot of cutting to different planets to we can see a new character. Which would be fine, but it isn't done the smoothest.

-It took a wee while to get going. No, the first act wasn't boring, but it took a while to introduce the characters. Which, again, would be fine, but there isn't much character depth to some.

-The score is forgettable. Not awful, or horrible, as some might say, but just... okay. I can't seem to remember most of it, except for that weird music cue for Saw. Which I actually liked. Sue me. I expect I will like it more when the soundtrack is released for my enjoyment, as the same thing happened with The Force Awakens.

Overall: a very good movie with flaws. Not great, like TFA, and that has to due with the lack of character depth among some of the characters, but the ones that shine really do shine. Krennic was fun as hell to watch, and I really enjoyed seeing him onscreen playing off of the other big baddies. Jyn had the most depth to her, being the only one with a shown backstory. Cassian was the bigger surprise for me. The trailers did a good job hiding the more interesting bits about him.

I expect that I will like it more when I rewatch it.

JediMatteus likes this.
  8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think many don't even get that it's meant to be religious phrase, like a creed or a prayer. But surely it could've been done bit better.

9. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    The underused aliens,after all the hype I was expecting them to do more, especially the big white furry one with the mini gun.
    Krennic, he turned out to be a boring and incompetent villain, I was hoping he was going to put up a big fight at the end.
    Would have been nice to have had some new cool Imperial characters to match the large roaster of new Rebel characters, but instead all we got was the disappointing Krennic.

10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this Vader feeling. However for me all his scenes were eye roll moments. Well I did find the Vader bacta tank "interesting", but it seemed out of place. I mean it almost seems like it should be in a Wookieepedia explanation like "did you know Vader needs be dipped in bacta often to stay alive, click here for a video." Again this was my favorite Vader scene, but out of place in this movie.

As for the other Vader scenes, Krennic visiting him seemed out of place, but I could have delt with it if it wasn't for the cheesy line at the end.

Finally the battle scene was pretty weak. It was like: imaging bringing Bruce Lee back to life. Then propping up 8 non-fighters for him to knock out. Or going on a safari, because yer a big tough hunter and you shoot a lion in a cage. Everyone is shouting how awesome Vader was, I say they cheapened him. Hey Vader, show the fans how awesome you are, stick your lightsaber in a barrel of fish to remind them how awesome you are. Ha ha ha.

Having him kill Jyn, would have been more intimate, almost like him killing another pretty brunette girl we all love.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    does anyone else think they took down the AT-ATs a bit too easily ? I mean "that armor's too strong for blasters !" ?

12. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Monday morning quarterbacking this, I thought it would have been more awesome (although some would disagree), if at the end, his final savior act he walked and said:

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Musically tied in with "Yodas Theme", I think that would have hit the feels. Almost like a biblical reference handed down that made his way to him. Lost opportunity.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, probably, though these were different types of walkers. They were more for carrying supplies/transport I think.

14. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    What saddens me is that, after the Walkers' introduction being such a jaw-dropping moment in TESB, they were mere ineffective window dressing in R1. Almost cheap and gratuitous. I type this at work, taking a glance at my AT-ACT model, that I had so hoped would be an icon of devastation, like its successor.

No no, those aren't tears. It's just something in my eye... :(

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I keep telling myself that too! LOL! I kinda am retconing the AT-ACTs to think they have less armor. Which makes sense when Luke is surprised and said "that armor is too strong for blasters", almost like "that last battle you guys told me about, you said they blew up pretty easily".

Still to this day, that seen in ESB where you hear the AT-AT foot bass, then the rebel zooms in with his gritty electrobenoculars and you see the AT-AT for the first time still gives me the shivers.

The AT-ACTs were blowing up so fast I couldn't keep track.

JediMatteus likes this.
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so what does AT-ACT stand for ?

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I get what you are saying but they whip some butt too. When Baze fired the rocket and hit it's neck, you could tell they all thought it was going to go down...but the Walker simply laughed at them. Keep in mind the rebels were hitting the walkers a lot more firepower then the T-47 airspeeders had which begs the question why didn't the Rebel Alliance secretly send a couple X-Wings around the Empire's large scale assault with Norman Schwarzkopf's famous "left hook" strategy but then you remember it's a movie. :D

J_Girl and dan1210 like this.
  18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    All terrain armored cargo transport.

19. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Am I the only one that didn't like the Death Star explosions? Jedha City seemed like it was only 10 miles or so from Gerrera's hideout, but it seemed like it took the shockwave 2 minutes to get there. Shockwaves move at the speed of sound. That explosion (and the firing on Scarif) took far too long to propagate than they should have.

I guess maybe I shouldn't expect realism and physics to work the same in that Galaxy, though.

Riven_JTAC, J_Girl and light_sabe_r like this.
  20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I thought about it but then decided that it's SW let's just throw physics out of the window and watch the show :p

21. nisomer

nisomer Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2004
    -The feel of the two factions felt the complete opposite of what it should have been - the Empire was too weak. The Rebels were too strong.
    -Why weren't the Star Destroyers firing in the final space battle?
    -Vader...didn't feel like Vader. None of it did. It's like they didn't know how to write dialogue for him, didn't understand his mannerisms, etc. The ending was over done. Vader usually let's his troops do the dirty work.
    -Leia was unnecessary and really poorly done.

JediMatteus likes this.
  22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Write John Knoll.

Seriously... don't know if he has a twitter or if you could find an email or maybe just send it c/o LFL because I guarantee he has an answer for it and that he's done the math on it. He admits that they fudge stuff here and there, but for example he still had a complete explanation for how the Death Star could appear that size in comparison to the planet (moon) and how they took it all into account when creating the shots.

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

One of the biggest mistakes people make is building such specific expectations. When you do that, it makes it hard for anything real to meet them.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah- but I suppose these construction models had worse armoring.

I liked Krennic but I agree about aliens and Krennic could've had more good moments. I was also surprised that Moroff didn't get chance to show some badassness with his minigun.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    + No opening crawl
    + No Star Wars theme
    + Boring music that felt like it was for a nonexistent Star Wars game
    + The destruction of every new planet we visit
    + The fact none of the team survive
    + Krennic is a slimey weasal versus Tarkin 2.0 meets Thrawn
    + CGI Necromancy really creeps me out
    + The darkening of the Alliance didn't make me feel their triumph was as worth it as it should have been

JediMatteus likes this.