main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    At CIII Zahn mentioned it'd be mostly focused on the Big Three/Chewie and Mara, with Vader only as a cameo, didn't he?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Is that confirmed, Ive Got Two Legs?

How dare they make a hardcover in the old trilogy period we're our sacred heroes are nice and safe from even a scratch. SQ was bad enough, a past timeline book when we had so many after it already. That's one of the kosher signs of cows: chews cud, brings it back up to mouth, chews cud, brings it back up to mouth, and just as disgusting unless you're a cow . . . and yet another generic save-the-day Movie Cast adventure. I had nascent hopes it show more original faces . . . but apparently the original faces are all we're fated to get for the future. No wonder I don't bother with this repetitive crap much.

Does Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms show the same few names each time too? Lawson's wedgie, if this is true, he's really a waste of Ent paper. His every book this decade is almost the same material each time!

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I don't think it's very wise to take Parck's words at face value, even if it's the GFFA.<

>I don't think it's very wise to take Parck's words at face value, even if it's the GFFA. <

Very true. Parck also called Doriana the "grand architect" of Palpatine's rise to power, and Zahn himself showed us that wasn't true. In any case, Thrawn was ultimately duped by his master, Palpatine, who (in a bit of Sidious-style maneuvering) apparently arranged for Thrawn's Noghri to learn of the Honoghr betrayal, thus ensuring punishment for both aliens.

I'd still like to see the origins of Palpatine's little team of advisors. Doriana, Pestage, and Dangor have all been with him since he was a senator. I can't help but think that they must have served in a similar role to that of Padme's handmaidens...protectors, assistants, and the occasional decoy...

We still don't know how Doriana dies, which is something I'd be interested in hearing about. Zahn should write more short stories to tie up these loose ends.

TC

4. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Not sure; all I know is it's what I read somewhere back in August, either here or at the official site. That and as someone already mentioned, Thrawn won't be in it.

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Maybe we'll find out what happened to Doriana in Allegiance?

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is why I worry about the future of star wars eu especially in literature. Certain eras are already way to saturated when you combine the comic books, video games, short stories, and in a certain instance animation/cartoon. How many times can there be a big galaxy conquering event? The only thing that I can think of is re-writing new material. Its gotten to the point that you can't really add another novel in-between the prequels. Thats way over staurated, the OT era almost the same thing when you add the comic books. Shadow of the Empire appears to be this big event that takes it right up to ROTJ. How many more stories of the rebels running around hiding from the Empire can you really have? How many self discoveries can Luke go through? Time will tell, but I'm already starting to worry.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Shadows of the Empire was so far AFTER most of the post-ESB/pre-ROTJ stories that we had that it wasn't even funny...

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    No era of SW history can ever be overstaturated, so long as authors have the creativity to move away from the 'main' characters.

Thrity thousand years, millions of planets and quadrillions of people makes for infinite stories.

- Trip

9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I just got my copy of Outbound Flight today. (must not look @ spoilers!!!) I was re-reading Survivors Quest this week beacuase it's been so long since I read it.
    I just wanted to be clear, the survivors said the Jedi destroyed them and betrayed them but it was never quite revealed in Survivors Quest the backgroad behind this, right? Hopefully this is put together in Outbound Flight?

10. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    More or less, from the nature of the spoils I've seen.

11. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Well Ive just learned that apparantly Outbound Flight won't be available in Sydney (or at least Galaxy Books) until April!!! And here I thought after TSW, we were starting to be on the same level as the US

12. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Man I feel for you. I've been anticipating this book for a while now, I couldn't wait three more months.

13. Matth_Katarn

Matth_Katarn Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2004
    Moreover, we even know that Sate Pestage is the closest advisor for Palpatine, since he was alone among members of the Inner Circle to know the entire goal to his master concerning his return on Byss (The Kaal Connection and of course Dark Empire). If Doriana does'nt certainly know that Palpy and Sidious are the same man, Pestage knows that, and in my view know all secrets about his Master... ;)

Concerning Ars Dangor, Janus Greejatus, Sim Aloo, Kren Blista-Vanee (other members of the Inner Circle seen in ROTJ), we could think they know the truth too.

But why Palpatine did anything in order to protect his Empire against the Far Outsiders ? The answer may be concern the secrets he hides on Byss ^^"

14. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    So the Yuuzhan Vong left, went round the galactic block a few times and parked?

15. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Doriana and Pestage have been with him since he was a senator (both seen in Cloak of Deception), and Janus Greejatus and Sim Aloo have been with him since he was chancellor (both seen in Labyrinth of Evil). Crueya Vandron (an advisor since his chancellor days) and Armand Isard (for obvious reasons) would also probably know.

The Praetorite Vong hadn't arrived yet; these Vong are still the advance scouts. Though too bad Nom didn't have a cameo.

16. Amused knight

Amused knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2000
    Picked up my copy at a local bookstore this afternoon. I am about midway through it so far. Enjoying it very much.

17. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    I have not received my copy yet.Yet I wanted to agree about the over saturation of the stories.Everything from marvel comics, til now is not possible.When did our heroes sleep,eat,take a crap(did yoda ever pee??)so really I feel halt needs to take place.The only time period thats a little hopeful is the 19 years between episode 3 to 4.That interests me some what.As far as NJO KILL IT!!!Nothing will recapture the magic unless you get rid of all known heroes start fresh and bring out a new sith lord not connected to anything we now know.

18. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    I don't think Nom Anor would have been old enough to have a cameo.

Better make that his dad or something. (or his ma, for added political correctness)

19. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Is there anything that says how old Nom was? Or how long Vong lifespan was at all?

20. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I *thought* Vong lifespan was not much different from humans, if at all. If that's the case, a Nom cameo would have been highly unlikely. It would have ruled all to see Daddy or Mommy though.

Sudooku likes this.
  21. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Vong lifespan is said to be very long, because they're built very tough, and their techno-organic science has developed a very good capability to manipulate their own biology...

But I think Nom Anor is too young, even so...

- The Imperial Ewok

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Just finished reading the book and I found it very enjoyable. Certainly more fun than SQ and better explained as well I should say.
    Most of the spoilers in previous pages are fairly accurate but it is more than they make it sound.
    All in all a return to form to Zahn and lets hope Sue Rostoni or homever at Lucasfilm/Del-Rey etc etc puts there dislike of Zahn aside to allow him to write that Ben Skywalker novel and more Starwars books period in the near future.

btw when is someone going to get an up to date interview from Zahn soon???

Sudooku likes this.
  23. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Yes, it's indirectly G-canon. Remember how Luke grimaced when he tried the stew at Yoda's hut? [face_mischief]

Anyway, just bought OBF today. The first chapter is a cracker-jack.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Just thought I would respond to Mike's question in regards to getting OBF on the latest news page on TFN. Its not a special advanced copy or knowing anyone in Lucasfilm etc etc.
    Its merely Ottakers book store in Chelmsford UK selling them early. I picked one up Saturday morning and pretty much read through and finished it Sunday evening. It was un-put downable.

I thought it was a good return to form for Zahn and if Del-rey were smart they would have him write more Stawars books since he is argubly the most famous of the EU authors and argubly sells the most.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

It's been said barking Vong can live up to 150yrs, three average human spans. The words, of course, are interpretable.