main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official STAR WARS GALAXIES: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    *Visits IMDb photo gallery for Elisha Cuthbert*

:eek:

*Changes mind*

[face_devil]

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Excellent. I knew you'd come around.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And that is why Kim Bauer remains on the show, cougars and all [face_batting]

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Ehh, can't say I'm too impressed by those pictures of Elisha Cuthbert..... I just don't do blondes.

-Paul

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It was okay, I guess. My main problem was that it felt like I was reading more of a sequence of events than an actual story--most of the video games I've played manage a better story than this. Nym's cameo was marred by the fact that his dialogue sounded just like a bad cutscene. In fact, the whole layover on Lok seemed pointless--Finn's a member of the Rebellion, why does he have to do a favor for a pirate like Nym in order for Han Solo to take him to the Rebel base? And what connection does Finn have to the Gray Talon group on Dantooine? That scene read as though he were about to betray Dusqe (sp?) to them--but he didn't. What's up with that? And does anyone else think the book should be renamed "Star Wars Galaxies: When Animals Attack"? I know this is based on a game, but after the third attack I wanted a shoot-out, a dog fight, a landspeeder chase--anything but another dumb animal with too many teeth.

And how about Finn? We know that he's been working with the Rebellion for a long time; but why hasn't he betrayed them before this? What's his history with Leia, or the Inquisitor, or Vader? Also, who didn't see his betrayal coming? It was so obvious that I started to laugh every time a heavy-handed hint was dropped.

All that said, the book *did* have some great moments with Vader--a little of him goes a long way. :)

TC

6. recurit03

recurit03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    One thing I liked about this book is the fear that Finn showed, I mean we are used to Leia,Luke and Han just talking back to Darth Vader like he was some type of Chump, meeting him is an experience that will scare you and mark you for the rest of your life.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It took me a long time before I could get into RoD, but when I did, I enjoyed the book a lot.

At times the book seemed kinda childish and I wish the font size was smaller, but what can one do?

My favorite character in the book was Tendau, for some reason I could identify with the Ithorian and then of course there is Dusque, who I could identify with. The only thing I don't get about Tendau is why would an Ithorian work for the Empire? Could'nt he see how bad the Empire was? Granted he was pronounced to be a traitor, but was he really a traitor the the Empire if Finn arranged for his death? I also don't understand why the Empire would even employ the Ithorian since it was so full of bigotry and specieism?

Oh, and one other thing, if Luke and Leia are 18 in ANH then how the hell can Leia be in her 20s if RoD takes place a year after Yavin?

8. wesgirl

wesgirl Jedi Master star 1

Sep 30, 2001
    A nice , quick read. This feels like the Star Wars Novel I was comfortable with before the NJO--action, adventure, danger, whew, everyone is STILL ALIVE. Perhaps this is GL's pacifier for those who were too traumatized by the harshness and darkness of the NJO novels and needed a happily-ever-after denial filler before the real STUFF hits the fan with the Clone Wars novels and EPIII :)

9. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    Still not sure if I like, I'm about halfway through. I like the style but have got used to the more epic components of the NJO. I feel it does look back on the old Bantam era books, it's fun, but there's still something I can't put my finger that isn't quite right.

10. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Maybe the fact that it contains probably the most unoriginal plot we've seen to date in the EU ? Or maybe it was the fact that all of the characters were basically one dimensional ?

11. Voronica

Voronica SW Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine Author VIP

Sep 2, 2003
    Well, I am glad to see that many of you enjoyed the book. :) Interesting that some of you noted that the story was more upbeat than some of the other SW books. To be honest, I had a few, darker scenes which were actualy cut because they were deemed a little too dark. I stand by my decison to write them and stand by my editor's decision to remove them.

FYI: For those of you that may not have seen Haden's intro to the book on the official Star Wars site, the characters I created will be incorporated into the game some time in the future as NPCs like Luke and the others.

12. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    That's pretty cool, having your characters brought into the game. It would be nice to see an official picture of Dusque [face_love], though of course I'd have to go out and buy the Galaxies subscription card. :(

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have in mind that was really dark? Why were the dark scenes cut out? I'm not sure if you are allowed to answer those two questions, but I thought I'd ask. It can't hurt can it? :p

13. Voronica

Voronica SW Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine Author VIP

Sep 2, 2003
    In the next issue of Star Wars Insider magazine, there will be a short story I wrote with Dusque and Tendau prior to the events of RoD, so if you can pick up issue #74 (or thumb through it at the bookstore), there should be a drawing of Dusque for you to peek at and see a version of her.

Since the final decision was to remove the scenes, they are gone and forgotten. But you were right...it didn't hurt to ask. :)

I also saw that several of you noticed there was a lot of interaction with the local wildlife in the story. When the novel was being plotted and written, I had to basically use only the elements included in the game. At that point, there were no vehicles that players could use (e.g. swoop bikes or landspeeders)except for shuttles. So that did narrow down some of my choices for some scenarios. But animals were everywhere and still are a big component of the game.

Take care,
    V.

14. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Thanks for the headsup about a short story concerning Dusqe in Insider. I'll definatly go out and buy a copy of the magazine for the story. :)

In all honosty, I liked all of the wildlife that was in the book. It gave me a better glimpse of how nature is on Correlia and Dantooine among other places. That was probably one of the best things about the book, all of the animals and what they look like and how they act. I am perfectly happy that there were no swoops or landspeeders in the game. You hardly ever read about GFFA characters walking, it was a nice change of pace.

Perhaps you could tell me why the coverart was some screenshot of the game and not an actual picture that all the other books recieve?

Do you know if LFL is planning on hiring other authors to write Galaxies stories? Perhaps even hiring you to do another one? :)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Perhaps you could tell me why the coverart was some screenshot of the game and not an actual picture that all the other books recieve?<<

Sue covered this in the VIP thread on TOS back when the cover was revealed, i believe. I think she said they went with the screenshot to further the implied relationship to the game.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Since a sequel is clearly set up, will there be one?

It would be a shame not to as everyone is established and it's not a bad cast really.

My view? A good, quick read, perfect for the train, which I got it for! :)

JB

17. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    A short story could be interesting. Now all I have to do is hope my new subscriptions starts by then. Doesnt look like Ill be getting #73 anytime soon. [face_plain]

18. Viridis

Viridis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2004
    Voronica - I enjoyed reading your book. I really liked your take on the Vader scenes! Just like in the movies I had no idea how to expect him to react to the interactions of his minions! :)

After spending so much time investing in the NJO story line it was nice to have a quick stand alone read, and one that took place in during the classic Trilogy!

I was really interested in getting this book to get a feel for the Galaxies game. Alas, my computer is not compatible with the game so this is my only real interaction with it, but I felt you did a great job conveying what players have to go through to complete missions and grow as their SW alter egos! Thanks for letting me play the game vicariously through your book! :D

Congrats! I Look forward to seeing some more of your work in the future! (Thanks for the Insider tip. I'll look for that)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I finally finished ROD last night- all in all, it was a fun read. There's really very little at all to complain about. It had a great adventure feel to it, and the focus on the xenobiologist angle was refreshing. Most of the cameos worked quite well. And you really can't tell it's a video game spin-off, unless you actually play the game (many of the elements people complain about being like a video game aren't even based on the game).

Oh, and Nym, as always, rocks- I can't wait to read about him again in a future book, assuming we get further SWG titles.

Only downside to the title was the somewhat predictable nature of the betrayal at the end, but at least that sets up interesting possibilities for future storylines.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I thought Finn's betrayal was rather predictable too. But overall, it was a good book, with plenty of room for sequels.

21. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Yep and Naboo was cool too.

I enjoyed it alot too. So what if the end was predictable I mean if you think about it all Star Wars books are predictable.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, although the ending was pretty predictable after a while, it was a fun and informative reading.

23. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "Only downside to the title was the somewhat predictable nature of the betrayal at the end, but at least that sets up interesting possibilities for future storylines."

Yeah I saw Finn's being an Imp agent around the time of Tendau's execution so I was well prepared for that by the time it happened, but the rather poignant way she ended the book really made up for that false-surprise. I really felt for both Finn and Dusque in their last scenes.
    So I guess it makes me a melodramatic sentimentalist, but I really liked the story and hope to read more later.

Any sequels they do with Dusque and Finn should have some pretty interesting possible scenarios occuring between them. I'm looking forward to reading them.

24. Sith_Messenger

Sith_Messenger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, the short story written by Veronica was published in the newest issue of SWI- set just prior to ROD, involving Dusque and Tendau in search of the Krayt Graveyard on Tatooine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.