main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2008
    What about him using a Fallanassi Force illusion about his fighter exploding? Simple, isn't it?

What I don't like about Denning and other SW authors is something more technological: they abuse of the use of old ship models. And I am pointing to Denning this time because he was the one that wrote the DN series, but instead of using or inventing new ship models, he chose instead to go back to the ageing Victory SD. I would like to see the return some day of Michael P. Kube Mc-Dowell just to see him use the ships of the New Class program, that were mostly left aside after his trilogy, and using other more obscure ship models that were just as popular as ISDs during the GCW and beyond.

2. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Forgive my ignorance, but it seems that peoples opinion of Denning is rather more Jaded these days, is this simply my perception or something else?
    I have not read the NJO save the first 3 or so books a:confused: nd have read his books in FotJ... could someone please explain?

3. Doc_Jedi

Doc_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2009
    I don't know if Troy Denning is reading this thread nowadays, but I just wanted to say I enjoy his books immensely and the Dark Nest trilogy along with Invincible are my favorite Star Wars books. I especially enjoy the brutal action scenes and the cheeky humor. Can't wait for Abyss, keep it up Mr. Denning!

4. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Well, he's been on a "torture Ben" kick throughout LOTF, even more than other Allston or Traviss. It could just be the timing, since Omas' death fit right in after Sacrifice.

5. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't think Torturing Ben is his fault like you said, the timing fits with his books, and wanywas, I liked the torturing Ben parts... so why would that make people not like hiim as much?

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I just wanted to drop in an thank Troy for dropping in to Lit and mentioning that he has looked through the Abyss review thread. I think it was a very nice thing to do.:)

7. Tailone

Tailone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Hi Robimus,

Yes, I DO look through the review threads . . . and a lot of other threads when I really should be writing! But it's a blast, and at heart I'm still as much a fan as a pro . . . gotta tell ya, there are so many times when I'm itching to post something, but then I think: "better not -- it's not quite the same coming from one of the writers."

Hmmm --- maybe I should just get an assumed identity :)? (Now, don't take that the wrong way. I DON'T have one -- just seems like cheating, somehow.)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments. I enjoy reading them (well, MOST of them, anyway ;))

-- Troy

8. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    Dear Mr. Denning,

I didn't know you were reading this forum, otherwise I would have posted here sooner. :) Of all the writer who published books about Luke and Co. in the post ROTJ timeline, I like your books best, because you are the only one who actually made me care about these characters. I'm rather new to the Star Wars EU and a big fan of the prequels - while I've read lots of the 'later' books, most of them only were 'nice' on my personal scale, I never felt really engaged, never really was hooked to the point of having to know how things would turn out now... With the exception of Tatooine Ghost. It's right up there with my other favourite Star Wars novels and it was the first book that made me think that the EU might still hold some promise for me after finishing all prequel timeframe novels.

I've also read the Dark Nest trilogy, but while the scenes with Luke finding out about Padmé were really great and while I liked the trilogy as whole, I was sorry that this plot was relegated to the background so much. There wasn't even a visit to Naboo - that made me sad. But the trilogy had something else I had been missing in other novels - Force philosophy, something which seems to get expanded on in FOTJ, a series I'm reading with great interest and enjoyment. And a fangirl squee^^ at every prequel reference. ;) So, I wanted to thank you for making the books about the "big three" so enjoyable for me and for bringing in the stuff I'm reading Star Wars for.

--Lil

PS: If - in the far, far future after FOTJ - you might happen to write a novel set during the prequels or the Dark Times, I would be exstatic. :)

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    This didn't bother me either, but because I knew Luke wasn't dead. When Anakin Solo was killed, it was written in a way that made me believe he was truly dead - I pathetically had to force myself to keep reading. There being no Force ghost has always been strange to me, kind of a prelude to his possible return. It was nice to hear Denning at the panel conversation say that the idea of Anakin returning was tossed around; perhaps if they come up with a better way to do it, we'll get him back in the storyline. I don't know how many people are like me, but the way they do it is immaterial to me - deus ex machina, screwing with continuity or canon, I don't care; it would just give the entire EU a boost. The funny thing is when Jacen died, like with Luke, I didn't believe it for a minute. I was 100% sure he wasn't really dead - again due to how it was written. So I guess I should have feared more for Luke after all, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.