main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Yeah, there's that thing we were telling you about."

I almost fully agree-
    but I think Isaac being able to EMP all the Kaylon onboard was a little too convenient. That seems like something the security crew would have tried during the initial incursion, to some degree.

Other than that, well done. They even used Yaphit incredibly well. It'll be interesting to see where they take the Krill thread from here.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved this two parter It was really good! I love that this show can be hilarious one minute then the next minute be way more deep then any Star Trek iteration!

seeker_two likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watching Part 1 almost as the credits rolled I saw two Trek vets on the script, Brannon Braga and Andre Bormanis so I sort of got a Borg vibe that entire time that they were going to turn. Also, for those who didn't notice or the crazy cliffhanger swept it up, Issac's speech is actually Sally Field's speech from her Oscars. But anyway, the ending of the 1st episode was fantastic (BoBW epic cliffhangerness) and the VFX wizardry and Issac's stuff in Part 2 was great (both directed by Jon Cessar who has literally entire seasons of 24 under his belt. The airlock sequence was great, if 24 ever goes to space it would play out alot like that) . Maybe that's why the show was so bottle episode heavy for awhile there with smaller VFX, they had to save the budget on this, which totally worked.

I did give it a 10% chance they may totally wipe Issac from the show forever and, to be fair, for a long time they did seem to be leaning into it. Although, while people may complain about it being reset buttoned, this has greatly changed his character and the universe is a lot of ways. Also, if anything, at least it wraps up Issac's "research" plotline, that was either something that needed to be resolved or could have been a running bit forever.

I'm still stumped how they picked Issac out of the pile of robot bodies, didn't his blue didoes go dark as well? and what happened to Norm McDonald's goo guy Yaphet, I'm assuming he exited Issac at some point, probably didn't have the VFX for it. they did make a point that Issac wasn't involved in any biological genocide so that's a plus

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Abadacus likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not only that, but the phrasing implies he isn't the only Kaylon to be built after the genocide (which makes sense, if expansion of their species was the reason for it in the first place). That suggests that maybe the Kaylon could become divided and have that faction side with Isaac eventually.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's possible, although I get the feeling the Kalon only made Issac if only it would make him unique and sorta explain why he has blue eyes/diodes instead of the genocidal red eyed folks. But I am totally okay with Kalon civil war for individualism, way to do Descent but without the underwhelming 2nd parter.

Maybe when the Kalon commit genocide the eyes flip over to red hahahah

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we can see orange/yellow eyes in the Tertiary next to the red eyes of the Primary, so I don't know if Isaac is unique or not by just his blue eyes. He was the only one we saw with them, true- but they could be back on the plane and only the more paranoid red eyes populated the location where the Orville docked.

EDIT- Not the same scene I was thinking of, but amusing while showing the differences:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Trekyards interviewing the actor who plays Isaac. Interesting detail at the end: Identity was the original Season 1 finale that was held off last season when they got renewed, in order to help build up to that point more in the second season.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    “It’s a simulation- it’s just like our cowboy program or Bortis’s sex lagoon.”

[face_laugh]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    dp4m likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The best line this episode, because it takes you a second:

"I'm sorry about the Dick van Dyke one. I didn't know who he was, and I had to go with what I had."

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting, did they shoot Identity Part 1 while Salton Hage was still on the show? Obviously that means they would have to reshoot scenes with her replacement.

edit: it looks like here that they may have had the script in development for S1 they didn't shoot it back then

https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/Identity,_Pt._1#Production

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Digging through some links there, it appears that "Primal Urges" (the Bortus simulator addiction episode) is the one that was delayed from Season 1 into Season 2 (though they reshot a couple scenes so that elements would match the set and cast for the second season).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The cracks between the Moclans and the Union are furthered in the most recent episode. I rather liked the debate amongst Mercer and the Admiralty over the issue and the Moclan role in events. I suspect we may see that become a factor further developed as far as the Union not relying on them as exclusively in the future.

Also, not sure if it's an existing quote but the one line "The history of moral progress can be measured by the expansion of fundamental rights to those who have been denied them." stood out as particularly memorable.

Didn't think the Dolly song worked as well as a juxtaposition againstthe action at the end but enjoyed it's integration otherwise.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    last episode I loved how Ed was flummoxed by the time travel stuff and he says he got a B+ in time travel theory class cuz nobody gets an A. Solid comedy scene with Bortus and his mate at the simulator dance club. ("We're just going to stay here and blow our brains out." "Okay!" "The night is ours!") Also I kept wondering if alt. Kelly was a wig or a different hairstyle? And interesting ending and if it's one timeline or a fragment timeline, did alt. Kelly not have her mind wiped so knew her relationship with Ed would turn out wrong, or she just had a feeling (semi-wipe), or maybe his first call after their first date always ended like that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it was intuition caused by the mind wipe not working 100%. I really liked that twist. It was nicely set up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Had to be a wig. She had bangs for alt Kelly and none for regular Kelly. That’s not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    What's happened to Alara ? she was the only character I liked.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She left the ship earlier in the season to spend more time with her family on her homeworld.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The last episode I saw was where they find an iphone from 2015 . It was awful , don't think I've enjoyed any of this season . the first year started weak but got better .

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The iPhone one wasn't bad, IMO- it basically took a couple concepts we've seen in Trek (creating holo simulations of people based on personal records [Brahms], how real an AI/simulation can be to someone, etc) and explored them more deeply. Plus it added in the more unique combination of seeing how the removal of one aspect of someone's life can alter everything else about them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    ma_petite and Abadacus like this.
  20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Spent the last 2 days binging from eps 3 to 13 just in time to watch tonight’s finale live.

GOOD STUFF!

So much I could post about but I ain’t cause the commercial break is over!

21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Surprisingly, Orville season two was consistently better than most Star Trek.

BigAl6ft6 and Abadacus like this.
  22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I really liked that but that was a HORRIBLE finale lol esp if that is the end. I hope S3 gets the official go soon.

I had a blast binge watching these latest 12 eps! Eps 8&9 without a doubt we’re the best of the series for me. Perfect ode to Descent pts 1&2 and TNG & DS9 in general. Amazing cgi.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That scavenger ship had to be a repurposed/CG-kit-bashed Daedalus from Stargate...

Great finale. Really integrates the season's focus of character relationships into the plot very well- probably better than Trek has ever done (but, then, Trek never really tried to do that to this degree since it was always reluctant, as a franchise, to move away from focusing on their sci-fi plots).

They keep adding more surprising qualities to the Kaylon that make them a valid threat as well.

And, usually, I'm the first one to complain about recent shows and films making starships that function underwater but given how much the Orville looks like a sea creature, it is too satisfying of a visual for me to really complain about it.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved the last two episodes of season 2 And I also loved the Cell Phone episode. One thing I really like is you really can feel for the characters they are so relatable that's what makes it way better then any Trek! The Orville does Trek better then Trek!
    does anyone know if the show is getting renewed anytime soon?

I just bought this on Amazon,
    [​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh I guess the finale episode answered my own question about alt. Kelly. It seemed very inspired by Voyager's Timeless but not a beat for beat rip off, kind of like how the Kaylon episode seemed Best of Both Worlds inspired. So good to see them taking inspiration but not directly copying it over.