main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The PGA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    In the title of the thread, sure... I was talking about completely out of context, hearing nothing more than the words "US Open" ;)

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh, yea. i'll give you that.

yay for miscomprehension...

:snoopy

3. Tommy_Docherty

Tommy_Docherty Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 2009
    Woods to win by 1. You heard it here first.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    And Day 1 comes to a close... without very much golf having been played. Really ugly weather, and it creates doubt as to whether the second round can even begin tomorrow afternoon.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Mike Weir is leading!

6. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Has anyone been watching the Open or just been getting updates online? Just curious. I am suprized the scores are so low. Weir is leading at -6. Maybe it's just me but the greens seem to be giving alot of players trouble.

... Toms just shot 6 on the Par 3 8th hole. Ouch... Sorry David

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The question now is: will Tiger make the cut?

8. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    Tiger usually finishes pretty strong so I will say yes, he'll make the cut. However, I wouldn't be suprized if he didn't.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think he has missed it only once or twice.

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Not sure how much they will get into today. Sounds like showers are on the way.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    With most of the final round still to play, Glover and Barnes are tied for the lead at -7, followed by a bunch of players at -2. Tiger currently at even par.

I could see Tiger pulling out a third place finish (or even potentially second if either Glover or Barnes falls apart, though I think this is unlikely), but that's about it. I'm hoping Barnes pulls it out over Glover.

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    At this point, my rooting interest goes to David Duval. He's had a few bad years of golf recently, and its great to see him challenging again. I'd love to see him win this, it would be a huge comeback story.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I've been pulling for Duval as well, though I don't really see anyone topping Barnes/Glover at this point. Duval really would be a comeback story for the ages, though.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Duval has some emotional problems, so that the necessary mental toughness is simply impossible for him.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Remember, Duval's been at the top before. He's had the toughness, and he can get it back.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fisher from Britain is playing the best of these last few groups, but my boy Phil has still got a shot. I swear those 3 foot putts eat him alive, they did at Augusta, and he just missed one on 15.

Wait and see what Glover does when he hits the 15th, and I think if he makes par, he's got a good shot to hang on. Tough for Barnes, I feel sick for him.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Arrr! Tough bogey by Duval at 17. Glover's 2 up now, with 2 to play, its his to win.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, Glover's in excellent shape right now. Today's scores look more like what was expected at Bethpage - lots of black, not much red.

Also, heels - welcome back! Long time no see.

EDIT: and Glover has now won his first major.

19. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    Glovers Family had to buy their tickets on eBay? What? He couldn't help them out? Kinda funny.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That does seem odd.. where'd you hear that?

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That was probably one of the most interesting final rounds I've watched, good to see a fellow South Carolina (well Clemson) boy take the title, especially after the start he had yesterday. Barnes and Duval both make next year's Masters, which is great for them both. I was also very impressed by Mahan, even though he faltered at the end. I think he has got a major ahead of him.

I usually tell my buddies after watching Phil collapse how hard it is to be a Mickelson fan, because he always has such extreme highs, such as today's birdie-eagle, and the 7-under he shot on the front nine at Augusta--and then when he has to, he can't drop the pars. But, for obvious reasons, I was just happy to see him out there today. Listening to him say "we" when he talks about Amy's upcoming treatment definitely proves his head's in the right spot.

Tiger sounded pretty upset with himself at his press conference. That's real bad news for everyone else heading to the British at Turnberry next month.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Listening to him say "we" when he talks about Amy's upcoming treatment definitely proves his head's in the right spot.

I agree - and it also shows just how important this is to both of them, which is as it should be. Very few would use the word 'we' in that context, though.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Glover's a rather drab winner, unfortunately.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I agree. Even though he's kind of the hometown boy here and local sports radio is going nuts, it kind of feels like it did when Immelman won the Masters.

25. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    So how bought the Clemson product taking the US Golf Open!? Yeah your right heels, the local radio guys are going insane. They have been talking about these former Clemson golfers forever (another in DJ Trahan) and until this they hadn't deilvered.