main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Profanity in Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by QuiWanKenJin, May 30, 2018.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No ****.

Darth Smurf, 11-4D, Seagoat and 6 others like this.
  2. Lord Keaveney

Lord Keaveney Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2018
    Never considered damn, hell or ass remotely close to profanity. You've very, very tame standards if you do to be honest.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    This thread is full of poodoo :)

Lando's, "Oh Shhhhhhhhh" was very Radio Edit Childish Gambino ("Shhhhhhh" is used on radio edits of many rap songs).

But I think the movies need less Earth English expletives and more in-universe cuss words to add to the fanbase lexicon.

Skydoll, BigAl6ft6 and Ridley Solo like this.
  4. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Well the difference is pg13 rating, which has been the hallmark of the new franchise. ROTS was rated such for the first time and due to the nature of content, which was harsh. Traditionally, Han was the usual source of said curse words, which were usually confined to Hell and damn. So I didn't blink in regards to it on his own film. Ass doesn't stray too far in my opinion. Too much more, though, and it doesn't fit SW anymore.

I feel this way about other words and references as well. For me "God speed rebels" in TLJ didn't fit, especially when someone said "May the force be with you" half a beat earlier.

5. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    I personally am not easily offended by swearwords and don't object to their inclusion in science fiction. There is a question mark over how much of this kind of language should be in a family film, of course (and yes, I know it's PG13). For my part, I don't object to the words "damn", "hell" or "arse" even in family films. Now, that aside, it could be argued that even if swearing in such films isn't itself objectionable, it should be avoided to attain a certain consistency of language and style with the existing canon.
    But still more important, in my view, is that, as someone said, the language shouldn't "take us out of the movie". Now, for me, this isn't just a question of swearing but any expression that is excessively associated with modern slang or modern colloquialism. Things like "[x] said/did what, now", "wait, what", and "big-ass" all fall into that category, for me.
    In the original films people often spoke in a timeless style, and sometimes in an elevated or slightly archaic or poetic style: "it is I who allowed the Alliance to learn the location of the shield generator", etc.
    And we got some great SW-universe words such as "nerf-herder". There is no need to bring in words like "bastard" when you can use "nerf-herder" or the like!
    I also agree with those who find "God speed" jarring. True, in ANH Luke says "oh God" but that's more of an exclamation. "God speed" sticks out more somehow. And I'm sure there are monotheistic peoples in parts of the galaxy, but "God speed" just sounds too much like something a monotheistic earthling would say.

Blackhole E Snoke and Plan741 like this.
  6. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Honestly any curse words that have been said in the movies have never bothered me. When they say "hell" it does take me out of the film for a brief moment to wonder what is "hell" to these characters? What is their version of it? In any case, I can accept it being said. However, when she says, "God speed Rebels," it just takes me so far out of the movie because they've never referenced a God before and it seems like the closest thing to one is the Force. So why wouldn't she say, "May the Force be with you, Rebels"? Unless there is some kind of Force God that has never been mentioned before.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    people who worry about swearing "should" be worried about their kids hearing and copying it. the kids won't even notice. and guess what? if your kids say a curse word tell the not to. it's called being a parent.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Look as long as we are not hearing what the **** in Star Wars movie I think we should be good.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Using "God Speed" didn't bother me. Considering in ANH, Tarkin refers to Vader as the last of an ancient religion. So to me, that would imply there are religions other than the Force. Not that the Force, or being a Jedi or Sith, constitutes a religion, but may be viewed as such by non-Force users. And considering the time frame of TLJ, I'm sure a lot of people either didn't believe in, or never heard of the Force, so it's plausible they would believe in other religions.

Sarge, Outsourced and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    lol damn isn't a swear word, this isn't 1674. I don't think anything in a Star Wars movie would count as a legitimate swear word, and anyway, they're words. Just collections of letters or sounds, nothing special about them.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    actually damn, hell, etc are curse words but the language and what is or isn't acceptable are constantly shifting. also people's beliefs often dictate what they find offensive. that being said, sw is still family friendly and the pg-13 rating reflects the content of the film so people shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I work with military pilots and sailors. I don't really notice profanity at any level.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I also noticed the increased profanity in Solo, but heard more in TLJ. And yes, at times it felt forced. In a PG-13 movie it was actually rather tame, but the feeling that Star Wars is moving away from the family-friendly fare that I can share with my young nieces and nephews bothers me just a little. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but my family and I don't want the kids saying those kinds of words. My niece, for instance, is four and repeats literally everything she hears.

This won't keep me from sharing the movies, but like with ROTS, it just means waiting until the kids are a little older to show it to them. I saw ANH when I was three. Looks like those days are over. :(

Sarge likes this.
  14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Han has said "moof-milker" twice on-screen.
    Mods: Am I allowed to type that insulting word? If it's a TOS violation, please remove it.

15. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Nah I know there are other religions in SW. And the word God is fairly generic because most people have a formal name for their patron gods, like Shiva or Vishnu, Odin or Larry. If they said Ronto Gish rebels! I'd be like ah Yeah! The mighty Ronto Gish reigns supreme! But God Speed is something we say here on earth. And folks that just say stuff like God speed or praise God are almost always referring to the Judeo Christian one, which isn't SW to me.

datatapes likes this.
  16. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I hate to point this out (not really), but there are quite a few phrases that are used in Star Wars which have their roots in Western culture. That's just one of them. Many monotheistic religion refer to their god generically. I mean, that's what Jews, Christians and Muslims do too. The god of Abraham's proper name is Yahweh.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    Or felgercarb!

18. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Considering these were underworld gang members and pirates a bit of blue language - as long as it was in-universe - is fine.

I'm pretty sick of hearing derivations of "scum" or "rebel scum".

But a bit of wit would be nice. I always liked Leia's "laserbrain" and "nerfherder" sass.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As quite possibly the most vulgar speaker I know who wayyyyy overuses profanity even when it's inappropriate to do so, I also feel a bit irked by how overdone it felt in Solo

I kind of see the point in that the idea is this time that our main cast is outlaws, low class street scum, or otherwise shifty folks, but ehhh. I dunno

20. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Which means the God I am. But we're talking star wars where the rebel alliance and resistance all revere the Force, not God or gods. The force is the preferred concept the denizens of the galaxy of which we are familiar put their faith in, even those who cannot use it. The phrase didn't fit and can't really be made to . The religion of SW is unique in that it referred to an energy source as the spiritual focus rather than a named deity.

21. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I don't mind the odd bit of swearing here and there and being a British person I've never considered Hell and Damn to be swears, but it does feel out of place in this fantasy realm of space wizards and ewok teddy bears. It feels too modernised and Earthly when L3 said the British take on ass, or when Finn called DJ a b*****d. And did Lando say **** or ship? I couldn't tell it went by too fast.

Now I'm all for James Mangold directing a Boba Fett film but does there need to be swearing in it? I'll admit that makes me sound like a mom but could you imagine Boba Fett swearing? He's cool enough for most people without needing to swear. And now I've got the image of Jabba swearing in Huttese and its just dumb. Most of the swearing that isn't Hell or Damn is not really needed unless the writers of these films get lazy for dialogue. Can you make the Sith more evil just by having them swear like sailors? No.

Sarge and Organafan like this.
  22. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    L3's use of "ass" isn't exclusively a British use. It seemed natural enough to me. But them, I'm someone who thinks the use of swear words, contemporary or fantastical, is actually appropriate. Like I said, I work with Military folks every day. Them there are sentence enhancers. I mean, I'm not suggesting Deadwood in space, but I Solo didn't even move my outrage needle a little.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lando literally almost saying **** was fantastic. Cuz it COULD have been a Star Wars'ian nonsense line like Shhhhlarghbax! or something. L3's presumptuous ass line didn't even register as profanity to me.

I do wish we had gotten a "Karabast!" in there somewhere, there was one in Rogue One. Also I get the feeling "Moof Milker" may not be a *mild* expletive. So at least we got one Star Wars-ian silly swear word.

Silent Android and Plan741 like this.
  24. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't really remember the part where Lando almost said that. It may have struck me in the same way as the Biker Scout saying "what the-"
    If the words are in movies, the description will be that the movie has profanity or "adult language." If you could get in trouble for saying it in school or to parents, it is profanity basically. It might be a matter of when you grew up watching TV; in the late '80s, I remember being surprised to start hearing "asss" in network TV shows like "L.A. Law" that were in the 9:00 (10:00 Eastern) slot.
    The profanity in Logan made the movie seem like it was trying too hard to stand out and be taken as a gritty comic book movie. Just because a movie has a certain level of seriousness or maturity doesn't mean it has to have profanity. I might not even notice the lack of it. All the talk of a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie seems to be driven simply by people wanting to hear lots of cusswords in a Star Trek movie, like that overrated episode of "Black Mirror."

Sarge likes this.
  25. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    "Back off chuba face, your breath smells like bantha poodoo!"
    =Mission Vao

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.